Manual Transfer Case Wont Engage 4wd Hi

networknh

Question

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and looking for some assistance with a problem I noticed tonight upon trying to make it up my steep driveway in the snow. Just so everyone knows I am not a mechanic but definitely a "do it yourself" kind of guy and pretty mechanically inclined but I know my limits and leave the complex repairs to the pros who have the right tools and knowhow to get the job done right.

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0L with the NVG 5-Speed Manual tranny and the manual floor shifter for the transfer case (only about 76k miles on the rig). I got home and decided since my driveway was a little slick I'd put it into 4wd hi (from a stand still) and make my way up the driveway (on a side note, I haven't used 4wd hi in a while...lately the roads haven't been bad enough to warrant the use of it). Needless to say the light didn't illuminate on the dashboard but the shifter felt like it seated properly into the 4wd so I started to go and it didnt feel like the front end was gripping...no weird sounds, no clunking, almost like nothing even happened in the transfer case (i thought this was really strange so I put it back into 2wd hi and then back into 4wd hi thinking maybe it just hadn't been used in a while and needed to be worked back and fourth a few times). I did this and nothing...no grinding and no odd noises whatsoever. I eventually put it into 4wd lo and without a problem the light came on and I felt the front end engage...every so slowly I made it up the driveway. It will disengage from 4wd lo and go right into 2wd hi without a problem but getting into 4wd hi is where the main problem lies After about 3 hours tonight online searching I came across this website and thought maybe someone out there could possibly educate me a little about this issue and maybe the cause behind it before I bring it to my local mechanic.

The research I did online tonight lead me to believe it could be one of the following problems but I could be wrong:

Front Axle Actuator -

A faulty front axle actuator can cause the 4WD front axle to not engage properly.

Transfer Case Switch -

A faulty transfer case switch can cause the 4WD front axle to not engage properly.

Fuse -

A blown fuse can cause the 4WD front axle to not engage properly.

***I didn't know where the fuse might be for this as I checked in both the box inside the engine bay and inside the cab but found nothing...I didnt think there would be much giving this is not an automatic transfer case***

Any information would be sincerely appreciated as I don't have much money right now and I know anything with the drive train on these trucks can be pricey. Thank you in advance.

0 answers to this question

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and looking for some assistance with a problem I noticed tonight upon trying to make it up my steep driveway in the snow. Just so everyone knows I am not a mechanic but definitely a "do it yourself" kind of guy and pretty mechanically inclined but I know my limits and leave the complex repairs to the pros who have the right tools and knowhow to get the job done right.

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0L with the NVG 5-Speed Manual tranny and the manual floor shifter for the transfer case (only about 76k miles on the rig). I got home and decided since my driveway was a little slick I'd put it into 4wd hi (from a stand still) and make my way up the driveway (on a side note, I haven't used 4wd hi in a while...lately the roads haven't been bad enough to warrant the use of it). Needless to say the light didn't illuminate on the dashboard but the shifter felt like it seated properly into the 4wd so I started to go and it didnt feel like the front end was gripping...no weird sounds, no clunking, almost like nothing even happened in the transfer case (i thought this was really strange so I put it back into 2wd hi and then back into 4wd hi thinking maybe it just hadn't been used in a while and needed to be worked back and fourth a few times). I did this and nothing...no grinding and no odd noises whatsoever. I eventually put it into 4wd lo and without a problem the light came on and I felt the front end engage...every so slowly I made it up the driveway. It will disengage from 4wd lo and go right into 2wd hi without a problem but getting into 4wd hi is where the main problem lies After about 3 hours tonight online searching I came across this website and thought maybe someone out there could possibly educate me a little about this issue and maybe the cause behind it before I bring it to my local mechanic.

The research I did online tonight lead me to believe it could be one of the following problems but I could be wrong:

Front Axle Actuator -

A faulty front axle actuator can cause the 4WD front axle to not engage properly.

If it locks in 4low, then the actuator will be fine. They suck, but if it works then it works.

Transfer Case Switch -

A faulty transfer case switch can cause the 4WD front axle to not engage properly.

This sounds like your best bet. If the switch in the transfer case, which sends the signal to the actuator to enguage is malfuntioning, then it is a good bet that when you hit 4hi, the TC will shift and spin that front drive line, but not send a signal to the actuator to enguage. Then when put in 4low, the TC sensor reads that its in 4 wheel drive and send a signal to the actuator to enguage. One good way to test it is to put your truck on jack stands on all corners, place it in 4low and let it idle in gear. From what you said, your light should be on and all four wheels spinning. Now shift it into 4hi and see what happens. If the front wheels do not spin, then peak underneith your truck and see if your front drive line is spinning. If your drive line is spinning and the front wheels are not, then its the TC switch/sensor. If neither 4low nor 4hi spin the front wheels then you know your actuator in your front diff is smoked.

Fuse -

A blown fuse can cause the 4WD front axle to not engage properly.

If it was a fuse, then your 4wd would not work what so ever. And it dont have to be an auto shift case (push button or knob) to not work when fuse is blown. If the TC fuse is blown, then it wont send a signal at all to the actuator in the front end to engauge.

***I didn't know where the fuse might be for this as I checked in both the box inside the engine bay and inside the cab but found nothing...I didnt think there would be much giving this is not an automatic transfer case***

Any information would be sincerely appreciated as I don't have much money right now and I know anything with the drive train on these trucks can be pricey. Thank you in advance.

Archived