Fuel Pressure Problem 1997 Chevy C1500

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 impalassondubs

impalassondubs

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

well im new to this forum so thanks in advance!!!

i have a 1997 chevy c1500 2wd 5.7L 350. lately i have been having a problem starting
from time to time. the engine is newly tuned up so no ignition problems are expected. fuel pump and sock is only a year old. i did a fuel pressure test and when i turn the key in the on postion, i hear the fuel pump come on like its supposed to, however it only reads 50psi til the pump stops. then the pressure goes down to 20psi and holds. with some doing, i can get it running and the gauge reads 50psi steady. is there a problem here?? is the pressure supposed to drop when the pump stops? i thought it was supposed to hold steady..... manufacture suggested fuel pressure is 60-66psi. while driving the truck at low rmps it drives great. upon heavy excelleration it hesitates bad and pops and bucks....

any ideas???

thanks

shilo edgar
fl

[email protected]

#2 ss502gmc

ss502gmc

Enthusiast

• 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

well im new to this forum so thanks in advance!!!

i have a 1997 chevy c1500 2wd 5.7L 350. lately i have been having a problem starting
from time to time. the engine is newly tuned up so no ignition problems are expected. fuel pump and sock is only a year old. i did a fuel pressure test and when i turn the key in the on postion, i hear the fuel pump come on like its supposed to, however it only reads 50psi til the pump stops. then the pressure goes down to 20psi and holds. with some doing, i can get it running and the gauge reads 50psi steady. is there a problem here?? is the pressure supposed to drop when the pump stops? i thought it was supposed to hold steady..... manufacture suggested fuel pressure is 60-66psi. while driving the truck at low rmps it drives great. upon heavy excelleration it hesitates bad and pops and bucks....

any ideas???

thanks

shilo edgar
fl
fuel filter change??

[email protected]

[size=4][b]2001 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD LT 8.1L/Allison Ext Cab Long Bed, Hypertech Max Energy tuned, 4:10 Rear End, Prodigy P3 Brake Controller, LT285/75/16E BFG A/T KO, Westin Tube Steps, Vent Shade Rain Guards, BackRack, 8 Ft. Fisher Plow MM2, Whelen 90 Watt Hideaway Clear Corner Strobes, Whelen Guardian Lightbar

#3 grose67

grose67

Enthusiast

• 393 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

Sounds like the pump is heading south. I have seen them go bad in a years time.
Posted Image">

When I get to where I'm going, you'll know where I'm at.......

#4 impalassondubs

impalassondubs

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

fuel filter change??

fuel filter has recently been replaced

#5 impalassondubs

impalassondubs

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Sounds like the pump is heading south. I have seen them go bad in a years time.

re: could it be the fuel pressure regulator or injector assembly?

of course the year warranty that came with the pump is past. i dont wanna just throw parts at it hoping!!

#6 Jsdirt

Jsdirt

Enthusiast

• 922 posts
  • Drives:2007 Silverado Z71, 4x4, 5.3 LMG, LT2

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Take the fuel filter off & try to blow through it in direction of fuel flow ...... any resistance at all, change it.
Posted Image

#7 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,783 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

Check filter.

Pressure should be 55-62 minimum according to GM. Probably pump, pressure regulator

Edited by txab, 06 January 2010 - 11:32 PM.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#8 impalassondubs

impalassondubs

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

i did another fuel pressure test, KOEO, this time with the return fuel line blocked off. my pressure went to 55psi til the pump stopped and then still dropped to 20psi. does that tell me its not the pump???

anyone??

thanks!!

#9 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

i did another fuel pressure test, KOEO, this time with the return fuel line blocked off. my pressure went to 55psi til the pump stopped and then still dropped to 20psi. does that tell me its not the pump???

anyone??

thanks!!

If there are no obvious leaks anywhere...than this tells you it is in fact the pump...the fuel is bleeding back through and in turn venting pressure back in the tank.

Now have you done this with the air breather off to ensure it wasn't an injector leaking down.

Search the truck for leaks too.

My guess with this though is that it would be the pump...line pressure should hold steady if it has no where to go.

Having said that I would buy pressure regulator too. I would install it first as regulators sometimes leak internally....and besides...if your putting a new pump on...you may as well have a new regulator too. If the stock one is on there its probably not far from going anyway...and they're cheap anyway.

Edited by Nytemare, 07 January 2010 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
2010 Cobalt 2.2L LT 2Dr. Victory Red....gas saver/wife's Car.......SOLD
2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo 1LT Crystal Red ...Again, Wifes car and gas saver
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#10 Rod R

Rod R

Enthusiast

• 778 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

... you need a NEW FUEL PUMP .... no question that this will fix the problem ....

.. if you still have a warranty on your 1 year old pump... then get it replaced on warranty

.. otherwise go to a dealer and buy a ACDelco pump or to NAPA (or similar store) and buy a Delphi brand pump

.. Airtex pumps are know to be far less reliable than the OE pumps (ACDelco or Delphi)... don't buy a fuel pump off ebay (there are too many counterfeit-brand stuff on there and for a fuel pump you can't take the risk....
Rod Ramage, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan CANADA
1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne C2500 xcsb w/ 5.7L Vortec & 4L60E; 3.73 gears w/ G80 (231,000 km)

#11 impalassondubs

impalassondubs

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

thanks guys.....looks like im headin to napa to get a pump.......

i let u know how it turns out!!!

thanks

s

#12 impalassondubs

impalassondubs

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

do i need to wire in a new plug when installing new pump???

i see some of the pumps come with a wiring harness....

thanks

#13 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:21 PM

no its direct replacement. you unplug one and plug in the new one
Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
2010 Cobalt 2.2L LT 2Dr. Victory Red....gas saver/wife's Car.......SOLD
2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo 1LT Crystal Red ...Again, Wifes car and gas saver
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#14 Tripp33

Tripp33

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

no its direct replacement. you unplug one and plug in the new one

Having same problem with 97 C1500 base 4.3L. Starts great, runs at idle...put in gear and sputters and backfires through cat. Was 56 psi at schrader valve. Was going to change pump but pump was going from 0psi to 56 within 1-sec....whew, can't be pump. So before I spent 200. to 400. on a pump I took the upper plenum off and found that the fuel pressure regulator had gunk all over it and that the vacuum end that doesn't have a hose that connects to it....(guess it gets its vacuum being inside the plenum???) was all caked up with crud. I took it off and made sure the filter screen was clean and cleaned out that end of it that had crud in that little pipe end that points down. Wha-la 62psi. So, don't condemn the pump so fast.

Augusta, GA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users