2009 Silverado Door Seal Rusting?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That weather strip is not a formed part. It's off of a giant roll and cut to length. I guess they didn't count on it rusting? Mine are fine now that they have been sealed.

Simple design solution: use a stainless steel metal strip. No need to worry about rust then and no need to use any sealant. But it would cost $ 1 more per door seal. I know, let's make it an option package: "Rust resistant door seal package: $ 125".

But honestly, GM should seal the ends with a silicone sealer at the factory if they use just plain carbon steel strip inside these seals.

I agree 100%. After all of these years of making door seals, this should not be missed. A little sealer in the ends of the cut strip and we wouldn't be talking about this.

Every one I have seen has a seam at the bottom. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't a one piece version out there.

Yeah upon further review I did find a seam toward the back of mine. No rusting yet but I'll go ahead and seal it.

WHO DAT

• 8 months later...

Hmmm I've not noticed anything like this on my truck but now that I've seen this I'll take a closer look at mine.

Just another example of typical cost reduction found in vehicles of all makes. The only way to fix quality for good is to stop buying them. As long as people buy the vehicles they will continue to make them cheaper.

During my time as an auto engineer it seemed like engineering was going backwards to save money. Parts that were aluminum are now steel. Parts that were coated are now bare. Part used to be held on with three screws but now they use two and are thinking about one.

Naah that won't work either. They'll just go out of business because they are too stupid to admit or even think that there is a problem.

Just another example of typical cost reduction found in vehicles of all makes. The only way to fix quality for good is to stop buying them. As long as people buy the vehicles they will continue to make them cheaper.

During my time as an auto engineer it seemed like engineering was going backwards to save money. Parts that were aluminum are now steel. Parts that were coated are now bare. Part used to be held on with three screws but now they use two and are thinking about one.

Did 2006 GMT800 trucks have the same or similar seals? I do not see any rust on mine, but then, the truck spends most of its life in the garage.

I hate to bring up a REALLY old post (June 2003), but all this reminded me of a problem I had on my 01 Ext Cab. (Some of us have been members here for a long time.)

rust scare

So maybe that actually DO make them like they used to. At any rate it never bothered that truck and I never had a problem with it.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead. On my 09 Sierra I just noticed this problem with a tear in the weatherstripping on the two front doors and the metal strip inside is all rusted. The back doors seem to be fine.

What's the best route to get this fixed? I don't think I'm under warranty anymore. Do I replace the weatherstripping myself, or will the GM shop take care of this?

Archived