Emissions Questions

Coalbunny

Question

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE, 5.0 liter, 4x4 with automatic tranny.

What is the difference between the emissions equipment on it now (provided it still has the emissions stuff) and what is required in California?

How difficult/expensive is it to add additional emissions gear to make it California compliant?

0 answers to this question

I looked at the documents from the previous owner, and he financed it for $42-43,000, something happened and it was repo'd a couple years later, and IIRC he bought it in Orange County CA.

I checked and if I move to the northern rural counties like Del Norte or Siskiyou, there does not seem to be any emissions rules there except for change of ownership.

Funny thing is, it was bought brand spanking new IN California, but I was told that even then it's not CA smog compliant. Which confuses me. When I bought it I looked at the previous documents, and it was a repo.

Is there somewhere I can put in the VIN and find out for sure if it is or isn't? And if it isn't, how hard is it to "upgrade" to CA standards?

I am considering moving to CA, and I don't want to get rid of my truck.

i find it hard to believe that it was sold new in CA and did not have a CA compliant sticker on it..are you the original owner?.. ether was, i would not worry about it, they will smog it under Federal standards, as what appears on the sticker and with CO. plates. when i moved from NY to Ca when i had my 03 tested i still had my NY plates on it. all they asked was it for NY or CA. told them for CA and it passed with no issues.

good luck

Ok, found it under the hood on the brace that runs in front of the radiator.

It says.....

"Catalyst SFI/EGR/HO2S/TWC"

And says it's compliant with EPA regulations 2001.

Also found there numbers- "5351GXBB" (above a bar code)

And in the upper left hand corner of the sticker-

1GMXT05.3181

1GMXE0111911

What do those mean? I presume my truck has to be either CA compliant when I move there or I have to replace it....?

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE, 5.0 liter, 4x4 with automatic tranny.

What is the difference between the emissions equipment on it now (provided it still has the emissions stuff) and what is required in California?

How difficult/expensive is it to add additional emissions gear to make it California compliant?

if the truck was first registered out of CA, then it will fall under Federal emission standards.as long as you have the cats, NO LT HEADERS and egr you will pass the visual part. then all they do is hook your computer up and check for codes, and HC/ CO and done.. about 20 min

good luck

Well, I contacted a dealership in Sac, and asked them. Good news! The laws have changed a lot since I was there last.

Back then, winter of '93/'94, it would cost me around $4,500 to replace all the smog gear and bring it to Cali specs.

Now, so long as it's running according to the EPA and CO specs, it's good enough. So, no worries there, just need to get it smog checked before I go so I can make sure it's compliant in CO.

Funny thing is, it was bought brand spanking new IN California, but I was told that even then it's not CA smog compliant. Which confuses me. When I bought it I looked at the previous documents, and it was a repo.

Is there somewhere I can put in the VIN and find out for sure if it is or isn't? And if it isn't, how hard is it to "upgrade" to CA standards?

I am considering moving to CA, and I don't want to get rid of my truck.

You can start with the RPO codes in the glove box. There should be one for California emmissions if it's installed.

Possibly one or more of these:

NB2 : EMISSION SYSTEM , CALIFORNIA , TIER O

NB6 : EMISSION SYSTEM, CALIFORNIA, TIER 1

NB8 : EMISSION OVERRIDE, CALIFORNIA SYSTEM

NC1 : EMISSION SYSTEM, CALIFORNIA, LEV

NC6 : EMISSION SYSTEM, CALIFORNIA, ULEV

NC8 : EMISSION SYSTEM, CALIFORNIA, ULEV

VJ9 : LABEL, EMISSION, COMPLIANCE, CALIFORNIA

YF5 : CERTIFICATION, EMISSION, CALIFORNIA

NN5 : EMISSION OVERRIDE, CALIFORNIA SYSTEM, FEDERAL

I'm not total sure what all these mean since I'm in Washington but maybe this can help some. Also, there may be a label under the hood that specifies which emmission system is installed as well.

Archived