"over-active" Lifters On Smoking 2009 Silverado 5.3l Afm

"What knocking sir? Are you reffering to the roar coming from that 315 hp enigine under the hood?"

There's nothing more frustrating than a Service Tech Manager trying make sh!ty excuses for an obvious problem.

Most of my past vehicles have been GM products and have only owned a few Japanese vehicles.

I can tell you that it's a world of difference the way you are treated at the import dealerships compared to their GM counterparts.

We've been through this already: go find a different dealership!

I've had pretty much 100% positive experiences at most of the GM dealerships I've been to. It isn't the manufacturer's fault that some of the dealer franchises aren't as reputable as others.

Sorry to tell you this my friend, but the manufacturer is just as much to blame as the dealership for SH!TY service.

Not only is the manufacturer responsible for producing quality vehicles free of defects. They, the manufacturer's are also responsible for maintaning a dealership network that reflect the manufacturer's committment to quality and respect.

STOP!!! I already know what you're (V8GMT) gonna say. "How is the manufacturer suppose to know about the poor customer service being provided at that location"?

I've contacted GM corp. everytime I've been treated like crap by this dealership (Dutton Motors in Riverside, Ca).

I should also add that on one occassion there was another dissatisfied owner ripping into the Service manager for the bad service being provided.

Now back to my point.... GM has made only one attempt in contacting me. A service rep called me to take a report about 6 months ago and I haven't heard back from him since. If corperate customer service can't get their act together. How can one expect the dealerships to give a SH!T about someone who already handed over $30K+?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"What knocking sir? Are you reffering to the roar coming from that 315 hp enigine under the hood?"

There's nothing more frustrating than a Service Tech Manager trying make sh!ty excuses for an obvious problem.

Most of my past vehicles have been GM products and have only owned a few Japanese vehicles.

I can tell you that it's a world of difference the way you are treated at the import dealerships compared to their GM counterparts.

I've had pretty much 100% positive experiences at most of the GM dealerships I've been to. It isn't the manufacturer's fault that some of the dealer franchises aren't as reputable as others.

Sorry to tell you this my friend, but the manufacturer is just as much to blame as the dealership for SH!TY service.

Not only is the manufacturer responsible for producing quality vehicles free of defects. They, the manufacturer's are also responsible for maintaning a dealership network that reflect the manufacturer's committment to quality and respect.

STOP!!! I already know what you're (V8GMT) gonna say. "How is the manufacturer suppose to know about the poor customer service being provided at that location"?

I've contacted GM corp. everytime I've been treated like crap by this dealership (Dutton Motors in Riverside, Ca).

I should also add that on one occassion there was another dissatisfied owner ripping into the Service manager for the bad service being provided.

Now back to my point.... GM has made only one attempt in contacting me. A service rep called me to take a report about 6 months ago and I haven't heard back from him since. If corperate customer service can't get their act together. How can one expect the dealerships to give a SH!T about someone who already handed over $30K+?

Something tells me there's more to this story than you're letting on. I have honestly never had a poor experience like this AT ALL with GM customer service, be it dealer level or corporate level. I find it hard to believe that you've really done the needful on your own end adequately enough to make a resolution to the problems happen.

And no, it is NOT the manufacturer's duty to send someone from corporate out to every dealership on a daily basis to make sure they're doing right by their customers. Sorry, it just isn't. Does McDonald's send someone from corporate to run each of its franchised stores? How about Taco Bell? Office Depot? 7-11? Ford/Chrysler? Toyota/Honda? Nope, none of the above.

I get really, really tired of seeing people misplace their anger and aggression and throwing blame where it isn't deserved.

Guys,

I created an old post about lifters, and now I have an update that there is a new TSB PIP4499D, where it says updated lifters will be available July/August 2010.

I don't have access to the full text, can you please post the full text for PIP4499D (not B not C)

Many thanks

"How can one expect the dealerships to give a SH!T about someone who already handed over $30K+?" - gabet95

They did a long time ago, but short-term memory loss seems to have become rampant in the sales force hanging out at what are called "dealerships" these days. Can any of you remember the salesman with his little book of past clients, who sent out birthday cards, and called every once in a while to see how the car/truck was running, and reminded you when it was about time to consider trading it in on a new model? You won't find that happening now. Out the door; out the mind! Am I wrong?

"How can one expect the dealerships to give a SH!T about someone who already handed over $30K+?" - gabet95

They did a long time ago, but short-term memory loss seems to have become rampant in the sales force hanging out at what are called "dealerships" these days. Can any of you remember the salesman with his little book of past clients, who sent out birthday cards, and called every once in a while to see how the car/truck was running, and reminded you when it was about time to consider trading it in on a new model? You won't find that happening now. Out the door; out the mind! Am I wrong?

Also, the salesman turnover at big dealerships is simply amazing. If I go to some large Chevy dealer here in Florida and talk to a salesman, chances are high that he will not work there six months later. So there is no one to "remember" you as a customer.

Welcome to life in the 21st century. I'm sure everyone here has had crappy customer service be it with a car, computer, cell phone, electronics, or even at the store. The days of companies going out of their way to make the customer happy are OVER and are not likely going to return anytime soon. Get used to it. Life is not fair, no matter how much $$$ you spend on a product, your not entitled to special treatment.

Life sucks sometimes. Something your parents should have taught ya.

What my parents taught me when I was growing up (right up till the day they died) is a HECK of a lot different than what parents are letting their children be taught these days. If anybody REALLY gave a *hit, this country could return to a pretty good lifestyle by just practicing what we WERE taught, rather than accepting what the world says "is the style" now.

And the sales rep that adopts some of those old sales techniques could make some bucks (if he stuck with it for more than 6 months). JMO

Welcome to life in the 21st century. I'm sure everyone here has had crappy customer service be it with a car, computer, cell phone, electronics, or even at the store. The days of companies going out of their way to make the customer happy are OVER and are not likely going to return anytime soon. Get used to it. Life is not fair, no matter how much $$$ you spend on a product, your not entitled to special treatment.

Life sucks sometimes. Something your parents should have taught ya.

Just don't give up and keep the pressure...

Well.... I had a good car salesman for a number of years at a local Chev dealer.. bought two cars through him ... always reliable to contact and yes I would get a call from him about every 6 months ... I found out recently that he has moved to a Dodge dealer ... I'm not interested in a Dodge, or any newer truck at the moment, but I plan to keep in touch with him as he is very knowledgeable about trucks (he used to be a mechanic) and when I do want a newer vehicle He will still be the first place I go to talk to.... he still might be able to find me a Chevy.

I get really, really tired of seeing people misplace their anger and aggression and throwing blame where it isn't deserved.

Face it - the real problem is that GM overdid it when they tried to improve upon the Gen III engine by adding in a feature (AFM/DOD) that people are tuning out and finding little to no benefit mileage-wise to keeping. The electronic fix is simple (tune it out via PCM tuning) and may be all that is needed to ensure Gen IV engine longevity rivals that of Gen III.

However, mechanically speaking, the Gen IV lifters are demonstrably weak, requiring the removal of the heads on engines with sometimes extremely low mileage, so the question remains whether the Gen IV lifters are up to the task of holding on as long as the Gen III lifters have been capable of running.

You've been lucky so far, possibly the result of disabling AFM in one of the two vehicles listed in your sig. Perhaps you will fare well on the engine on which you have not yet disabled AFM.

You may be right dismissing all of these reported instances as mere exceptions, but there still remains a possibility that your engines might be the exception. Only time and mileage will tell.

Can any of you remember the salesman with his little book of past clients, who sent out birthday cards, and called every once in a while to see how the car/truck was running, and reminded you when it was about time to consider trading it in on a new model? You won't find that happening now. Out the door; out the mind! Am I wrong?

I remember that guy.... in fact that guy is who I buy my vehicles from.

There are still people out there who do these kinds of things and provide awesome service, you just have to look around and find them, or you have to just get lucky.

Face it - the real problem is that GM overdid it when they tried to improve upon the Gen III engine by adding in a feature (AFM/DOD) that people are tuning out and finding little to no benefit mileage-wise to keeping. The electronic fix is simple (tune it out via PCM tuning) and may be all that is needed to ensure Gen IV engine longevity rivals that of Gen III.

However, mechanically speaking, the Gen IV lifters are demonstrably weak, requiring the removal of the heads on engines with sometimes extremely low mileage, so the question remains whether the Gen IV lifters are up to the task of holding on as long as the Gen III lifters have been capable of running.

On the one hand, you state that the electronic fix of tuning AFM functionality out of the ECM "may be all that is needed to ensure Gen IV engine longevity," but you then go on to say that mechanically speaking "Gen IV lifter are demonstrably weak."

How does that logic follow? If the parts are mechanically weak, it should not matter whether the ECM is commanding the engagement of V4 mode or not. Mechanically weak parts will fail or otherwise cause eventual problems no matter what a piece of software is commanding them to do.

I have read some accounts here where people have said that ECM tuning to disable AFM has stopped their problems with smoking engines and/or oil consumption, but I don't consider that a true fix. It's merely masking the mechanical problem that still exists within the engine. I may be quick to dismiss the sentiment that any problems are widespread (keep reading to understand why), but I believe in cases where a problem does occur, a band-aid fix is far from adequate. A problem with mechanical parts warrants those parts being replaced.

You've been lucky so far, possibly the result of disabling AFM in one of the two vehicles listed in your sig. Perhaps you will fare well on the engine on which you have not yet disabled AFM.

You may be right dismissing all of these reported instances as mere exceptions, but there still remains a possibility that your engines might be the exception. Only time and mileage will tell.

I don't deny that it is possible that I could encounter a problem at some point, but if I do I at least have enough perspective to realize it's not GM's fault that a mass-produced part failed.

In addition to the two AFM-equipped engines I have now, I've had a couple others in the past that had higher mileage on them, and I work with several people who also have vehicles with AFM-equipped 5.3s that are treated much worse than I treat any of mine. I know of no problems whatsoever that any of them have had, even those with significantly higher mileage (100K+).

That is the sole reason I get so sick of seeing bitch-fest threads like this. Until I see proof of a major problem that is affecting a large number of trucks, I have no cause to think that a mechanical engineering blunder has occurred on the part of GM's powertrain division.

Something tells me there's more to this story than you're letting on. I have honestly never had a poor experience like this AT ALL with GM customer service, be it dealer level or corporate level. I find it hard to believe that you've really done the needful on your own end adequately enough to make a resolution to the problems happen.

And no, it is NOT the manufacturer's duty to send someone from corporate out to every dealership on a daily basis to make sure they're doing right by their customers. Sorry, it just isn't. Does McDonald's send someone from corporate to run each of its franchised stores? How about Taco Bell? Office Depot? 7-11? Ford/Chrysler? Toyota/Honda? Nope, none of the above.

Charlie,

I'm wondering what your situation could have been where you were forced to contact GM corp.

I'm not expecting GM to send someone out to the dealership just to address my concerns. I do however expect GM to investigate my claim and get back to me with some type of resolution in a timely manner.

Funny that you mention these companies......I use to work for one of them for many years. If a claim against one of our locations came in which we felt one of our corp reps needed to come out....guess what? We sent out a rep to address to situation.

Misplace their anger and aggression?!?!?!?!? If I'm disappointed with the service I've reveived from the dealership as well as GM corp. Where would you suggest I put the blame?????

Let's not turn this into a pissing contest. I'm giving my opinion based on my personal expeirences.

Guys,

I created an old post about lifters, and now I have an update that there is a new TSB PIP4499D, where it says updated lifters will be available July/August 2010.

I don't have access to the full text, can you please post the full text for PIP4499D (not B not C)

Many thanks

From what I have been told, recently, there is a fix that will force the oil down rather than straight out. Whether it is new lifters or a modification to the lifters, I am not sure. My dealer is thinking they are behind schedule on the fix and the parts were not in production in time to meet the July/August 2010 timeline.

[/b][/color]Misplace their anger and aggression?!?!?!?!? If I'm disappointed with the service I've reveived from the dealership as well as GM corp. Where would you suggest I put the blame?????

Be honest about this: were you diligent/persistent in your contact with the dealer and/or GM? I'm betting you could have gone about it differently and gotten a better response. In which case, yes it's misplaced aggression -- you should be kicking yourself for not pushing harder if (as I'm betting is likely) you didn't do so.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It doesn't mean you have to be nasty about it to them, but it does mean calling them every few days if they don't get back to you themselves. As I said before, "do the needful."

Let's not turn this into a pissing contest. I'm giving my opinion based on my personal expeirences.

Nobody is turning anything into a pissing contest, I'm just trying to point out that plenty of people have had positive experiences with these type of situations, which leads me to believe that if you're not having a positive experience, it either has to do with barking up the wrong tree or not doing the needful -- as opposed to "it happened because GM sucks and needs to die."

For the record, there is ALWAYS room for improvement when it comes to quality of service and products. There's a lot to be said for having reasonable expectations and taking on some responsibility yourself in dealing with problems, though.

Archived