Truck Starts Then Dies Right Away

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

truck was running great, now she won't continue to run. she turns over then dies. ive taken two aftermarket alarms and a remote start out the past couple nights. it has to be something to do with the security system. my security light doesn't come on anymore when i turn the key to the on position.
any ideas? i have every wire you can imagine exposed in this truck. i have absolutely no interior except the drivers seat. so getting to wires is no problem.
98 gmc sierra 1500

#2 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

is it this pass lock stuff im reading about? this is driving me a little crazy

#3 Rod R

Rod R

Enthusiast

• 778 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

... experience I have had with faulty Passlock (on a 2002 Impala) was that there was just no response when turning the key... like the starter was disconnected from the system ...

... I understand that 98 was the first year for the key cylinder passlock in the trucks (my '97 does not have Passlock) :thumbs:

... depending on the actual response.. sometimes just waiting 10 minutes would allow the car to start ok ... if it is the key cylinger wearing out then sometimes it just thinks that somebody is screwing around with the key cylinder and so it shuts down the starting circuit for 10 minutes to avoid a car theft

... my parking lot 'quick fix' for the Passlock on the Impala was to pull the ECM or the BCM fuse (can't remeber which one) for a few seconds and put it back in ... that seemed to reset whatever was the stupid problem.. sold the car last summer
Rod Ramage, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan CANADA
1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne C2500 xcsb w/ 5.7L Vortec & 4L60E; 3.73 gears w/ G80 (231,000 km)

#4 GREASE MONKEY

GREASE MONKEY

Enthusiast

• 81 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

had same problem with my 2001 after working in dash, turned out too be 10amp tbc fuse in underhood fuse box

#5 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

what is the TBC, is that have to do with the BCM? isn't my BCM under the steering wheel?

#6 GREASE MONKEY

GREASE MONKEY

Enthusiast

• 81 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

not sure if the 98 is the same as the 01 but the tbc is the label for the body controller fuse, the controller is under steering column but the fuse on the 01 was in underhood fuse panel, basically find the bcm fuse.

Edited by KAIDEN, 07 January 2010 - 09:27 AM.

#7 KYoutback

KYoutback

Enthusiast

• 260 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

My brother was having a problem with his 1500, I'm not sure what year it is. The problem he was having was that it would start but not keep running. He was thinking fuel pump or fuel filter. He was about to take it to a dealer to be checked out when someone told him to turn the key to the on position and leave it there until the dash lights went out then start the truck. He did this and says the truck is running fine now.

It reset the security system.
Posted Image

#8 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

my security light doesn't even come on. it should light up for a couple seconds when you turn the key to on. no light comes up. i wish the light would come, then i could reset it. im worried the alarm and remote start installers removed some of the original passlock modules. i know you have to bypass it to install a remote starter. ive read and understand how to bypass it now but i need that light to come on. i have to connect something back up to get the power or signal back to the passlock system. just not to sure how.
the book doesn't show me where the bcm is. there is a lot of relays under there, if i knew what color the wires were i could trace it down.
any help would be great, thanks for the ideas so far

#9 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

my security light doesn't even come on. it should light up for a couple seconds when you turn the key to on. no light comes up. i wish the light would come, then i could reset it. im worried the alarm and remote start installers removed some of the original passlock modules. i know you have to bypass it to install a remote starter. ive read and understand how to bypass it now but i need that light to come on. i have to connect something back up to get the power or signal back to the passlock system. just not to sure how.
the book doesn't show me where the bcm is. there is a lot of relays under there, if i knew what color the wires were i could trace it down.
any help would be great, thanks for the ideas so far

#10 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,722 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

98 and 01 are completly different ,

you need to have this looked at by a tech,

Edited by gmtech4, 07 January 2010 - 08:25 PM.

How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#11 KYoutback

KYoutback

Enthusiast

• 260 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

My brother was having a problem with his 1500, I'm not sure what year it is. The problem he was having was that it would start but not keep running. He was thinking fuel pump or fuel filter. He was about to take it to a dealer to be checked out when someone told him to turn the key to the on position and leave it there until the dash lights went out then start the truck. He did this and says the truck is running fine now.

Did you try this? It's a pretty simple thing so it's at least worth a shot.
Posted Image

#12 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Did you try this? It's a pretty simple thing so it's at least worth a shot.

i did try it. thats when i realized i have no security light showing up. i can't get it to go on at all. i'm going to try installing a passlock II bypass module and see what happens. i have a feeling its not going to be good.

#13 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

was just told the passlock II bypass module won't help.

#14 Jsdirt

Jsdirt

Enthusiast

• 988 posts
  • Drives:2007 Silverado Z71, 4x4, 5.3 LMG, LT2

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Did you check that fuse? I pulled my hair out for a day or so until I checked the fuses under the hood on the wifey's 2000 Jimmy. Sure enough, replaced the fuse & it started right up.

All that BS just to test the stupid multifunction switch when the wipers would only work on HI. Ended up being the wiper motor anyway ... then hi-beams wouldn't work! :lol: So I bought a foot switch for a '70 Nova. Works like a charm now! :lol:
Posted Image

#15 matt76

matt76

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

i found at least one problem. when i was removing the alarm system i noticed what looks like a tiny amplifier attached to the metal tubing. being as smart as a am i detached it and threw it away. then i found another strange module that was below the stereo near the tiny amp and i thought that was part of the oem stereo too. so out it went.
what were these two objects? i'll go look at the wires and post back how many and what colors if that will help any.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users