Lifter Noise From Syn Oil?

Ok so i've read alot about the NNBS 5.3 and AFM lifter noise....mine doesnt do it so far, but im starting to wonder if only the 5.3 with syn oil tick? Syn oil having very small molicule can escape from the lifter causing them to bleed down.....just an idea. I have always run Mobil 1 but with 2000 miles on my new truck thinking about just running dino oil and change every 3000....from all oil info i have read because of the large size of dino oil a truck wont leak oil as much as a truck with syn if the truck has warn seals.....so maybe thats what happening....

So i would like to know, if people have had the ticking noise with reg good quality dino oil too.

My 08 6.0L motor has 12K on it right now and I started with Mobil-1 at the first oil change. No signs of leaks anywhere. As far as lifter noise, I have some, but I don't think that synthetic oil is the issue. Seems like the AFM lifter noise is more of an engineering thing than related to oil types or even viscosity.

If you have run dino oil for some years and then switch to a full synthetic, oil leaks may appear due in part to the improved cleaning action of a synthetic. Any build-up of sludge or deposits that covered spots where leaking was occurring will be removed and leaks will usually return. Today's motors are assembled using better gasket materials and sealants so leaks should not be as bad or in as many places.

As mentioned, full synthetics are used in a number of engines as the factory fill. Been that way with Corvettes since 1992.

Using Mobil-1 gull synthetic in your truck won't hurt anything and it will not be an issue with the AFM components. You can easily go 5000 miles or even more between oil changes. If you do your own oil changes, get Mobil-1 in the 5-quart jugs at Wal-Mart and a good filter. Going something like 6K between changes will be OK and your cost will be about the same as a dino oil and filter change every 3000 miles.

I understand how the afm works, but when the vehical sits for a cold soak depending on which valves have a load on them they puch down on the hydrolic lifter and i think thats when the oil is pushed out and then when you start up cold this tick till the oil is ack in lifter and foam is out.

It's not just the trucks, it's any LS series engine. I had a 2000 Z28 that had the same lifter noise, which didn't change or go away when I put new LS7 lifters in it. It was actually one of the very first things I noticed when I drove the new truck. I see it as one of those things that goes away when you turn the radio up a little more.

ive heard that Mobil1 has been getting thinner and thinner throughout the years.

what i have found that has kept my motor more quiet is Valvoline Syntec... im not running a vortec, i have a northstar v8 that can be noisy, strictly was a mobil 1 guy until i started reading more and found out that the valvoline was a higher rated oil and something else i read about it too that was positive that had to do with some rating..

so ive used mobil 1, penzoil platinum synthetic and finally valvoline and the valvoline is the more quiet of the bunch all 5w30.

i wouldnt switch back, plus the valvoline is cheaper.

I had the tick and it was nasty this morning.... 17 degrees out, i think temp doesn't help, it didn't go away after 1 mile, at about the same time the temp hit about 185-190 and that was after it sat warming up for 5 mins or so. I got in the truck and the needle just started to move as i did.

It didn't happen on the dino oil, but i only ran that for 800 miles before going to Mobil 1. i've only noticed it in significance twice now, and both days it was below 15F

ive heard that Mobil1 has been getting thinner and thinner throughout the years.

what i have found that has kept my motor more quiet is Valvoline Syntec... im not running a vortec, i have a northstar v8 that can be noisy, strictly was a mobil 1 guy until i started reading more and found out that the valvoline was a higher rated oil and something else i read about it too that was positive that had to do with some rating..

so ive used mobil 1, penzoil platinum synthetic and finally valvoline and the valvoline is the more quiet of the bunch all 5w30.

i'm the opposite, not trying to light any fires but i had lifter click until i put in mobil one and bam gone, i think its individual luck for the most part, hell theres gifted people running supertech and i can only imagine how much protecting 1.75 oil is giving

i'm the opposite, not trying to light any fires but i had lifter click until i put in mobil one and bam gone, i think its individual luck for the most part, hell theres gifted people running supertech and i can only imagine how much protecting 1.75 oil is giving

Yeah but these guys are talking about AFM lifters. I have no ticking in my truck either, and I'm running synth oil....but its not AFM

I have not just one, but TWO of the 5.3L AFM V8s, and both have Mobil 1 5W30 in them. No noise, no other problems at all.

My Sierra though has AFM disabled via the ECM. That shouldn't matter though since the physical AFM components are still there.

Doesn"t sound good. Is it only on the drivers side?? And you only have 2000 miles on it??? I'd be taking it back to the dealer if it is under warranty. Also if you pull any heavy trailers keep an eye on the rear exhaust manifold bolts breaking off, been seeing it more and more on the newer GM trucks, ie. 5.3 and 6.0L engines. Not saying it is in your case but a lot of people mistake those for lifter tick. Does it go away or get better the longer the engine runs? I had a first year 5.3L silverado with a horrible cold start piston slap, switched to Mobil one and it went away for the most part, different problem but I thought I would mention it.

I have not just one, but TWO of the 5.3L AFM V8s, and both have Mobil 1 5W30 in them. No noise, no other problems at all.

My Sierra though has AFM disabled via the ECM. That shouldn't matter though since the physical AFM components are still there.

Same as me although I still have AFM turned on.

Archived