Fender Bender :( How Much Will My Insurance Rates Go Up?

TexasAl

I had a fender bender pulling out of the parking space at the grocery store. I didn't feel a thing, and neither did the person I hit, but I hit a 2009 Dakota right between the rear bumper and the rear wheel. We could not see any damage other than pushing in the sheet metal (I hope this is the only damage). My truck didn't even have a scratch on it. I must have tapped it with the plastic cover on my rear bumper, because there is no damage on my truck. Any idea how much this would cost? I've never had an accident, and I had pretty good rates, so I'm hoping this doesn't ruin my good rates (I have Geico). I have a high deductible, so I'm hoping it isn't too much, so that I can simply pay for it out of pocket. What do you guys think? Any personal experience.

I would try and pay out of pocket, wait and see what the estimates are and ask the owner if they would be willing to take payments to avoid making a claim.

That over the long term would be the best and or charge on a credit card and just suck up the high rates vs the much higher insurance rates for several years.

Just make sure that if you settle out of pocket, that the other driver signs a document that states they have been satisfied and that you both agree the damage has been repaired and no further claim will be made, get that notarized and each get a copy and then have a good rest of your life.

Make sure to make the other driver happy w/o having to use the insurance, but if all fails just use the insruance that is what you bought it for.

Well, the jerk decided to file a claim, and not even bother to give me the quote for the repair. Insurance Co. called and stated that they would take care of everything. I'll let you guys know how much more I pay for my insurance. I usually pay the 6 month premium, so I'll have to wait until May to find out if I have to pay much more. :lol:

Well, the jerk decided to file a claim, and not even bother to give me the quote for the repair. Insurance Co. called and stated that they would take care of everything. I'll let you guys know how much more I pay for my insurance. I usually pay the 6 month premium, so I'll have to wait until May to find out if I have to pay much more. :crackup:

Who's your insurance company? We have Nationwide and have accident forgiveness.

I guess he figured he could get more from your insurance company.

I don't know if he was being a "jerk" or just looking out for his own self interest. I had a fender bender and was able to successfully argue in front of a judge that I was not at fault. My insurance chose to pay her claim anyway, regardless of my opinion that they not pay anything (I had already been to court). My payments went up $35 a quarter for three years and after the first year, I changed companies.

ps....if he pocketed money from his claim against your ins co, I was certainly label him as a jerk as well

I have Geico. I understand that the guy wanted to get his truck fixed. I told him that I have insurance, and that I would make sure his truck was fixed ASAP. I told him to get a quote from the body shop without the insurance, and ask how much it would be paying cash. I asked him not to mention the insurance to see if I could get a better price. I talked to him about never being in a wreck, and wanting to keep this off my insurance record. The guys said he understood and that he would get the quote. Next day, I get a call from Geico.

Kinda pissed me off. The guy didn't give me a chance to make it right. Maybe he will get some cash back, since a body shop owner is a good friend of his. Oh well. It sucks.

I have Geico. I understand that the guy wanted to get his truck fixed. I told him that I have insurance, and that I would make sure his truck was fixed ASAP. I told him to get a quote from the body shop without the insurance, and ask how much it would be paying cash. I asked him not to mention the insurance to see if I could get a better price. I talked to him about never being in a wreck, and wanting to keep this off my insurance record. The guys said he understood and that he would get the quote. Next day, I get a call from Geico.

Kinda pissed me off. The guy didn't give me a chance to make it right. Maybe he will get some cash back, since a body shop owner is a good friend of his. Oh well. It sucks.

That's kind of a prickish thing to do....

Maybe you should give your insurance company a call informing them that he's buddies with the body shop he's getting the work done at....bet they will tell him to bring it to a different body shop.

One good turn deserves another...right?

I agree that he was a jerk if he didn't give you a chance to pay for his repair at of pocket. I read a few posts talking about installments and possibly using a pdr and thought to myself that I wouldn't want to do that if I was him......just fix my truck and let me be done with it.....but, I wouldn't care if you paid for it or your ins co. Jerk. Have you heard what Geico is paying out for the claim?

I checked this morning, and the shop has not submitted the final amount, so we'll see what the total amount will be. I have always intended to get his truck fixed and done with. I just wanted the opportunity to try to pay for it out of pocket before getting the insurance co. involved. Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted.

ps....if he pocketed money from his claim against your ins co, I was certainly label him as a jerk as well

Why would that make him a jerk? It is his money to pay for his damaged truck. He can do what ever he wants to with his money.

We are each entitled to our opinions. I believe that an insurance company should pay for a truck to be fixed, to be fixed right and to pay no more. If the other party wants to pay for the damages out of his/ her pocket, that should be their right to do so. When you can get your truck fixed right at a cheaper body shop but choose to ellicit higher estimates at those body shops known for this practice only to pocket the difference, it drives the insurance premiums up for everyone.

On the other hand, if an insurance company sends out a claim's adjuster to determine the damage and you agree to the amount that they offer.... I think that you have every right to get the work done at a cheaper price, if possible, or to not fix your truck at all.

Just the opinion of a very conservative person who hates to pay the automobile and health insurance rates that he has to pay.

Archived