Light Brown Stuff On Oil Cap And Pcv Valve!

okay this is my first real winter here in omaha Ne with my silverado and today i checked the oil and i needed to add a little bit and upon opening the oil cap i found this light brown creamy stuff on the oil cap, so i searched further and also found it on the PCV valve. i have been reading on the internet that in some cars its normal durning the winter months and short trips causing condensation inside the engine. so is this true could it just be condensation or some thing worse?

i checked my oil dip stick and the oil looked pretty normal on there.

Matt

I've seen lots of engines have condensation on the filler cap...some were coated with white snot...and almost made me think the head gasket was gone...but no snot on the dipstick is usually an indication that its just condensation and nothing more. keep an eye on the dip stick though...and wipe all the goo off the filler cap and keep an eye on it...say check it once a week, and note the amount each time.

If you start getting snot on the dipstick...stop driving it and get it in to a shop for a leak down test.

Gentlemen,

Good trick for finding water in oil is to let a drop of dipstick oil fall on the exhaust manifold of a hot engine. If it just spreads quietly, all is OK. If it splutters and spatters, water is present.

In this situation, water is just small amount of condensation from short trips in cold weather. Old air cooled vw engines used to actually overfill crankcase because of excessive condensation.

Ken

Gentlemen,

Good trick for finding water in oil is to let a drop of dipstick oil fall on the exhaust manifold of a hot engine. If it just spreads quietly, all is OK. If it splutters and spatters, water is present.

In this situation, water is just small amount of condensation from short trips in cold weather. Old air cooled vw engines used to actually overfill crankcase because of excessive condensation.

Ken

That's a good tip...thanks Ken...I never thought of that one.

Gentlemen,

I used to own a Ford. You learn all kinds of tricks to keep them running. Actually like taking a fancy auto maintenance course for $5,000.00. Maybe everyons should own one, just to see the difference.

ken

Gentlemen,

I used to own a Ford. You learn all kinds of tricks to keep them running. Actually like taking a fancy auto maintenance course for $5,000.00. Maybe everyons should own one, just to see the difference.

ken

LOL...nice dig man.

I owned a couple fords my self...but they were when I was in college...so they cost me like 200 bucks...so when they started to give out...it was a game to see how long they would last...we actually used to take bets on some of them....like how many days I could go without oil in the engine before it seized.

Don't worry though...they weren't anything interesting...one was an 88 4 banger mustang the other was an 83 ranger. I also had an 86 pontiac Grand prix...that one had no floor from the back end of the front seats back...paid 150 for her and used it for 9 months one year and 3 months the next year....winter sucks when there's no floor...LOL...and I'm originally from Newfoundland...

God I had a few more too...but this is a little off topic now...LOL

I like my GM and all, but I have never had a problem with any ford I have owned and do not recall any problem with any in the family. We run Rangers with 2.3's in a delivery fleet at my NAPA. They are good for somewhere around 650k which is about 5 or 6 years (with normal maintenance, cheapest oil possible changed at every 3k) before the engine comes out for a rebuild (a delivery driver and 650k is a testament)..... We drive them till they get a death issue from a wreck.... From a family with numerous fords in our past and present, I never remember anything that sticks out in my mind that ever caused a issue to warrant a "found on road dead" problem. Also, same with the GM's......

But, Back to the topic at hand. It's probably moisture from driving in the cold climate. Keep a watch on the dip stick for growing oil issues (which would be a BAD thing)....

Jbo

Well i took it to the Stealer and YEP BAD NEWS... it has a bad head gasket but its covered under my extended warranty.... So my trucks going to be there for a couple days and every thing will be covered.... the Mechanic said it just started and wasnt too bad but he's sending the heads to be checked to make sure that they are good. so that Light Brown stuff is BAD...!!!!

Well i took it to the Stealer and YEP BAD NEWS... it has a bad head gasket but its covered under my extended warranty.... So my trucks going to be there for a couple days and every thing will be covered.... the Mechanic said it just started and wasnt too bad but he's sending the heads to be checked to make sure that they are good. so that Light Brown stuff is BAD...!!!!

Well its bad....but its good that its covered.

I have rarely seen snot on the cap and none on the dipstick and it been a head gasket issue. Head gaskets are usually accompanied by sweet smelling exhaust and lots of white smoke.

okay this is my first real winter here in omaha Ne with my silverado and today i checked the oil and i needed to add a little bit and upon opening the oil cap i found this light brown creamy stuff on the oil cap, so i searched further and also found it on the PCV valve. i have been reading on the internet that in some cars its normal durning the winter months and short trips causing condensation inside the engine. so is this true could it just be condensation or some thing worse?

Matt

Short trips and not letting the engine warm up 100% or be able to cruise at highway speeds for at least 30 minutes will allow condensation build up in this cold weather we are having for sure! I wouldn't really worry about it. Shorter oil change intervals help to keep inside engine buildup to a minimum in the colder weather for those that just do short trips.

Matt

Short trips and not letting the engine warm up 100% or be able to cruise at highway speeds for at least 30 minutes will allow condensation build up in this cold weather we are having for sure! I wouldn't really worry about it. Shorter oil change intervals help to keep inside engine buildup to a minimum in the colder weather for those that just do short trips.

You should probably read the whole post Nick...he brought it to the dealer and his head gasket(s) are gone.

yeah from what i seen on the dip stick it looked normal but from what the tech said at the Stealership it was the head gaskets starting to go bad an it just started leaking into the oil, but its all covered and im happy about that, by time i left the mechanic had the upper and lower intake off and starting to take off the heads. so by time i get my truck back my engine will be nicely rebuilt with another 12 month 12000 mile warranty on the gaskets ect.

is this a common issue with the 5.3 V8 engine?

Archived