Photo
- - - - -

'08 2500hd Drivetrain Noise - Dry Bearing? Help!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Raven

Raven

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:02 AM

Ok, I'm about to go nuts here... I've got a great '08 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 with the 6.0 and the automatic. The truck is 100% bone stock. It has 28k on it and has been perfect up till now. I LOVE this truck.

But - it's developed a weird noise in the last 1000 miles that my dealer can't seem to hear/find. And no, I'm not imagining it!

Just before the truck comes to a complete stop and/or as you begin to accelerate a 'dry bearing' sound comes from under the front end of the truck - at least that is where it sounds like it is coming from when I am in the driver's seat. The truck drives out perfectly, no pulling to either side, no brake noise and the noise does not increase or diminish if braking or if you just let it coast down. It doesn't matter what type of pavement (or off-road) that you are on - it does it regardless. The tires are worn evenly and are rotated about every 6000 miles.

The best description I can make is just that - it almost sounds like a wheel bearing or some other bearing that is dry. But - as you speed up, the sound disappears, mostly due to other road or engine noise.

I've asked them to check this truck out three times now and they say they can not find a darn thing but the sound is still there. It's a rotating sound but not a squeak. It just sounds like something is dry perhaps inside a housing (differential? Transfer case?) but again, they say they can not find a thing. Again, there is nothing in the performance of this truck to indicate something is amiss other than this noise that developed just about a thousand miles ago.

So help me out here - anyone else having this issue? It's annoying to begin with but I am worried that at the worst possible time something is going to fail and I'll be in the middle of nowhere.
2008 Chevy 2500HD LT1 Crew Cab Shortbed 4x4, 6.0 Liter, 6 Speed Automatic, Black/Dark Cloth, Locking Diff, Trailer Tow, etc.

1987 Buick Grand National Hardtop, 64k - a "few" upgrades, runs solid mid-11's.

#2 Raven

Raven

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Wow. NOBODY has had this same issue? 64 views but NO replies???

Surely my problem isn't a one-off is it?

ANYone?
2008 Chevy 2500HD LT1 Crew Cab Shortbed 4x4, 6.0 Liter, 6 Speed Automatic, Black/Dark Cloth, Locking Diff, Trailer Tow, etc.

#3 jro909

jro909

Your Own Personal Jesus

• 4,079 posts
  • Drives:04 1500 Silverado

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

is it like a clicking? every 6.0 i've ever seen does this odd clicking that sounds like valves..idk if it helps but year its all i got
RCLB 5.3, 3.42 gears, Z85/82 Bilstein Hds, General AT2 Grabbers

Man fears what he does not understand- Anton LaVey

Old People Drive Slow To Make The Most Of The Time They Have Left

Member of the Red Truck Club

Proud Vortec Owner

#4 Markd

Markd

• Senior Moderator
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

see if they can put it on a lift and listen from under the truck. (if they haven't already)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Footnote

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC Z71 SLT D-Max Stealth Grey Metallic

EX-03 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB Z71 SLT Pewter

R.I.P. 2002 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB Z71 SLT White

Ex-1999 GMC Sierra 1500 3dr Z71 SL Gray

Posted Image

#5 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Enthusiast

• 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

After reading your post I believe my truck might be making the same noise. Mine has done it from day one and 20 miles on the clock. I have 8400 miles today and it still does it. If I had to describe the sound it similar to the sound Hybrid cars like the Prius make in parking lots when they brake. A sort of metallic, high pitched slightly grity sound. I only hear it on my truck from the driver seat too and it sounds like it's coming from the front end and only when slowing and braking on my truck. Any help appreciated.
2008 2500 HD Standard Cab, 2WD, 6.0L, G80, LT1 package, Bone Stock for now.

#6 Raven

Raven

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:56 AM

After reading your post I believe my truck might be making the same noise. Mine has done it from day one and 20 miles on the clock. I have 8400 miles today and it still does it. If I had to describe the sound it similar to the sound Hybrid cars like the Prius make in parking lots when they brake. A sort of metallic, high pitched slightly grity sound. I only hear it on my truck from the driver seat too and it sounds like it's coming from the front end and only when slowing and braking on my truck. Any help appreciated.

Other than the sound not being high pitched you describe it perfectly. Very gritty and almost a grinding sound.

Steve

#7 DataSponge

DataSponge

Enthusiast

• 141 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

To help narrow it down try running it:

With traction and stablity control off - if noise goes away or not. The systems on these trucks i have noticed is touchy, mine fire off the traction control / anti lock brakes every morning when I'm driving down the gravel driveway and it sounds ginding like.

In 4WD does it do the same sound or only in 2WD?

Turn your climate control off - does it still do it (clutch fan and / or compressor clutch could be kicking in or off)?

And heres one for the weird books, not in a GM product, but I had a friend that was getting a strange noise when acclerating and it was the speed sensing radio - he thought it was off but really it was tuned to a blank station and turned low. Weird, but made some interesting white noises that he thought was mechanical when giving it the gas.

Other ideas that the dealer may have checked but doesnt hurt to look again:
Rock stuck in the brake rotor / caliper / dust shield
Front ball joints and tie rod ends have been lubed (signs of grease on the zerks)
Shock boot / dust shield rubbing on shock - my truck only has 10K on it and the shock boots have rubbed section of the paint off the tubes, when you compress the suspension stopping or taking off it could be making a rubbing noise.

Hope it helps..
- Brad -
2011 Silverado 4X4 Ext Cab Z71

#8 Crookster

Crookster

Enthusiast

• 6 posts
  • Name:Kevin Crook
  • Drives:08 chevy silverado 2500 hd

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

I have the same issue with mine!! Have you figured it out yet ?

#9 ujtruck

ujtruck

Enthusiast

• 529 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Drives:2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax 6.6 diesel turbo

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

do you see any oil arout fron pumpking, did you check oil in there?

is it look like Gray milk shakey ?

gr_chug.gif

#10 GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service

Verified GM Employee

• 1,276 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

I have the same issue with mine!! Have you figured it out yet ?

Hi Crookster,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern as well with a noise in your 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. I understand that you are seeking advice from your fellow forum members, however, if you need any assistance connecting with your dealership we are always here to help. Thank you!

Andraya R.

GM Customer Care

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!

#11 Chevyboy86

Chevyboy86

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,292 posts
  • Drives:WORD UP

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Get the front end up off the ground give the tires a spin with a buddy try and recreate the noise while watching. See if you can get closer...your description is pretty vague. I would try I and pin point it a little closer and fill us in again

2007.5 Sierra SLT 2500hd Duramax, Loaded, Leather, Sunroof, 6" Lift, DVD, Billet S475/stock twin kit (60psi), Suncoast Gmax-6 tranny built by Husker Diesel, 1058 suncoast triple disc t/c, AFE cold pipe, M/A transfer case brace, EFI LIVE DSP5 by idaho rob, 35x12.5r20 Toyo's on BMF Novakanes, Amp Research Steps, Premier H/U, 3 JL audio amps, 2 JL woofers,  Focal components, Cobalt Gauges, HID's all around, bullet proof bumper, air dog 150 and all kinds of other little fuel mods. Soon - 40 over sticks, S3xx/S475 Fixed Vane twins, Motor currently under the knife! Shooting for 700+  In Loving Memory of TC 84-12
collage

#12 MKayler

MKayler

Enthusiast

• 85 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

I had this before but mine were the rotors. They were not over worn or anything. The ones that come from GM are garbage. I replaced mine with aftermarket and new pads and sounds went away. I am with the guys above lift it up and give it a spin.  :)

Michael

Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ
Fabtech Lift Kit
35x12.50x20 Toyo M/T

#13 Crookster

Crookster

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks guys I will try it this weekend,kinda funny though that the dealer cant find anything with it.

#14 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,723 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

maybe the techs didnt spin the tires

Edited by govtech4, 24 May 2014 - 10:10 AM.

How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#15 Crookster

Crookster

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

True very true I will be checking it out tomorrow. I will update with what I find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users