I Have A Question About Code P0220

I came home from work and had to go back out. The AV went into Limp mode (Reduce Power) and had 3 P0220 codes no other codes at all. So I looked it up it said Throttle Position Sensor 2. I did the normal thing and looked at the wiring at the throttle body and found out there is no separate position sensor on the throttle body Hummmm.

Did some more searching found out there is a code p0120 which I don't have for the TPS 1. So I guessing there are 2 circuits on the gas pedal. I also search here to find a answer.

Has anyone ever had the P0220 only.

By the way I hate Drive by wire The gas pedal is absolutely dead and it won't not go over 35 MPH and I have to clear the codes to make it run normal, but I don't want to drive it until I get it fixed because I don't want it to go into Reduced Power at a bad time. This is the first time my 2500 has let me down in 85,000 miles other than the cluster motor and when it dropped into 4 LO by itself.

P0220 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit

Not sensor 2....its the second circuit on the sensor.

There is a wide open circuit

There is a partial throttle circuit and

There is a shut circuit

They are Labeled Circuit A, B and C and they correspond to the 4 or 5 pins on the connector. Pin A Pin B Pin C and gnd...sometimes the partial circuit has its own gnd reference pin.

To test...you find B circuits pin...attach a lead of a multi meter to it and its gnd ref pin and move the Throttle plate. Watch the resistance change. Nice smooth transitions mean its good...you do this both at the TB and at the Pedal.

Thanks Nytemare, but I got one more question the diagram I have has the leads labelled rtn, sig, ref so is the rtn considered ground

Yeah rtn is the gnd.

This one is a little different...signal is the output from the peddle, ref is the "0" reference for the peddle and the TPS...so fully shut or fully open is based off this reference point and Sig is the difference between the reference and the wiper on the peddle rheostat. So between sig and ref is one circuit, sig and rtn is another and rtn and ref is another.

Well it stop throwing codes and runs fine, tested the sensor and it had I even flow. I'm thinking since it is so close to the gas pedal and the gas pedal is so far to the right I may have kicked it.

Or there was a little moisture or corrosion on the contacts...pulling it apart got rid of it and now everything is ok.

I would grab a little packet of dielectric grease...the stuff you put in plug wire boots...and put some on the connectors inside and outside.

• 5 weeks later...
Well it stop throwing codes and runs fine, tested the sensor and it had I even flow. I'm thinking since it is so close to the gas pedal and the gas pedal is so far to the right I may have kicked it.

Or there was a little moisture or corrosion on the contacts...pulling it apart got rid of it and now everything is ok.

I would grab a little packet of dielectric grease...the stuff you put in plug wire boots...and put some on the connectors inside and outside.

Grrrrr it happen again, just like before I park it for about 20 minutes start it up and it pops up 3 times. I have been monitoring and no codes.

Archived