6.2 L And Oil Consumption

I'm going to place my truck order on Monday and am thinking about getting the max tow package to get the 6.2. Does the 6.2 have the same oil consumption issue some 5.3's are having? How much worse will the milage be? I can get the 6.2 without the tow package for some extra $$$ and avoid the 3.72 gears. Would that make a significant difference in milage?

I'm thinking a white slt with cashmere interior. Any thoughts on that combo?

Thanks

If your buying the 6.2 why are you concern about milage?

Comparing my 2010 6.2 3.42 6 speed CC to my 2000 5.3 3.73 4 speed ext cab I get better milage with the 6.2. My last tank I got 14 mpg basically all back and forth to work. I never seen above 13 in my 2000.

Never had any oil consumption issues with my 2000 (85K Miles) or with my current 08 Tahoe (5.3 has 12K miles) or 6.2 (only has 1800 miles).

My 2007 Slt has a problem with oil consumption. Like many others on here I think it has something to do with the AFM. Aside from that I love the 5.3 and would never need more power. My concern lies in the fact that I will be buying this truck as GM doesn't lease anymore and I will try to keep it for a longer period than 3 years.(maybe up to 10 years). I do not want to end up with a motor that has these types of problems and that's why I was leaning toward the 6.2. Then I read the lifters may be causing the oil issue. If I may run into the same issues with a 6.2, I would stick with the 5.3.

Not really too worried about milage. I just don't want to be shocked. The heaviest thing I'll tow is an 18' boat. Just looking for some advice from the knowledgeable folks on this site.

Thanks

I had a 2004 5.3L, had it for 95K change the oil every 5000 miles with conventional Valvoline 10w30 and never had to add any oil, most of the time it looked like I just changed it. I would buy the 6.2L though for the power, forget the mileage. I went to a hd with the 6.0L and love the power and I forget about the mileage, you will tooooooo.

The oil consumption of certain 5.3s around here is certainly not a universal issue. I'm on my 3rd 5.3, and there are 3 others currently in the family (2 with AFM) and none have ever had any problems burning oil.

The oil consumption of certain 5.3s around here is certainly not a universal issue. I'm on my 3rd 5.3, and there are 3 others currently in the family (2 with AFM) and none have ever had any problems burning oil.

I agree. My 09 5.3 has about 12k on it and at the last oil change it used less then .5qt in 5000mi. That is right in line with my 07 with the 4.8 w/o afm.

I would love to see the real percentage on how many have an afm oil issue. I would bet it is quite low.

Mike

AKA.....the same with the oil, the same with the AFM, the same with the ticking lifters, etc. The ones you always hear about are the few that have issues. You never hear about the 99.99% that have no issue at all.

Its the same probablilitiy that you would have with ANY new vehicle. More than likely you'll not get a lemon. But then again, there is always the chance. If it happens, that sucks, but its just luck of the draw. It occurs with all makes/models of vehicles.

If you are unluckly enought to have it happen, then its just a matter of how good your dealer/manufacturer takes care of you after that.

Oil consumption is (unfortunately) a hit/miss issue. There appears to have been a batch of 5.3's that may have had a too aggressive lifter, but GM is replacing those under warranty. New trucks won't have that issue. Mine has zero oil consumption, as do most. Other than that, we always run a slight risk of getting an oil burner when buying a new vehicle, depending on how well the pistons/rings/cylinders mate up... but that's independent of displacement. I feel very good about the 5.3, but I'm sure the 6.2 will hold up well too. I'm certain that an aluminum block 5.3 is going to get better overall econonomy than the 6.2, but if you need/want the power (towing, etc.) then it's probably a "justifiable" expense.

Sir,

The 6.2 has the same oil burning characteristics as the 5.3. It will almost certainly burn no oil. The 5.3 and its siblings are excellent engines.

Remember, this site will concentrate any issues, as it must do. Do not worry about any Chevy engines. They are among the best on the planet.

Ken

Had a 2005 5.3 Silverado with no oil burning issues. Loved the truck but it was lemon lawed with an incurable steering noise (24 trips to dealer in 6 months) so I bought an 07 Avalanche LTZ with the 5.3 AFM. After 7000 miles started with the check oil level light. Losing a quart every 1500-1800 miles. Dealer was very good about it, tried lots of things, last thing from GM was to replace all pistons and rings, and heads. No, they wouldn't replace the entire engine. Traded it in on a new 6.2 Silverado LTZ and couldn't be happier. 8k miles so far and hasn't missed a beat, plus the 4 MPG city of the 6.2 over the 5.3 in the Avy made it all worth not to mention the extra ponies. ;-)

Archived