Oil Coming Out Of Dip Stick Tube?

MDelgado

Question

Hello, I have a 02 Tahoe with a 5.3L flex fuel, which I recently supercharged. It has a K&N FIPK and flowmaster catback. I was recently testing the install, when I noticed a burning smell. Whe I opened the hood, come to find out the dipstick was 3" out of the tube and it looks as though oil shot out, hit the hood, and went all over the engine and headers (making the burning smell). It got me thinking, how does the crank case pressure release? My old tahoe with a 5.7 had a breather tube on the valve covers, but the 5.3 doesn't. Is it possible the pressure inside the engine built so much that it shot out the dip stick tube???

1263220626.jpg

0 answers to this question

Aiden, there are a couple kits for the 4L60E. Do you think I'd need the boost valve?

http://racetransmissions.com/store/advance...7f5f895ab65887a

Sorry man...I dont even know what a boost valve is...I know a little about transmissions, but not a whole lot about the internal workings.

I usually recommend a jr shift kit from trans go to firm things up...but with a blower you may want to go with a stage 1...stage 2 is way to harsh for street driving.

no worries man! you've been a world of help! be careful, i might just start emailing you directly :D

go right ahead man...no worries there.

Servo's, Beast sun shell, kevlar bands... there's more but I'm no tranny guy. :lol:

I'm gona go broke hangin out with you guys :dunno:

Made a couple full speed runs tonight and ran a bunch of errands. I could feel a lot more power in the seat. More importantly, rerouting the ccv tube proved effective, no oil spills!!

Servo's, Beast sun shell, kevlar bands... there's more but I'm no tranny guy. :lol:

I'm gona go broke hangin out with you guys :dunno:

Made a couple full speed runs tonight and ran a bunch of errands. I could feel a lot more power in the seat. More importantly, rerouting the ccv tube proved effective, no oil spills!!

Good show...glad thats fixed...now on to your broken trans post....we'll be waiting patiently.

If it does happen man....just get a 4L80E it will hold...probably in stock form.

You guys and your comments, yur starting to sound like my friend with his F250 power stroke. C'mon :lol:

But if you are right both you pessimists are coming to Boston to help me with the swap :sleep:

In all seriousness, what do you think is worse, towing a boat close to your max towing capacity or a couple extra HP and getting on it every once in a while?

Thanks for all your help in my original posts guys! :dunno:

The supercharger....

Remember that your torque converter multiplies engine torque...if you add 100 ft lbs...you could be adding 250 ft-lbs or more to the gear case, I believe the stock Chevy trans has a 2.5X converter...I know you can get ones that are 4 and 5X

The boat on the back of your truck only adds weight...and chances are you will burn out the clutches, or strip the planetary set...added gear case torque will brake hard components, like the input shaft.

Best thing to do to save the trans you have is get a high-er stall converter, and a huge trans cooler...but not too high stall cause you wont be able to tow. I would go with a 2600 stall...best of both worlds.

If I remember right my 99 silverado 5.3 was a valve... when I did the tune up I pulled it and did the old shake test and nothing, sprayed some brake clean through it and the ball inside rattled when shook. Maybe not the the same design, just thought I'd mention it.

Yeah its one of those years man....I know 99 and 2000 had a PCV....my 03 has a fixed orifice...now which year did they change...I haven't the slightest.

Mike ,forget about 80s,ya can't just plunk 1 in the hole ,its not the same transmission at all in size ,it is not anybetter than a 60,

have a gooder 2

you buy a crossmember...or mod the one you have and swap positions of 2 pins in the trans barrel connector, than run 2 wires to the ECM for the ISS and secondary VSS...Its about a 3-5 hr swap...you also have to get the drive shaft modified if you have a 2WD...I an not 100% sure about 4wd shafts though.

And with the upgraded clutch packs...(40 bucks per pack,120 bucks total...and someone to put them in) you have a trans that will handle 600ft-lbs. With tuning and a shift kit you can bump it to 700. The stock Clutches suck though. PTAC builds them to take 1200 ft-lbs+ They come with dual planetary, hardened input and out put shafts....the list goes on...they can be made into a very stout trans.

The Allison could be adapted too...but its a lot more money..and you need a body lift among other things.

If I remember right my 99 silverado 5.3 was a valve... when I did the tune up I pulled it and did the old shake test and nothing, sprayed some brake clean through it and the ball inside rattled when shook. Maybe not the the same design, just thought I'd mention it.

Yeah its one of those years man....I know 99 and 2000 had a PCV....my 03 has a fixed orifice...now which year did they change...I haven't the slightest.

My best guess would be 2001 when they changed the whole emmissions system and did away with the EGR. I also have a fex fuel model and not sure if that makes a difference...

the reaction sunshell has had issues and has been updated ,however,your tranny will need whats been said already,just beef it a bit with some strong hard parts,sprags,vette thing( I still don't get that vette servo thing )2-4 band and a tune to make it shift right now.

put a gauge or access temp some how thru a tune box or however you young bucks manipulate the data in the PCM lol

abuse is the trannies biggest competitor,it can't compinsate electrically unless its a neutrl drop,it wont shift,

Allisons are the best for self preservation programming,you can run them empty and they will be fine lol

this is the best time for a talk on how the **** a vette servo makes a better shift with "surface area" being bigger VS oil pressure pushing on the servo being the same ????

are the sides thin walled or what for these aftermarket servos that someone posted pics of ??

My best guess would be 2001 when they changed the whole emmissions system and did away with the EGR. I also have a fex fuel model and not sure if that makes a difference...

Ok, cool... thanks for the info. Have not messed with any after my 99 and wasn't sure

You guys and your comments, yur starting to sound like my friend with his F250 power stroke. C'mon :lol:

But if you are right both you pessimists are coming to Boston to help me with the swap :sleep:

In all seriousness, what do you think is worse, towing a boat close to your max towing capacity or a couple extra HP and getting on it every once in a while?

Thanks for all your help in my original posts guys! :dunno:

the reaction sunshell has had issues and has been updated ,however,your tranny will need whats been said already,just beef it a bit with some strong hard parts,sprags,vette thing( I still don't get that vette servo thing )2-4 band and a tune to make it shift right now.

put a gauge or access temp some how thru a tune box or however you young bucks manipulate the data in the PCM lol

abuse is the trannies biggest competitor,it can't compinsate electrically unless its a neutrl drop,it wont shift,

Allisons are the best for self preservation programming,you can run them empty and they will be fine lol

this is the best time for a talk on how the **** a vette servo makes a better shift with "surface area" being bigger VS oil pressure pushing on the servo being the same ????

are the sides thin walled or what for these aftermarket servos that someone posted pics of ??

OK...you know how fluid dynamics works right...the greater the surface area the more force can be applied using the same pressure

P=F/A (Pressure, Force and Area) hence PSI...pounds per sq inch...LB/in2

Solving for F....F=PA so if you have 2 psi for pressure and a 2 sq inch surface on a piston....you will get 4 lbs of force...now increase that surface area by 1 sq inch...now you have 6 lbs of force.

The same works for the Vette servos...they have 35% more surface area...and since the pressure in the trans remains the same...Force becomes 35% more. The servo...as you know apply clamping force to the bands...so the bands are now clamped 35% tighter, and since more force is applied they react faster too.

Basically the corvette ones have a smaller hole in the center than the truck ones...thats where the surface area comes from ...the aftermarkets have a really small pin in the center and a flat face...giving them even more area.

OH and Mike....use these guys if you need a built trans in the future...probably cheaper than doing it your self.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm A 4L60E, built, will be enough until you catch the boost bug...than you'll have to upgrade to an 80...than a manual trans....LOL.

I would go for a level 2 or 3 seeing as how they are built with towing in mind. With the raptor drive package...lvl 3 will hold 600ft-lbs that should be plenty...and it can tow 6000lbs...in overdrive.

Archived