Evap Vent Valve Solenoid

MMM

Hi guys,

I changed the Evap Vent Valve Solenoid and the gas cap on my 2006 chevy 1500 truck and the engine light is still on. I've read the other threads on this topic and I was wondering if somthing needs to be reset in order to clear this light after I changed the valve? Disconnect the battery maybe? Thanks in advance! MMM

I've got a 2007 Yukon w 27k on it. The check engine light just came on and I took it to Advance Auto for a quick diagnosis. They told me the code was P0449, Evap Control Sys Vent Valve Solenoid. I assume it's the same issue that you're having but don't know where the solenoid is or how in depth it is to fix. I also noticed that the remote start doesn't work either. Is that a secondary issue related to the first?

I pulled a carfax for the truck and found that the gas cap was already replaces at 18k. I pulled the positive terminal and reset the computer and everything worked but it popped back up later the same day and now have the same issues. Any advice or schematics would be great.

Scott

I've got a 2007 Yukon w 27k on it. The check engine light just came on and I took it to Advance Auto for a quick diagnosis. They told me the code was P0449, Evap Control Sys Vent Valve Solenoid. I assume it's the same issue that you're having but don't know where the solenoid is or how in depth it is to fix. I also noticed that the remote start doesn't work either. Is that a secondary issue related to the first?

I pulled a carfax for the truck and found that the gas cap was already replaces at 18k. I pulled the positive terminal and reset the computer and everything worked but it popped back up later the same day and now have the same issues. Any advice or schematics would be great.

Scott

Remote start won't work with a service engine lamp.

I just had this done under warranty. The guy said they had a cardboard guard that got soaked with roadsalt. THey replaced the whole assembly. It didn't look too bad. It is in back around the filler tube. Have to drop the tire and unscrew the filler from the quarter panel to get access.

I ended up getting someone to plug up to my computer and clear the light. It went off, and stayed off. Looks like changing the evaporator vent solenoid vent vavle, using the old style like the one that was on my truck solved the problem.

However, it really looks like some of the parts departments have coached their employees to NOT sell you the old style valve and force you to buy the new kit for $150-$200. I had to go to 3 dealers to find someone to sell me the right one, and when he did agree to sell it to me, he told me over and over the part would not work on my truck, and looked like he was mad at me. :thumbs: . But anyhow, for about $30 I got it fixed. Thanks for the other threads on this topic and helping make people aware of this problem. MMM

Scott

Climb under your truck and look around the gas tank. Reading others post, it may be located in front or behind the tank depending on your model. Mine was in the front of the tank. It looks like this: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...t&id=2277(i borrowed this picture) It's not a hard job, but I did have to replace the hose with a 5/8" heater hose, and clamps. Also had to have the computer reset, but it worked!

I ended up getting someone to plug up to my computer and clear the light. It went off, and stayed off. Looks like changing the evaporator vent solenoid vent vavle, using the old style like the one that was on my truck solved the problem.

However, it really looks like some of the parts departments have coached their employees to NOT sell you the old style valve and force you to buy the new kit for $150-$200. I had to go to 3 dealers to find someone to sell me the right one, and when he did agree to sell it to me, he told me over and over the part would not work on my truck, and looked like he was mad at me. :thumbs: . But anyhow, for about $30 I got it fixed. Thanks for the other threads on this topic and helping make people aware of this problem. MMM

If you reset the codes in the PCM, the non-continous EVAP monitor probabaly hasn't run yet. So, don't declare victory just yet. This is the last monitor to run and my take a while depending on your driving habits. It will test the vent solenoid again when it gets the chance.

I had the P0449 code on my '06 5.3L.....dealer said the direct replacement was not available, I contacted RockAuto, ordered AC Delco P/N 214-2149 and installed the new Solenoid with the Heater Hose as everyone does, 3 trips / drive cycles later....light off :cool:

Well I took it to the dealer and told them the code that Advance had given me. They still hooked it up....$92. Then told me it needed the evap solenoid kit. 70% of the bill was covered under dealer warranty but I still got stuck with a $120 bill. Total bill was $420....total bs.

I wish I had a picture of it before. Could have saved 90 bucks or so.

Just got the truck and have already replaced this and the battery. Not a good start.

Archived