Steering Wheel Audio Controls

I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado with cruise control, but no steering wheel audio controls. I was told I can purchase GM part number 25851951, and the wiring harness is already prewired in the steering wheel. Is this True?

Has anyone made this modification. Is this a hard install? Any help is greatly appreciated.

post-69679-1262911319_thumb.jpg

I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado with cruise control, but no steering wheel audio controls. I was told I can purchase GM part number 25851951, and the wiring harness is already prewired in the steering wheel. Is this True?

Has anyone made this modification. Is this a hard install? Any help is greatly appreciated.

No, this is not true. You must replace the entire wheel with one that has the steering wheel controls in it. The wiring is the one thing that you cannot purchase, and the wheel would have to be cut to fit the switches. They run around 235 or so brand new. Watch ebay.

My 2009 was set up the same way, did not have the wiring in the steering wheel. I bought a used steering wheel on eBay, swapped out the wiring harness and audio controls into my existing steering wheel, trimmed the plastic to make it fit, and everything works great! Hardest part was getting the air bag off of the steering wheel, but it's not bad once you figure it out.

thanks for the info... will look into it

My 2009 was set up the same way, did not have the wiring in the steering wheel. I bought a used steering wheel on eBay, swapped out the wiring harness and audio controls into my existing steering wheel, trimmed the plastic to make it fit, and everything works great! Hardest part was getting the air bag off of the steering wheel, but it's not bad once you figure it out.

Wow! I've been reading different posts on this site and they all contradict themselves....some say the wiring is in the column, some say it ain't , other says it fits, other says no.......Which is it??? I'm confused?

Also, some say the airbag is easy to remove some say otherwise...is there any danger that it deploys on its own? Since it will be my first time removing an air bag, I'm afraid I will trigger something while I'm fishing for the release springs.

Any advice.....! Thanks

Alright! Here is what I'm dealing with. I took the following pictures with my airbag removed. I don't seem to have any wires/harness for the audio. Is there someone out there with a picture of there steering wheel that have the audio control already so I can see the wiring scheme. It shouldn't be hard to fix since there is no wiring that can go through the steering column. This being said, I believe this is just an harness situation. Plus I will need to buy a new shroud because the one that have doesn't have the hole to accept the part.

post-71527-1263604495_thumb.jpgpost-71527-1263604525_thumb.jpgpost-71527-1263604542_thumb.jpg

post-71527-1263604495_thumb.jpg

post-71527-1263604525_thumb.jpg

post-71527-1263604542_thumb.jpg

Alright! Here is what I'm dealing with. I took the following pictures with my airbag removed. I don't seem to have any wires/harness for the audio. Is there someone out there with a picture of there steering wheel that have the audio control already so I can see the wiring scheme. It shouldn't be hard to fix since there is no wiring that can go through the steering column. This being said, I believe this is just an harness situation. Plus I will need to buy a new shroud because the one that have doesn't have the hole to accept the part.

post-71527-1263604495_thumb.jpgpost-71527-1263604525_thumb.jpgpost-71527-1263604542_thumb.jpg

Great pictures and was it easy to open? There are a couple posts on here that discuss how to wire the controls your self. I also found on the How To tips sections how to open the airbag and they discussed buying a steering wheel with a wiring harness and swapping out the steering wheel harness, I am going to try and see if the dealer will be able to sell one, they need a vin# for a truck that has this in it. I bought the audio controls already and all I need to do is dremel out an opening all the screw holes are there, no need to replace the shroud.

You cant just buy the shroud that has the access holes for the new switches or the wiring harness that goes into the wheel. Unless you find a junker or ebay donor, you need to buy a new wheel. Then it's plug and play. To end all the confusion, the column is wired in all the trucks, but the wheel without steering wheel audio controls are not wired. The airbag comes off very easily if you get the "feel" for the release mechanisms. I went down this same road a year ago.

I was apprehensive at first to remove the airbag, but once you did it once, there really isn't much to it!. This being said, a lot of folks here are saying that if you have want the audio controls and you already have the cruise controls, all you need to do is buy the harness and no need to buy the shroud since it already has the screw holes, all you need to do is to dremmel the whole...is this true? Does someone have pics. of this....that would save me so much!!!

I was apprehensive at first to remove the airbag, but once you did it once, there really isn't much to it!. This being said, a lot of folks here are saying that if you have want the audio controls and you already have the cruise controls, all you need to do is buy the harness and no need to buy the shroud since it already has the screw holes, all you need to do is to dremmel the whole...is this true? Does someone have pics. of this....that would save me so much!!!

Once again, you cant buy the harness for the steering wheel audio controls.....you can dremel the wheel, but you have to buy a wheel to get the harness for the audio controls, so why bother? AGAIN - YOU CANT BUY THE HARNESS FOR THE STEERING WHEEL AUIDO CONTROLS. IT'S PART OF THE STEERING WHEEL......unless you find an donor wheel from the yard or ebay you must buy a steering wheel. They cost 150 from gmpartsdirect.com

Awesome....bought the whole steering package from GMPartsDirect.com.

Thanks and sorry for being a pest on details...I've been burned before...

No, you are certainly not a pest. I went through the same thing when I got my truck and someone had to give me the low down too. I don't blame you for verifying, I certainly did too.

yes the gm steering wheels are pricey. but just keep a look out and you will find a good deal. i picked up one with audi and cruise controls for 82$ my truck does not have either so i know im going to have to get all the other parts to get the cruise to work. the audi. im hoping thats just a plug n play. ill be getting my steering wheel soon so ill find out soon..

Archived