"over-active" Lifters On Smoking 2009 Silverado 5.3l Afm

Guess this is the free post thread now? Here's mine:

:noway:

Two words -- "Statistically Insignificant."

Maybe, but you do not know how many people are experiencing similar issues and not reporting them.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you referring to people who have the audacity to criticize GM products on this site?

I'm talking about the percentage of engines using AFM/DoD technology produced that actually experience problems. A statistically insignificant percentage.

My 07 Z71 5.3L AFM has yet to have this problem. But I'm going to look into the oil consumption tomorrow. Has me kinda worried, haven't checked it in 1000kms or so.

Has your truck ever used any oil in the past at all? If not, I'd say it's a bit irrational to be "worried" about it if you've never experienced an issue. Keeping an eye on it is certainly a good idea as a means for routine preventative maintenance, but it's no cause for worry.

Are you referring to people who have the audacity to criticize GM products on this site?

I'm talking about the percentage of engines using AFM/DoD technology produced that actually experience problems. A statistically insignificant percentage.

GM's market share will soon be "statistically insignificant" if it keeps cranking out crappy, smoking engines right off the assembly line. Word of mouth spreads far and fast about things like this.

GM's market share will soon be "statistically insignificant" if it keeps cranking out crappy, smoking engines right off the assembly line. Word of mouth spreads far and fast about things like this.

Only if people who refuse to have some perspective and act reasonably blow things way out of proportion. :cool:

Truck never uses a drop of oil, but i do not tow with it yet either. So so far so good but i think i a shouldn't have a problem seems to be only the 09's. But i will keep an eye on it that's for sure.

I have an 08 with 30k and I just had the lifters replaced along with pistons and rings. Dealer said there is a fix to the oil burning that GM will have out very soon. Then the truck goes back in for the fix. I guess it is like an umbrella that forces the oil down rather than straight out. It has been tested. Just waiting for production.

Mine burned about 2 quarts in about 400 highway miles. If it is around town it wont burn a drop. New lifters, pistons and rings and it still burns. Wonder how long the wait will be for this fix? Before the pistons and rings, it sounded like a school bus when it first started. Now it is quiet as can be.

• 2 weeks later...
Considering I had to have my lifters replaced as well, I doubt the issue has anything to do with AFM. Probably just some cheap/defective parts. When I had mine replaced the dealer had already seen at least 2 6.2's with the issue. Who knows how many more since then. Still working out a rough idle issue... but at least the lifters are good to go.

....fow now.

I have a 2009 5.3L EFI and have only 3,000 miles on it and it's in the garage to get a new lifter on cylinder #2. The clip that holds the lifter in place broke. Must be a somewhat common problem with the EFI engines?? :thumbs:

^^^^^ :thumbs: ^^^^^

"What knocking sir? Are you reffering to the roar coming from that 315 hp enigine under the hood?"

There's nothing more frustrating than a Service Tech Manager trying make sh!ty excuses for an obvious problem.

Most of my past vehicles have been GM products and have only owned a few Japanese vehicles.

I can tell you that it's a world of difference the way you are treated at the import dealerships compared to their GM counterparts.

"What knocking sir? Are you reffering to the roar coming from that 315 hp enigine under the hood?"

There's nothing more frustrating than a Service Tech Manager trying make sh!ty excuses for an obvious problem.

Most of my past vehicles have been GM products and have only owned a few Japanese vehicles.

I can tell you that it's a world of difference the way you are treated at the import dealerships compared to their GM counterparts.

We've been through this already: go find a different dealership!

I've had pretty much 100% positive experiences at most of the GM dealerships I've been to. It isn't the manufacturer's fault that some of the dealer franchises aren't as reputable as others.

I have an 08 with 30k and I just had the lifters replaced along with pistons and rings. Dealer said there is a fix to the oil burning that GM will have out very soon. Then the truck goes back in for the fix. I guess it is like an umbrella that forces the oil down rather than straight out. It has been tested. Just waiting for production.

Mine burned about 2 quarts in about 400 highway miles. If it is around town it wont burn a drop. New lifters, pistons and rings and it still burns. Wonder how long the wait will be for this fix? Before the pistons and rings, it sounded like a school bus when it first started. Now it is quiet as can be.

It looks like a school bus, it is almost as big as a school bus, so why shouldn't it sound like one? :thumbs:

Considering I had to have my lifters replaced as well, I doubt the issue has anything to do with AFM. Probably just some cheap/defective parts. When I had mine replaced the dealer had already seen at least 2 6.2's with the issue. Who knows how many more since then. Still working out a rough idle issue... but at least the lifters are good to go.

....fow now.

I have a 2009 5.3L EFI and have only 3,000 miles on it and it's in the garage to get a new lifter on cylinder #2. The clip that holds the lifter in place broke. Must be a somewhat common problem with the EFI engines?? :thumbs:

No problem with all EFI engines, just with the AFM EFI engines. These AFM equipped engines use special valve lifters and associated hardware.

....fow now.

No problem with all EFI engines, just with the AFM EFI engines. These AFM equipped engines use special valve lifters and associated hardware.

However it's important to note that only a small number of the AFM EFI engines actually experience any problems. The vast majority work as they are supposed to.

Archived