Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ttucker512

ttucker512

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

Have a 2009 Sierra SLE2 that came with manual switching/dimming rearview mirror. My 08 came standard with the auto-dimming with the compass/temp. My question is, do they make an upgrade option for the 09's with auto-dim and the onstar controls? I am not looking for the rearview monitor model, just regular auto dimming. Any ideas? I have yet to be able to locate something on the internet. Wondering if anyones 09 came with this or if they even make the option.

Thanks for any ideas

#2 drush01

drush01

Enthusiast

• 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

I added the auto dimming mirror with compass and temp to my 2009 Sierra Crew Cab Work Truck. I bought the mirror to fit a 2008 Tahoe. It works perfectly with your onstar and existing windshield mount. All you have to do is add pins in the connector for the temperature sensor probe (2 wires) and then a 3rd pin for the 12volts to power the compass and temperature. So, it's a total of 3 wires you have to run and add the pins to the connector that plugs into your existing mirror. It's really simple and only takes about an hour or so...

Have a 2009 Sierra SLE2 that came with manual switching/dimming rearview mirror. My 08 came standard with the auto-dimming with the compass/temp. My question is, do they make an upgrade option for the 09's with auto-dim and the onstar controls? I am not looking for the rearview monitor model, just regular auto dimming. Any ideas? I have yet to be able to locate something on the internet. Wondering if anyones 09 came with this or if they even make the option.

Thanks for any ideas

#3 sprtplt

sprtplt

Enthusiast

• 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

I have the auto-dimming on my 2009 Silverado and will be selling it. But, on mine the temp and compass is in the DIC so the mirror is just auto-dim and Onstar.

I bought the OEM reverse camera kit with the display in the rear-view.

#4 chev1guy

chev1guy

Enthusiast

• 397 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

What about if you only want a mirror with auto dimming. Is it plug and play?

Silver Birch Metallic Club Member #5

MODS: Color match door handles and mirror covers, Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shocks (more to come)

275/60-20 Firestone Destination AT

#5 chev1guy

chev1guy

Enthusiast

• 397 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

I have the auto-dimming on my 2009 Silverado and will be selling it. But, on mine the temp and compass is in the DIC so the mirror is just auto-dim and Onstar.

How much? PM me

Silver Birch Metallic Club Member #5

MODS: Color match door handles and mirror covers, Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shocks (more to come)

275/60-20 Firestone Destination AT

#6 cwaters425

cwaters425

Enthusiast

• 64 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

What exactly is a auto-dimming rv mirror? I have a 09 silverado LT and my rearview mirror jsut has the onstar functions.

can you link me to where you bought the rearview mirror backup cam kit?

Is your auto-dim 09 mirror for sale? how much? would it be plug & play with mine?

thanks,
Chris.
2009 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 LT 4.8l V8

Aftermarket:
✔Line-X |✔DIC |✔Color Matched Vent Visors |✔Color Matched Mirror Covers |✔Color Matched Bug Shield |
✔Color Matched Door Handles |✔6" GM Chrome Step Bars |✔GM Fog Light Kit |✔Viper 5701 Alarm/Remote Start |
✔DL3 Signal Mirrors |✔Mud Flaps |✔Rear Wheel Liners |✔Magnaflo Performance Exhaust |✔2" Leveling Kit |✔Z71 Wheels |

#7 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,021 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

This is a photo of the manual rear view mirror, std on my 2010 LT Silverado

Attached Files

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#8 sprtplt

sprtplt

Enthusiast

• 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

What exactly is a auto-dimming rv mirror? I have a 09 silverado LT and my rearview mirror jsut has the onstar functions.

can you link me to where you bought the rearview mirror backup cam kit?

Is your auto-dim 09 mirror for sale? how much? would it be plug & play with mine?

thanks,
Chris.

This is where I got mine:

http://www.autostrat...ion-system.html

It appears to be the OEM supplied unit. It comes in a kit with all harnesses, trim, bits and pieces, even zip ties. Also very complete installation instructions. I am having a pro install it though. If all goes well, i will be selling the auto-dim, Onstar rear-view mirror unit.

The auto-dim mirror has a sensor in the top, center that dims (darkens) the glass. It also has a manual on/off button. So the mirror with the backup cam kit is the same but has the lcd display for cam image.

Edited by sprtplt, 28 January 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#9 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,208 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

So now GM has deleted even the auto dimming rear view mirror from LT1 and LT2 trucks? My 2006 LT1 came standard with this mirror, as well as the rear defogger. How nice, every year you get less for more money. :crackup:

#10 splat10

splat10

Enthusiast

• 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

Does anyone have the part number for teh auto-dimming mirror without the temp or compass (they're in my DIC). I assume that is plug and play with the manual one (same as Ryan's pictured above).
2010 Z71 5.3L 6 speed
Taupe Grey Metallic with ebony cloth
Installed my own DIC
Posted Image

#11 XPaClxix

XPaClxix

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

I just bought part number 15816792 and it worked fine in my 2010 that used to have a manual mirror. Plug and play. Mirror has onstar buttons and no compass or temp.

#12 trav_automotive

trav_automotive

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

I have a Brand New OnStar/Auto Dim Mirror that I removed from a 2009 GMC Sierra with 100 miles on it.....will sell for $100 plus $10 shipping, I took it out of my dad's 09 Sierra when I put in the Factory Camera Kit. I can post pictures if needed, however it is boxed and ready to go...

Thanks
Travis

PS....it DOES NOT have the Compass Temp in the Screen, it is Plug and Play with a Mirror Pictured by Ryan....I have done this on 2 or 3 models similar to Ryan's Truck...

Edited by Trav_13, 17 September 2010 - 09:01 AM.

Posted Image

13' Sierra Denali HD Duramax

Steel Grey with Ebony Heated and Cooled Leather

#13 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,021 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

I have a Brand New OnStar/Auto Dim Mirror that I removed from a 2009 GMC Sierra with 100 miles on it.....will sell for $100 plus $10 shipping, I took it out of my dad's 09 Sierra when I put in the Factory Camera Kit. I can post pictures if needed, however it is boxed and ready to go...

Thanks
Travis

PS....it DOES NOT have the Compass Temp in the Screen, it is Plug and Play with a Mirror Pictured by Ryan....I have done this on 2 or 3 models similar to Ryan's Truck...

If no one claims this over the weekend let me know I am interested

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users