Security Light Stays On. Can I Disable It?

My security light on my 98 chevy silverado just started staying on. Is there a way to disable it? Is it going to hurt my truck. :dunno:

Our 98 did this on and off for awhile, we pulled the bulb out and a month or so later she wouldn't start and we ended up putting a new pcm(engine computor) in it. Dealer explination "It failed to recognize your key code and went into security lockdown mode, we could not get it to recognize your key of any others we tried"

I'm not saying this the problem with yours, only what mine did. If you recently got differen't keys made that could be it. If you changed stereo's that could do it or the key switch itself could be bad.

Good Luck

My security light on my 98 chevy silverado just started staying on. Is there a way to disable it? Is it going to hurt my truck. :dunno:

Our 98 did this on and off for awhile, we pulled the bulb out and a month or so later she wouldn't start and we ended up putting a new pcm(engine computor) in it. Dealer explination "It failed to recognize your key code and went into security lockdown mode, we could not get it to recognize your key of any others we tried"

I'm not saying this the problem with yours, only what mine did. If you recently got differen't keys made that could be it. If you changed stereo's that could do it or the key switch itself could be bad.

Good Luck

Thanks, they said there was a way to bypass this by wiring around it to make it think that its all is ok. Do you know how or anyone that knows how to do this?

Do you have an extra set of keys and tried them to see if that cures your problem? I would try to figure out what is wrong before hacking into the wiring system...

Just my $.02, welcome aboard! --Mike

yeah I have an extra key. I was told to ask yall if it could be a digital display I have. It is "Bully Dog's Watch Dog", it tells me everything wrong and whats going on with my engine on the fly. But the light stays on even when I don't have that part hooked up. Just wondering?

Archived