"over-active" Lifters On Smoking 2009 Silverado 5.3l Afm

I started my truck last night after work via remote start. As I exit the door I can hear a knocking/rattling/tapping (whatever you wanna call it) noise. Sure enough, as I get closer its my truck. I could hear it from 50 yards away! No joke! My truck sounded like a woodpecker was inside the engine compartment! I may be an unlucky one as well :rolleyes: I don't even have 10,000km yet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey man i,ve got an 09 silverado 5.3 L doing the same thing... I've took it to two dealerships and they gave me the run around.. They don't know what the hell is wrong with it... Did you get yours fixed and if so what was it so i can give them the answers that they still yet haven't found..

My smoking 2009 Silverado 5.3 that used 2 QT's of oil from 2,500 to 4,500 miles is in at my dealer getting a complete set of new AFM Lifters installed. So another case of over-active AFM lifters documented in case any of your trucks smoke excessively at startup, or consume too much oil. My Dealer's Tech tell's me that GM say's to replace the lifters. Oil collecting in the intake is an indicator. No they wouldn't replace all of the lifters with Non-AFM lifters and turn off the AFM in the computer - Believe me I asked. The 6.2 is the only way to go if I could do it over!!! :banghead:

Ron

Startup2.jpg

Jared, there are many new 5.3 AFM engines with this problem, including mine. Tell your dealer to look up bulletin:

#PIP4492J: Excessive Oil Consumption And / Or Blue Exhaust Smoke - Possible PCV Baffle Or Lifter Concern.

They will start you on an "Oil Consumption Record" and when they see your truck burns more than 1 quart in 2000 miles they will replace all your AFM lifters with the same shiity AFM lifters. :banghead:

Fix it right the first time with some LS7 lifters and get rid of that DOD once and for all! CLICKY HERE :crackup:

That's awesome TR is offering an AFM delete kit. I've conducted alot of business with those guys and they are top notch. If I ever have problems like this out of warranty I will be deleting the AFM and gong back to old school tech that works. It's a very easy swap on these LS motors. I had my LS1 apart 3-4 times with different heads, cams etc....

Fix it right the first time with some LS7 lifters and get rid of that DOD once and for all! CLICKY HERE :crackup:

That's awesome TR is offering an AFM delete kit. I've conducted alot of business with those guys and they are top notch. If I ever have problems like this out of warranty I will be deleting the AFM and gong back to old school tech that works. It's a very easy swap on these LS motors. I had my LS1 apart 3-4 times with different heads, cams etc....

I'm liking the idea of a cam and this kit! :rollin:

You all can rest assured that if some dork comes out with an AFM add on kit, I will not be buying one. :crackup:

hahah...ive talked to a guy at work that had this same problem with his 09'. such a shame...that AFM is a joke, i drove a couple pick-ups with it...i thought it was really a waste of money.

Can anyone on here please tell me the fastest, most economical way there is to TURN AFM Off on my 5.3? Do I have to buy a tuner to do it? My dealer say's he "can't" turn it off" even if he wanted to... Will someone "rent" me a tuner for 5 minutes please!!!

Ron

I have HP Tuners, and would shut it off for $100 + a good bottle of wine. It costs $100 for the credits to edit your tune.

I've run almost all of my 13,500 miles with AFM disabled. I've not had a problem except for a slight rattle occasionally...nothing that sounds abnormal to me.

You might want to try some local muscle car boards like ls2gto.com or ls1tech.com and post up in the regional section near you to see if you can find someone with HP Tuners to shut it off.

Gerry

I've run almost all of my 13,500 miles with AFM disabled. I've not had a problem except for a slight rattle occasionally...nothing that sounds abnormal to me.

And think about it - why should there be a problem after all? You're just converting the engine back into a full-time V8. If doing that causes valvetrain issues, then it's obvious GM has weakened something else in the valvetrain to run the AFM in the first place, given that GM has built V8s with sufficient valvetrains for a long time prior to the GMT900.

Can anyone on here please tell me the fastest, most economical way there is to TURN AFM Off on my 5.3? Do I have to buy a tuner to do it? My dealer say's he "can't" turn it off" even if he wanted to... Will someone "rent" me a tuner for 5 minutes please!!!

Ron

I have HP Tuners, and would shut it off for $100 + a good bottle of wine. It costs $100 for the credits to edit your tune.

You might want to try some local muscle car boards like ls2gto.com or ls1tech.com and post up in the regional section near you to see if you can find someone with HP Tuners to shut it off.

Gerry

Yeah, the only problem is that on these engines it doesn't matter if the AFM is on or disabled, you are still going to have the valve/lifter problems. Sounds like with the '09s it is really bad... AFM SUCKS and a Direct Injected V-8 or DOHC would really be an improvement I'm sure! Can't wait for 2012 to see what they come up with.

Can't wait for 2012 to see what they come up with.

What will they come up with in 2012? They will delete cruise control, power windows and locks as standard equipment on LT1 equipment trucks, that's what. And they will add about 50 more Chinese made critical parts to these trucks to make them break down more often. :crackup:

Archived