• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flyboyron

flyboyron

Enthusiast

• 287 posts
  • Drives:2009 Silverado LT Ext. Cab

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

I now have 1,700 miles on my truck. Yesterday driving to work, on the freeway I noticed my voltmeter showing to the left of the 14. The needle was just left of the 1 of the 14.
I thought that was odd since it usually has been at 14 or a little higher.
So when I went to leave work I turned the key on to see where the voltmeter gauge would read. It showed halfway between the first line which is 9 and the 14. So I turned on the engine and the gauge went slowly to the right of the 14. I figured it was ok.
So I jump on the freeway about 1/2 mile down the road and notice the gauge is now to the left of the 1 of the 14 and that just doesn't seem right to me.
I have to make a stop and figure when I get home I'll put my DVOM on it and see what it is really showing.
When I start the truck and drive it 30 miles home it stays to the right of the 14 all the way home. Seems normal now so I didn't check it.

I guess it was just a abnormality in the system?

I will keep my eye on it.

Anyone else have something like that happen?

#2 cerbomark

cerbomark

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,687 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

100% normal. It s part of a fuel saving thing. I believe you can read about it in the manual.
Posted Image
2009 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

#3 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,932 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

Subject: Information On Voltmeter Gauge Fluctuation Due To Regulated Voltage Control System And Concerns About Camper/Trailer Battery Charging

Models: 2005-2009 Cadillac Escalade Models

2005-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2009 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon Models

Voltmeter Fluctuation Condition:
Some customers may comment that the voltmeter is fluctuating between 12 and 14 volts on their full size pickup or utility vehicle. Starting with the 2005 model year, light duty full size pickups and utilities are equipped with a new Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system. This system reduces the targeted output of the generator to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode" to improve fuel economy. The generator may exit "Fuel Economy Mode" if additional voltage is required. This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts as opposed to non-regulated systems that usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts. This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation and NO repairs should be attempted.

Camper/Trailer Battery Charging Concerns:
Some customers may comment that when towing or hauling a camper/trailer, the auxiliary battery for the camper/trailer will not stay charged. In most cases, this concern is blamed on the new RVC system. While the RVC system does reduce the generator's targeted output voltage to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode", this feature is bypassed if the tow/haul feature is enabled. With the tow/haul feature enabled, the RVC system will stay in "Charge Mode" and the targeted generator output voltage will be 13.9-15.5 volts, depending on the battery state of charge and the estimated battery temperature. To keep the generator in the "Charge Mode", use either of the following two methods.

The first method is to use the tow/haul mode when towing or hauling a camper or trailer.

The second method is to turn on the headlights, which will increase the generator's targeted output voltage to 13.9-14.5 volts.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#4 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

Subject: Information On Voltmeter Gauge Fluctuation Due To Regulated Voltage Control System And Concerns About Camper/Trailer Battery Charging

Models: 2005-2009 Cadillac Escalade Models

2005-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2009 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon Models

Voltmeter Fluctuation Condition:
Some customers may comment that the voltmeter is fluctuating between 12 and 14 volts on their full size pickup or utility vehicle. Starting with the 2005 model year, light duty full size pickups and utilities are equipped with a new Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system. This system reduces the targeted output of the generator to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode" to improve fuel economy. The generator may exit "Fuel Economy Mode" if additional voltage is required. This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts as opposed to non-regulated systems that usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts. This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation and NO repairs should be attempted.

Camper/Trailer Battery Charging Concerns:
Some customers may comment that when towing or hauling a camper/trailer, the auxiliary battery for the camper/trailer will not stay charged. In most cases, this concern is blamed on the new RVC system. While the RVC system does reduce the generator's targeted output voltage to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode", this feature is bypassed if the tow/haul feature is enabled. With the tow/haul feature enabled, the RVC system will stay in "Charge Mode" and the targeted generator output voltage will be 13.9-15.5 volts, depending on the battery state of charge and the estimated battery temperature. To keep the generator in the "Charge Mode", use either of the following two methods.

The first method is to use the tow/haul mode when towing or hauling a camper or trailer.

The second method is to turn on the headlights, which will increase the generator's targeted output voltage to 13.9-14.5 volts.

any idea if Justin turns this off? or is it hardware based only?

Edited by M. Cueva, 05 February 2010 - 04:51 PM.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#5 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,932 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

any idea if Justin turns this off? or is it hardware based only?

I never heard him say or mention anything about turning it off,My '07 doesn't fluctuate.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#6 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

I now have 1,700 miles on my truck. Yesterday driving to work, on the freeway I noticed my voltmeter showing to the left of the 14. The needle was just left of the 1 of the 14.
I thought that was odd since it usually has been at 14 or a little higher.
So when I went to leave work I turned the key on to see where the voltmeter gauge would read. It showed halfway between the first line which is 9 and the 14. So I turned on the engine and the gauge went slowly to the right of the 14. I figured it was ok.
So I jump on the freeway about 1/2 mile down the road and notice the gauge is now to the left of the 1 of the 14 and that just doesn't seem right to me.
I have to make a stop and figure when I get home I'll put my DVOM on it and see what it is really showing.
When I start the truck and drive it 30 miles home it stays to the right of the 14 all the way home. Seems normal now so I didn't check it.

I guess it was just a abnormality in the system?

I will keep my eye on it.

Anyone else have something like that happen?

Perfectly normal so long as you have an alternator with a clutch pulley (i.e. you can not see the nut holding the pulley on to the shaft).

Jbo

#7 09LowesSilverado

09LowesSilverado

Its Win, Its Awesome, Its Win AND Awesome!

• 1,400 posts
  • Name:Patrick
  • Drives:2009 Cherolet Silverado LT1 4.8 V8

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

its completely normal, and here is an excerpt from the 2009 Owner's manual to prove it:

"When the engine is running, this gauge shows the
condition of the charging system. The gauge can
transition from a higher to lower or a lower to higher
reading. This is normal. If the vehicle is operating
outside the normal operating range, the charging system
light comes on."

2009 Chevrolet Silverado LT, Imperial Blue Metallic, Light Titanium/Ebony Cloth, 2WD, 4.8 V8
1 of 129 Vehicles of Win and Awesome given to Lowe's Employees
won on March 27th, 2009, Built July 20th, 2009, and Finally Delivered to a Happy dad on August 3rd, 2009 at Alexander Chevrolet Mods: Locking Tailgate Handle, SILVER Retrax Cover, 3" Westin Black Step Bars, DIC Upgrade, Rear Wheelhouse Liners

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users