Truck Starts Then Dies Right Away

matt76

Question

truck was running great, now she won't continue to run. she turns over then dies. ive taken two aftermarket alarms and a remote start out the past couple nights. it has to be something to do with the security system. my security light doesn't come on anymore when i turn the key to the on position.

any ideas? i have every wire you can imagine exposed in this truck. i have absolutely no interior except the drivers seat. so getting to wires is no problem.

98 gmc sierra 1500

0 answers to this question

Did you check that fuse? I pulled my hair out for a day or so until I checked the fuses under the hood on the wifey's 2000 Jimmy. Sure enough, replaced the fuse & it started right up.

All that BS just to test the stupid multifunction switch when the wipers would only work on HI. Ended up being the wiper motor anyway ... then hi-beams wouldn't work! :lol: So I bought a foot switch for a '70 Nova. Works like a charm now! :lol:

My brother was having a problem with his 1500, I'm not sure what year it is. The problem he was having was that it would start but not keep running. He was thinking fuel pump or fuel filter. He was about to take it to a dealer to be checked out when someone told him to turn the key to the on position and leave it there until the dash lights went out then start the truck. He did this and says the truck is running fine now.

It reset the security system.

Did you try this? It's a pretty simple thing so it's at least worth a shot.

my security light doesn't even come on. it should light up for a couple seconds when you turn the key to on. no light comes up. i wish the light would come, then i could reset it. im worried the alarm and remote start installers removed some of the original passlock modules. i know you have to bypass it to install a remote starter. ive read and understand how to bypass it now but i need that light to come on. i have to connect something back up to get the power or signal back to the passlock system. just not to sure how.

the book doesn't show me where the bcm is. there is a lot of relays under there, if i knew what color the wires were i could trace it down.

any help would be great, thanks for the ideas so far

my security light doesn't even come on. it should light up for a couple seconds when you turn the key to on. no light comes up. i wish the light would come, then i could reset it. im worried the alarm and remote start installers removed some of the original passlock modules. i know you have to bypass it to install a remote starter. ive read and understand how to bypass it now but i need that light to come on. i have to connect something back up to get the power or signal back to the passlock system. just not to sure how.

the book doesn't show me where the bcm is. there is a lot of relays under there, if i knew what color the wires were i could trace it down.

any help would be great, thanks for the ideas so far

not sure if the 98 is the same as the 01 but the tbc is the label for the body controller fuse, the controller is under steering column but the fuse on the 01 was in underhood fuse panel, basically find the bcm fuse.

My brother was having a problem with his 1500, I'm not sure what year it is. The problem he was having was that it would start but not keep running. He was thinking fuel pump or fuel filter. He was about to take it to a dealer to be checked out when someone told him to turn the key to the on position and leave it there until the dash lights went out then start the truck. He did this and says the truck is running fine now.

It reset the security system.

the pic helped a little but im still not sure what was there. its a 16 pin connector with only 12 wires in it. it sits directly underneith the stereo in a little thin black box maybe 5x5.

Black w/white

brown

yellow (12v with key on)

white

pink (12v with key on)

purple

red with white

orange with black

light blue

grey

green with white (5 volt with key on)

Orange (12v all the time unless i pull the security fuse #21)

Yellow (another yellow no signal)

thanks for everyones help so far. we're getting closer

(1) S266

(2) S256

(3) S255

(4) D203

(5) S258

(6) C231

(7) Crossbody Harness

(8) S257

(9) Radio Amplifier Relay

(10) S259