Oil Coming Out Of Dip Stick Tube?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Mike02Tahoe

Mike02Tahoe

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Hello, I have a 02 Tahoe with a 5.3L flex fuel, which I recently supercharged. It has a K&N FIPK and flowmaster catback. I was recently testing the install, when I noticed a burning smell. Whe I opened the hood, come to find out the dipstick was 3" out of the tube and it looks as though oil shot out, hit the hood, and went all over the engine and headers (making the burning smell). It got me thinking, how does the crank case pressure release? My old tahoe with a 5.7 had a breather tube on the valve covers, but the 5.3 doesn't. Is it possible the pressure inside the engine built so much that it shot out the dip stick tube???

Posted Image

#2 RaddHazzard

RaddHazzard

Enthusiast

• 323 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Not 100 percent sure but check your PCV valve. Positive crankcase ventilation. I believe its on the drivers side valve cover. Just pull it out and shake it to make sure the ball inside is free and not stuck. Give it a good cleaning.

#3 Mike02Tahoe

Mike02Tahoe

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

Not 100 percent sure but check your PCV valve. Positive crankcase ventilation. I believe its on the drivers side valve cover. Just pull it out and shake it to make sure the ball inside is free and not stuck. Give it a good cleaning.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. On my first go around I didn't see a pcv, but I was also freezing and rushing my inspection since it was 11 degrees lastnight..... :)

#4 Alen Wayne

Alen Wayne

Enthusiast

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Off-topic but how much did you pay to get the super charger?

Posted Image

GMC Sierra 1500 LSE 4x4 -Reactor Series Alternator 130 amp - Single in dual out Magnaflow exhaust - 20 inch Akuza rims
Goodyear Wrangler tires

#5 Mike02Tahoe

Mike02Tahoe

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Off-topic but how much did you pay to get the super charger?

No worries, here's the thread I started in another section. Let me know if you have any further questions

http://www.gm-trucks...?...106996&st=0

#6 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Sounds like your pressurizing the crank case...I'm gonna say +1 on the PCV Idea.

You may have to put a BOV on the intake piping to vent pressure when you get off the gas though.
Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
2010 Cobalt 2.2L LT 2Dr. Victory Red....gas saver/wife's Car.......SOLD
2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo 1LT Crystal Red ...Again, Wifes car and gas saver
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#7 RJG183SA

RJG183SA

Enthusiast

• 156 posts
  • Name:Ron
  • Drives:2011 Sierra 2500 HD

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hello, I have a 02 Tahoe with a 5.3L flex fuel, which I recently supercharged. It has a K&N FIPK and flowmaster catback. I was recently testing the install, when I noticed a burning smell. Whe I opened the hood, come to find out the dipstick was 3" out of the tube and it looks as though oil shot out, hit the hood, and went all over the engine and headers (making the burning smell). It got me thinking, how does the crank case pressure release? My old tahoe with a 5.7 had a breather tube on the valve covers, but the 5.3 doesn't. Is it possible the pressure inside the engine built so much that it shot out the dip stick tube???

It definitely sounds like the crankcase is being over pressurized.

How much boost is being produced?

Worn rings?

Call the blower manufacturer's tech line see what they say.

Pretty sure the pcv uses a fixed orifice, no check ball.
2011 Sierra 2500 HD SLE Z71 4X4 6.0 3.73 - GM 6" Oval Assist Steps - GM Bed Rug - Tow Mirrors
- Corsa dB Catback Exhaust - *COMING SOON* BB Autocal tune

#8 Alen Wayne

Alen Wayne

Enthusiast

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

It does not say how much you paid for it lol.

Posted Image

GMC Sierra 1500 LSE 4x4 -Reactor Series Alternator 130 amp - Single in dual out Magnaflow exhaust - 20 inch Akuza rims
Goodyear Wrangler tires

#9 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

Worn rings?

Yeah I wasn't sure if the 02 had fixed orifice, or not. So if there is no check ball....does that mean it just permanently vents the Crank case....because boost would go in there all the time. The addition of a check valve would aid this....Am I thinking right here...

Rings are easy to check...just do a compression check. 190-210 I believe is excellent...160-190 is good, and below 160 is bad, for these engines.

Edited by Nytemare, 13 January 2010 - 12:26 PM.

Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#10 Mike02Tahoe

Mike02Tahoe

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

It does not say how much you paid for it lol.

Oh, I thought it did, sorry, it was an Ebay auction I won for $1200

#11 Alen Wayne

Alen Wayne

Enthusiast

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Nice man.. I might have to pick one up soon.

Posted Image

Goodyear Wrangler tires

#12 Mike02Tahoe

Mike02Tahoe

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

Worn rings?

Yeah I wasn't sure if the 02 had fixed orifice, or not. So if there is no check ball....does that mean it just permanently vents the Crank case....because boost would go in there all the time. The addition of a check valve would aid this....Am I thinking right here...

Rings are easy to check...just do a compression check. 190-210 I believe is excellent...160-190 is good, and below 160 is bad, for these engines.

Thanks Aiden and Ron, it does sound like I have too much crank case pressure. The Rings should be fine, it only has 60k on her and runs real smooth. I haven't done a comp test on it though. The pump is 'supposed' to put out 6psi, but from what I read, these are exagerated figures. And I can't call Powerdyne, long story but they got bought out and the current Co. doesn't support the product anymore.

When you mention a BOV, is the below left image what you're talking about? It links the intake and exhaust side of the blower pump. I didn't install this and wonder if I should.

The kit also included breather tubes, but didn't say where to install them??

Posted Image

and this is all it says about a breather tube (edit) I'll type it blow in case you can't read the pic

Step 2. Disconnect hose from passenger side valve cover to throttle body and remove it. Re-move air filter gauge and grommet in air filter housing. Install supplied grommet and straight fitting in air filter housing. Connect supplied vac¬uum hose from the valve cover to the air box. Install cap and tiewrap the port on the throttle body. Refer to figure 2 and 2a.

Posted Image

Edited by Mike02Tahoe, 13 January 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#13 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yeah install that tube between intake and "exhaust" side of the blower, thats your Bypass. It vents pressure in the charge pipe to the other side of the blower when the throttle plate slams shut...ie; when you are gassing it and you pull your foot off fast.

A BOV is what you hear on turbo cars...and can be used on S/C vehicles too...its the Pssssttttt you hear when a turboed vehicle shifts gears.
Posted Image

#14 Mike02Tahoe

Mike02Tahoe

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

Yeah install that tube between intake and "exhaust" side of the blower, thats your Bypass. It vents pressure in the charge pipe to the other side of the blower when the throttle plate slams shut...ie; when you are gassing it and you pull your foot off fast.

A BOV is what you hear on turbo cars...and can be used on S/C vehicles too...its the Pssssttttt you hear when a turboed vehicle shifts gears.

Alright, I'll install that, it makes sense now. Also, now that I read this over and over how 'the breather tube is connected to the throttle body' that must mean the SC is pressurizing the engine through BOTH the throttle body and through the breather tube if there's not a checkvalve in the breather assembly, right???

Aiden, do you know where I 'T' that vacuum line into? It's a rats nest under there and the direction don't specify

Posted Image

Edited by Mike02Tahoe, 13 January 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#15 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

I would "T" into something coming directly out of the manifold, thats where your guaranteed to get full manifold pressure/vacuum
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users