2004 Tail Lights On A 2001 Silverado

Picked up a pair of tail lights off of craiglist for a 2004 yesterday at a good price, i was going to just resell and make a profit but they look a lot nice than my 2001 factory lights. Any easy way for me to get these on my truck? I noticed the lights mount differently inside the light and that the '04 actually has 4 lights where my '01 only has 3. Any ideas? If not then they are up for sale.

Picked up a pair of tail lights off of craiglist for a 2004 yesterday at a good price, i was going to just resell and make a profit but they look a lot nice than my 2001 factory lights. Any easy way for me to get these on my truck? I noticed the lights mount differently inside the light and that the '04 actually has 4 lights where my '01 only has 3. Any ideas? If not then they are up for sale.

that is a little tough because of the way your original tails integrate the running/stop bulb as the sidemarker whereas the 04 and up do not have that integration. I dont think that it could be easily done :rollin:

Edit: Post some pics of both housings. Maybe the visuals would be of some help.

What? :rollin: I always thought that they were fully interchangeable. I've been thinking about putting Silverado tail lights on my '04 Sierra.

yours is an 04 using an 04 or higher light. his is a 2001 going to a 2004...

What? :rollin: I always thought that they were fully interchangeable. I've been thinking about putting Silverado tail lights on my '04 Sierra.

So... what does that mean? That my tail lights are interchangeable with a Silverado?

ff642990.gif

that is 04 and up. his OEM does not have the little sidemarker/turn signal since that sidemarker is integrated in the taillight/brakelight bulb. Look at an 01 with the lights on and you will see what I am referring to.

So... what does that mean? That my tail lights are interchangeable with a Silverado?

yep. look at the posted diagram...

I put 03's on my '00 silverado. You just have to grind the bulb openings to recieve the older fasteners. I just taped the extra hole closed (side marker light) and never once had a fogging or dirt problem. You will realize which light goes where when you take your old tails off. Very easy swap.

I was also thinking of doing this swap a couple years ago but i kinda like the look of my tails. In order to swap you can grind the openings down like dirtfan21 had said or go to the junk yard and pull a harness from and 04-06 and use that harness and tap into the original wires..Its an easy swap... good luck

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...active%26um%3D1

not sure if you can see it or not but look a the main red light on top...inner lens is different

I'm kind of confused. Don't the tail lights on the older silverado's look just like that? I don't notice any difference at all. :)

Here is the difference of them the first photo shows the new ones and the second shows the old.. The old ones have 3 bulbs and the new ones have 4 because of the side marker.

post-63450-1265833206_thumb.jpg

post-63450-1265833218_thumb.jpg

not sure if you can see it or not but look a the main red light on top...inner lens is different

I'm kind of confused. Don't the tail lights on the older silverado's look just like that? I don't notice any difference at all. :)

Here is the difference of them the first photo shows the new ones and the second shows the old.. The old ones have 3 bulbs and the new ones have 4 because of the side marker.

If you can, get a closeup of the side of the older one so he can see the "opening" directly from the side...that inner housing is the main issue. I didnt know that you could grind the openings to retrofit but it does make sense

I see where your confusion lies:

the GMT800 series Sierras used the same taillight housing from '00 to '07. the Silverados used one taillight housing from '00 to '03 and then had a redesigned grille and tails from '03 to '07. forgot about that little detail. Sooooo, yes they are interchangeable if they are the Sierras but Sierra to Silverado or old Silverado ('00-'03) to newer Silverado ('04-'07) are not directly interchangeable unless you do a little modding.

Archived