2009 Silverado Door Seal Rusting?

I know it's a design issue, but I put black silicone in each end of mine and put it back together. No water gets in, so there isn't any rust problem. Easy fix.

I just happen to have a tube of Black Silicone, so will look into this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question regarding the silicone...(since I never really had the use for it) is this a permanent seal that the silicone makes and does the silicone damage any painted panels (rocker panels, other factory painted panels)?

I have a question regarding the silicone...(since I never really had the use for it) is this a permanent seal that the silicone makes and does the silicone damage any painted panels (rocker panels, other factory painted panels)?

All I got it on was the very ends of the seal where it met. In the past, I've never had silicone hurt anything although it is hard to get off of anything you get it on accidentally once it cures..

Is it the metal strip that is inside the seal that is rusting or the truck metal itself?

It's the little metal crinkle strip that is inside the weatherstrip actually. Once there is a breach in the rubber somewhere, water gets in and it starts to rust. The truck body itself is unaffected.

Mine doesnt seem to be rusting yet, but I guess just take the kick panel off and the I'll be able to pull it up to silicone it? And they're just clipped in right I havent paid attention

Mine came up really easily. It just slips over the body seam. All I did was seal up the ends and slip it back over the body seam. So far no problems.

Unless I am totally over looking it on my extended cab, the rubber seal is all one piece. I don't see any breaks in it.

Yeah...Your over-looking it,Theres a break in it.

That weather strip is not a formed part. It's off of a giant roll and cut to length. I guess they didn't count on it rusting? Mine are fine now that they have been sealed.

Simple design solution: use a stainless steel metal strip. No need to worry about rust then and no need to use any sealant. But it would cost $ 1 more per door seal. I know, let's make it an option package: "Rust resistant door seal package: $ 125".

But honestly, GM should seal the ends with a silicone sealer at the factory if they use just plain carbon steel strip inside these seals.

Archived