"over-active" Lifters On Smoking 2009 Silverado 5.3l Afm

Fix it right the first time with some LS7 lifters and get rid of that DOD once and for all! CLICKY HERE :crackup:

That's awesome TR is offering an AFM delete kit. I've conducted alot of business with those guys and they are top notch. If I ever have problems like this out of warranty I will be deleting the AFM and gong back to old school tech that works. It's a very easy swap on these LS motors. I had my LS1 apart 3-4 times with different heads, cams etc....

I'm liking the idea of a cam and this kit! :rollin:

Yes, Yes Yes giggity!!!! :lol:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the only problem is that on these engines it doesn't matter if the AFM is on or disabled, you are still going to have the valve/lifter problems. Sounds like with the '09s it is really bad... AFM SUCKS and a Direct Injected V-8 or DOHC would really be an improvement I'm sure! Can't wait for 2012 to see what they come up with.

You are correct. Even with AFM disabled my truck still smoked like the picture at hot startup. The problem isn't the V4 mode, it's the defective valvetrain components. And I also agree that it REALLY started showing up with the 09 models. Mine also has started rattling like a diesel on cold starts now too and I'm on my second set of lifters.

I'm probably going to put the LS6 out of my Z06 with a torque converter in my truck and put an LS7 in my Z06. Then I'll use the 5.3 out of my truck for an anchor in my boat.

And think about it - why should there be a problem after all? You're just converting the engine back into a full-time V8. If doing that causes valvetrain issues, then it's obvious GM has weakened something else in the valvetrain to run the AFM in the first place, given that GM has built V8s with sufficient valvetrains for a long time prior to the GMT900.

Because, as this guy points out, I still have the AFM lifters.

Yeah, the only problem is that on these engines it doesn't matter if the AFM is on or disabled, you are still going to have the valve/lifter problems. Sounds like with the '09s it is really bad... AFM SUCKS and a Direct Injected V-8 or DOHC would really be an improvement I'm sure! Can't wait for 2012 to see what they come up with.

I've left it disabled for two reasons. After reading the description of AFM and how it enables/disables the lifters, I came to the conclusion that, excluding ripping the heads off and replacing them, the only thing I can do as a consumer that ***might*** help is to disable them. Just going off the description, the hydraulically actuated locking pins would almost seem to be a logical point of wear. I'm hoping that leaving them locked will help reduce it.

The second reason I left it disabled, is that I get slightly better gas mileage with it shut off. Therefore, I see no reason to enable it again. FWIW, unlike others, I could not feel it engage or disengage.

Gerry

Man, did we just have an era of 5.3 V8's that were BULLETPROOF ????????

Right???

1999-2006. Great Engine. A little piston slap, a coolant pump here or there...

Now look what we have. Cheap valvetrain components. Burning oil. Sticking / bending valves.

At the dealer, we just fixed a 08 Yukon XL 5.3. One new valve, new AFM lifters, AND an oil pump were on the Warranty bill. Came in with a dead cylinder. Turns out locking pin on AFM lifter broke, pushed the valve into the piston, bent the valve, lost compression.

GM is seriously getting CHEAP, and a severe lack of R&D time. Wow.

Man, did we just have an era of 5.3 V8's that were BULLETPROOF ????????

Right???

1999-2006. Great Engine. A little piston slap, a coolant pump here or there...

Now look what we have. Cheap valvetrain components. Burning oil. Sticking / bending valves.

At the dealer, we just fixed a 08 Yukon XL 5.3. One new valve, new AFM lifters, AND an oil pump were on the Warranty bill. Came in with a dead cylinder. Turns out locking pin on AFM lifter broke, pushed the valve into the piston, bent the valve, lost compression.

GM is seriously getting CHEAP, and a severe lack of R&D time. Wow.

Careful, Stealth. Last time I posted a topic with the title "GM is one cheap company" because they keep eliminating spare tires on cars and making them optional, someone deleted the entire thread.

• 1 month later...

Mine is Aluminum LC9, think it does not make a difference! if you get the cheap stuff you will have the problem regardless!!

Elminating the spare tire is not a big deal if they give me top quality drive train

ANYONE TRIED THE DOD DELETE KIT suggested by Z'06?????

my truck sounds like a cummings turbo diesel. but the ticking and smoke is apparently normal... does anyone else have problems with their truck continuing to start after it is started? mine does it all the time and it sounds horrible. apparenlty my lift, gears, tires, or axle swap caused all these problems according to the two nearest gm dealers. its quite a load of shit if you ask me. i plan on going to a different dealer very soon.

my truck sounds like a cummings turbo diesel. but the ticking and smoke is apparently normal... does anyone else have problems with their truck continuing to start after it is started? mine does it all the time and it sounds horrible. apparenlty my lift, gears, tires, or axle swap caused all these problems according to the two nearest gm dealers. its quite a load of shit if you ask me. i plan on going to a different dealer very soon.

I think I read about the starter problem, there is a fix for it...If I find it I will post it here

Did a quick check, if it is something new,,check your fuel,,,you may need to refill with good fuel and injector cleaner..also could be the switch sticking..dealer should know.

So WHERE is the GM RECALL on the 5.3 AFM Engine? GM Needs to remove the AFM and retune the computer. What a bunch of Sh!t... I'll end up being forced to trade in this truck at the 50K mile warranty mark for this manufacturers engine design mistake...

Ron

BTW - I got my new set of AFM lifters installed about 4K miles ago. Got to give my dealer (Bud's Chevy in Ohio) credit for doing a good repair job on the engine top end tear down/rebuild job. So far no excessive smoking, but still consumed/lost a quart and a half of Mobil 1 oil in 4K miles since repair. So problem will most likely reappear.

Ron

So WHERE is the GM RECALL on the 5.3 AFM Engine? GM Needs to remove the AFM and retune the computer. What a bunch of Sh!t... I'll end up being forced to trade in this truck at the 50K mile warranty mark for this manufacturers engine design mistake...

Ron

Just because you got a lemon doesn't mean GM needs to do a recall. Recalls are for safety issues, not a statistical blip of vehicles which encounter a problem that is completely correctable by GM dealer service departments.

Archived