• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MMM

MMM

Enthusiast

• 79 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hi guys,

I changed the Evap Vent Valve Solenoid and the gas cap on my 2006 chevy 1500 truck and the engine light is still on. I've read the other threads on this topic and I was wondering if somthing needs to be reset in order to clear this light after I changed the valve? Disconnect the battery maybe? Thanks in advance! MMM

#2 dewfpo

dewfpo

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous

• 1,776 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Give it a week, it will most likely go off on it's own. DEWFPO
2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#3 fidler2475

fidler2475

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

I've got a 2007 Yukon w 27k on it. The check engine light just came on and I took it to Advance Auto for a quick diagnosis. They told me the code was P0449, Evap Control Sys Vent Valve Solenoid. I assume it's the same issue that you're having but don't know where the solenoid is or how in depth it is to fix. I also noticed that the remote start doesn't work either. Is that a secondary issue related to the first?

I pulled a carfax for the truck and found that the gas cap was already replaces at 18k. I pulled the positive terminal and reset the computer and everything worked but it popped back up later the same day and now have the same issues. Any advice or schematics would be great.

Scott

#4 Bish

Bish

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,670 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

I've got a 2007 Yukon w 27k on it. The check engine light just came on and I took it to Advance Auto for a quick diagnosis. They told me the code was P0449, Evap Control Sys Vent Valve Solenoid. I assume it's the same issue that you're having but don't know where the solenoid is or how in depth it is to fix. I also noticed that the remote start doesn't work either. Is that a secondary issue related to the first?

I pulled a carfax for the truck and found that the gas cap was already replaces at 18k. I pulled the positive terminal and reset the computer and everything worked but it popped back up later the same day and now have the same issues. Any advice or schematics would be great.

Scott

Remote start won't work with a service engine lamp.

I just had this done under warranty. The guy said they had a cardboard guard that got soaked with roadsalt. THey replaced the whole assembly. It didn't look too bad. It is in back around the filler tube. Have to drop the tire and unscrew the filler from the quarter panel to get access.
2008 Yukon Denali AWD Red Jewel
6.2L, 6L80E EFILive and a BlackBearPerformance tune. GMPP CAI, Hotchkis Front/Rear Sway Bars
2008 Buick Enclave - All GM for us now!

#5 swhitney2003

swhitney2003

Enthusiast

• 461 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

I had a P0449 on my 2008 about a week ago. Dealer replaced the EVAP canister under warranty. About 200 miles on 15 miles of gasoline, too, which is poor for me.
2008 Silverado 1500 LT1 - Regular Cab 8' Bed - 5.3L, 3.73, 4x4, Z71 - Line-X Spray-In Bed Liner, 2" Rough Country Leveling Kit, DIC Install, Corsa dB Black Muffler, Kobalt Truck Chest, Silverstar Ultra Hi/Low, Audiobahn A8000V Amplifier - 800 Watts RMS @ 2Ω, Two 12" Audiobahn Subwoofers, Antenna removed, Air dam removed

#6 MMM

MMM

Enthusiast

• 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I ended up getting someone to plug up to my computer and clear the light. It went off, and stayed off. Looks like changing the evaporator vent solenoid vent vavle, using the old style like the one that was on my truck solved the problem.

However, it really looks like some of the parts departments have coached their employees to NOT sell you the old style valve and force you to buy the new kit for $150-$200. I had to go to 3 dealers to find someone to sell me the right one, and when he did agree to sell it to me, he told me over and over the part would not work on my truck, and looked like he was mad at me. :thumbs: . But anyhow, for about $30 I got it fixed. Thanks for the other threads on this topic and helping make people aware of this problem. MMM

#7 MMM

MMM

Enthusiast

• 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

Scott

Climb under your truck and look around the gas tank. Reading others post, it may be located in front or behind the tank depending on your model. Mine was in the front of the tank. It looks like this: http://www.gm-trucks...?...t&id=2277(i borrowed this picture) It's not a hard job, but I did have to replace the hose with a 5/8" heater hose, and clamps. Also had to have the computer reset, but it worked!

Edited by MMM, 31 January 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#8 rmck490

rmck490

Enthusiast

• 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

I ended up getting someone to plug up to my computer and clear the light. It went off, and stayed off. Looks like changing the evaporator vent solenoid vent vavle, using the old style like the one that was on my truck solved the problem.

However, it really looks like some of the parts departments have coached their employees to NOT sell you the old style valve and force you to buy the new kit for $150-$200. I had to go to 3 dealers to find someone to sell me the right one, and when he did agree to sell it to me, he told me over and over the part would not work on my truck, and looked like he was mad at me. :thumbs: . But anyhow, for about $30 I got it fixed. Thanks for the other threads on this topic and helping make people aware of this problem. MMM

If you reset the codes in the PCM, the non-continous EVAP monitor probabaly hasn't run yet. So, don't declare victory just yet. This is the last monitor to run and my take a while depending on your driving habits. It will test the vent solenoid again when it gets the chance.

#9 Beer Belly

Beer Belly

Enthusiast

• 581 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

I had the P0449 code on my '06 5.3L.....dealer said the direct replacement was not available, I contacted RockAuto, ordered AC Delco P/N 214-2149 and installed the new Solenoid with the Heater Hose as everyone does, 3 trips / drive cycles later....light off :cool:

'06 Silverado Z71 E/C 5.3, 3:42, 4x4

'13 Silverado Z/71 E/C~ 5.3~ 3:42~ 4x4

*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

#10 fidler2475

fidler2475

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

Well I took it to the dealer and told them the code that Advance had given me. They still hooked it up....$92. Then told me it needed the evap solenoid kit. 70% of the bill was covered under dealer warranty but I still got stuck with a $120 bill. Total bill was $420....total bs.

I wish I had a picture of it before. Could have saved 90 bucks or so.

Just got the truck and have already replaced this and the battery. Not a good start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users