Lifter Noise From Syn Oil?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ballon78

ballon78

Enthusiast

• 157 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Ok so i've read alot about the NNBS 5.3 and AFM lifter noise....mine doesnt do it so far, but im starting to wonder if only the 5.3 with syn oil tick? Syn oil having very small molicule can escape from the lifter causing them to bleed down.....just an idea. I have always run Mobil 1 but with 2000 miles on my new truck thinking about just running dino oil and change every 3000....from all oil info i have read because of the large size of dino oil a truck wont leak oil as much as a truck with syn if the truck has warn seals.....so maybe thats what happening....

So i would like to know, if people have had the ticking noise with reg good quality dino oil too.
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB 5.3 Black w/ black leather loaded, Kenwood nav. w/ rear back-up cam, 1.5 RC, 1.5 Zone Body, gm wheel liners, Goodyear Siolent Armor 285/70-17 (33x11.5-17) on factory wheels, Corsa rear Dual exhaust with magnaflow tips, Headrest DVD's, Mr.tail light foglight mod, Weathertech Digitfit mats, Predator Programer, Araid Filter with AFM off.
2007 Silverado LTZ 5.3 Black Leather Loaded w/Factory Navigation, GM 20's
Mods: Corsa Dual Sport System w/ magnaflow tips, Diablo Programer w/ AFM Disabled, 4" Rancho Suspension Lift w/ 9000 XL shocks, Drop in K&N, PAC IPOD Touch interface, Toyo Open Country 305/60R20 Tires (34.5X12.5-20) (Sold)

#2 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

The molecules are more uniform, not necessarily smaller. Oil that is rated ILSAC GF-4 API SM 5W30 will be 30 weight at operating temperature whether conventional or synthetic.

There are many vehicles that come from the factory with synthetic.

https://www.mobiloil...ed_Mobil_1.aspx

#3 c4cruiser

c4cruiser

Enthusiast

• 847 posts
  • Name:George
  • Drives:08 Black Silverado Z71 6.0

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

My 08 6.0L motor has 12K on it right now and I started with Mobil-1 at the first oil change. No signs of leaks anywhere. As far as lifter noise, I have some, but I don't think that synthetic oil is the issue. Seems like the AFM lifter noise is more of an engineering thing than related to oil types or even viscosity.

If you have run dino oil for some years and then switch to a full synthetic, oil leaks may appear due in part to the improved cleaning action of a synthetic. Any build-up of sludge or deposits that covered spots where leaking was occurring will be removed and leaks will usually return. Today's motors are assembled using better gasket materials and sealants so leaks should not be as bad or in as many places.

As mentioned, full synthetics are used in a number of engines as the factory fill. Been that way with Corvettes since 1992.

Using Mobil-1 gull synthetic in your truck won't hurt anything and it will not be an issue with the AFM components. You can easily go 5000 miles or even more between oil changes. If you do your own oil changes, get Mobil-1 in the 5-quart jugs at Wal-Mart and a good filter. Going something like 6K between changes will be OK and your cost will be about the same as a dino oil and filter change every 3000 miles.

#4 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

When all 8 cylinders are active, those lifters are locked with a pin.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#5 ballon78

ballon78

Enthusiast

• 157 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

I understand how the afm works, but when the vehical sits for a cold soak depending on which valves have a load on them they puch down on the hydrolic lifter and i think thats when the oil is pushed out and then when you start up cold this tick till the oil is ack in lifter and foam is out.
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB 5.3 Black w/ black leather loaded, Kenwood nav. w/ rear back-up cam, 1.5 RC, 1.5 Zone Body, gm wheel liners, Goodyear Siolent Armor 285/70-17 (33x11.5-17) on factory wheels, Corsa rear Dual exhaust with magnaflow tips, Headrest DVD's, Mr.tail light foglight mod, Weathertech Digitfit mats, Predator Programer, Araid Filter with AFM off.
2007 Silverado LTZ 5.3 Black Leather Loaded w/Factory Navigation, GM 20's
Mods: Corsa Dual Sport System w/ magnaflow tips, Diablo Programer w/ AFM Disabled, 4" Rancho Suspension Lift w/ 9000 XL shocks, Drop in K&N, PAC IPOD Touch interface, Toyo Open Country 305/60R20 Tires (34.5X12.5-20) (Sold)

#6 JZ7109

JZ7109

Enthusiast

• 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

It's not just the trucks, it's any LS series engine. I had a 2000 Z28 that had the same lifter noise, which didn't change or go away when I put new LS7 lifters in it. It was actually one of the very first things I noticed when I drove the new truck. I see it as one of those things that goes away when you turn the radio up a little more.

#7 intheb0x

intheb0x

Enthusiast

• 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

ive heard that Mobil1 has been getting thinner and thinner throughout the years.

what i have found that has kept my motor more quiet is Valvoline Syntec... im not running a vortec, i have a northstar v8 that can be noisy, strictly was a mobil 1 guy until i started reading more and found out that the valvoline was a higher rated oil and something else i read about it too that was positive that had to do with some rating..

so ive used mobil 1, penzoil platinum synthetic and finally valvoline and the valvoline is the more quiet of the bunch all 5w30.

i wouldnt switch back, plus the valvoline is cheaper.

#8 butzers09silverado

butzers09silverado

Enthusiast

• 565 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

I had the tick and it was nasty this morning.... 17 degrees out, i think temp doesn't help, it didn't go away after 1 mile, at about the same time the temp hit about 185-190 and that was after it sat warming up for 5 mins or so. I got in the truck and the needle just started to move as i did.

It didn't happen on the dino oil, but i only ran that for 800 miles before going to Mobil 1. i've only noticed it in significance twice now, and both days it was below 15F

2009 Silverado
5.3L Aluminum V8 4spd
Ext. Cab LT

side exit exhaust muffler delete

http://www.youtube.c...me?feature=mhsn

#9 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Try a bottle of GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement)
Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
2010 Cobalt 2.2L LT 2Dr. Victory Red....gas saver/wife's Car.......SOLD
2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo 1LT Crystal Red ...Again, Wifes car and gas saver
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#10 jro909

jro909

Your Own Personal Jesus

• 4,079 posts
  • Drives:04 1500 Silverado

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

ive heard that Mobil1 has been getting thinner and thinner throughout the years.

what i have found that has kept my motor more quiet is Valvoline Syntec... im not running a vortec, i have a northstar v8 that can be noisy, strictly was a mobil 1 guy until i started reading more and found out that the valvoline was a higher rated oil and something else i read about it too that was positive that had to do with some rating..

so ive used mobil 1, penzoil platinum synthetic and finally valvoline and the valvoline is the more quiet of the bunch all 5w30.

i'm the opposite, not trying to light any fires but i had lifter click until i put in mobil one and bam gone, i think its individual luck for the most part, hell theres gifted people running supertech and i can only imagine how much protecting 1.75 oil is giving
RCLB 5.3, 3.42 gears, Z85/82 Bilstein Hds, General AT2 Grabbers

Man fears what he does not understand- Anton LaVey

Old People Drive Slow To Make The Most Of The Time They Have Left

Member of the Red Truck Club

Proud Vortec Owner

#11 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

i'm the opposite, not trying to light any fires but i had lifter click until i put in mobil one and bam gone, i think its individual luck for the most part, hell theres gifted people running supertech and i can only imagine how much protecting 1.75 oil is giving

Yeah but these guys are talking about AFM lifters. I have no ticking in my truck either, and I'm running synth oil....but its not AFM

Edited by Nytemare, 13 January 2010 - 01:37 PM.

Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
2010 Cobalt 2.2L LT 2Dr. Victory Red....gas saver/wife's Car.......SOLD
2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo 1LT Crystal Red ...Again, Wifes car and gas saver
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#12 C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,005 posts
  • Name:Charlie
  • Drives:08 Sierra CCSB All Terrain

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

I have not just one, but TWO of the 5.3L AFM V8s, and both have Mobil 1 5W30 in them. No noise, no other problems at all.

My Sierra though has AFM disabled via the ECM. That shouldn't matter though since the physical AFM components are still there.

Edited by V8GMT Guy, 13 January 2010 - 03:51 PM.

2008 GMC Sierra CC SLT "All Terrain" Z71 4x4
Stealth Gray Metallic | Ebony UltraSoft Leather | 5.3L FlexFuel AFM-Delete V8 | 3.73 Locking Differential (G80)
Airaid MIT | K&N Drop-In | HP Tuners | Line-X Over-the-Rail | Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite | Spencer's 6K HID Conversion Low Beams and Fogs | OEM Navigation | OEM OnStar Bluetooth | Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars

2009 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD
Quicksilver Metallic | Ebony Leather | 5.3L AFM V8 | 3.42 Locking Differential (G80)
"IEATSRT8'S" CAI | Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar | HP Tuners

#13 J-man67

J-man67

Teeny Weeny

• 2,680 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

I really think there is TWO different ticking noises people are hearing. One is normal....one is certainly NOT. Listen to mine and tell me if this is what you are hearing.

http://s32.photobuck...nt=MVI_1077.flv
611784ee-0b49-48d1-8e08-f1580404fde8.jpg

07 Sierra Z71 Crew SLE2

#14 BKfirefighter3221

BKfirefighter3221

Enthusiast

• 55 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

Doesn"t sound good. Is it only on the drivers side?? And you only have 2000 miles on it??? I'd be taking it back to the dealer if it is under warranty. Also if you pull any heavy trailers keep an eye on the rear exhaust manifold bolts breaking off, been seeing it more and more on the newer GM trucks, ie. 5.3 and 6.0L engines. Not saying it is in your case but a lot of people mistake those for lifter tick. Does it go away or get better the longer the engine runs? I had a first year 5.3L silverado with a horrible cold start piston slap, switched to Mobil one and it went away for the most part, different problem but I thought I would mention it.

#15 Ryan00TJ

Ryan00TJ

Enthusiast

• 566 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

I have not just one, but TWO of the 5.3L AFM V8s, and both have Mobil 1 5W30 in them. No noise, no other problems at all.

My Sierra though has AFM disabled via the ECM. That shouldn't matter though since the physical AFM components are still there.

Same as me although I still have AFM turned on.
DSCN2901.JPG
08 GMC Sierra EC/SB, SLE1PP, Z71,"LY5" 5.3L, 4x4, 4L60E, Fire Red
2010 Ebony Seats, 3.73, AutoTrac, G80, HD Trailer Package, 275/65/18 AT3's, 18" Chrome All Terrain Wheels, ArmorThane Spray Liner, GM Wheel Liners, GM Molded Mudguards, Chrome 3 Bar Grille, GM 6" Ovals, GMC polished Tip, GMPP CAI, Corsa 14637 Sport Muffler, BlackBear Tuned,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users