'08 2500hd Drivetrain Noise - Dry Bearing? Help!

Raven

Ok, I'm about to go nuts here... I've got a great '08 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 with the 6.0 and the automatic. The truck is 100% bone stock. It has 28k on it and has been perfect up till now. I LOVE this truck.

But - it's developed a weird noise in the last 1000 miles that my dealer can't seem to hear/find. And no, I'm not imagining it!

Just before the truck comes to a complete stop and/or as you begin to accelerate a 'dry bearing' sound comes from under the front end of the truck - at least that is where it sounds like it is coming from when I am in the driver's seat. The truck drives out perfectly, no pulling to either side, no brake noise and the noise does not increase or diminish if braking or if you just let it coast down. It doesn't matter what type of pavement (or off-road) that you are on - it does it regardless. The tires are worn evenly and are rotated about every 6000 miles.

The best description I can make is just that - it almost sounds like a wheel bearing or some other bearing that is dry. But - as you speed up, the sound disappears, mostly due to other road or engine noise.

I've asked them to check this truck out three times now and they say they can not find a darn thing but the sound is still there. It's a rotating sound but not a squeak. It just sounds like something is dry perhaps inside a housing (differential? Transfer case?) but again, they say they can not find a thing. Again, there is nothing in the performance of this truck to indicate something is amiss other than this noise that developed just about a thousand miles ago.

So help me out here - anyone else having this issue? It's annoying to begin with but I am worried that at the worst possible time something is going to fail and I'll be in the middle of nowhere.

After reading your post I believe my truck might be making the same noise. Mine has done it from day one and 20 miles on the clock. I have 8400 miles today and it still does it. If I had to describe the sound it similar to the sound Hybrid cars like the Prius make in parking lots when they brake. A sort of metallic, high pitched slightly grity sound. I only hear it on my truck from the driver seat too and it sounds like it's coming from the front end and only when slowing and braking on my truck. Any help appreciated.

After reading your post I believe my truck might be making the same noise. Mine has done it from day one and 20 miles on the clock. I have 8400 miles today and it still does it. If I had to describe the sound it similar to the sound Hybrid cars like the Prius make in parking lots when they brake. A sort of metallic, high pitched slightly grity sound. I only hear it on my truck from the driver seat too and it sounds like it's coming from the front end and only when slowing and braking on my truck. Any help appreciated.

Other than the sound not being high pitched you describe it perfectly. Very gritty and almost a grinding sound.

Steve

To help narrow it down try running it:

With traction and stablity control off - if noise goes away or not. The systems on these trucks i have noticed is touchy, mine fire off the traction control / anti lock brakes every morning when I'm driving down the gravel driveway and it sounds ginding like.

In 4WD does it do the same sound or only in 2WD?

Turn your climate control off - does it still do it (clutch fan and / or compressor clutch could be kicking in or off)?

And heres one for the weird books, not in a GM product, but I had a friend that was getting a strange noise when acclerating and it was the speed sensing radio - he thought it was off but really it was tuned to a blank station and turned low. Weird, but made some interesting white noises that he thought was mechanical when giving it the gas.

Other ideas that the dealer may have checked but doesnt hurt to look again:

Rock stuck in the brake rotor / caliper / dust shield

Front ball joints and tie rod ends have been lubed (signs of grease on the zerks)

Shock boot / dust shield rubbing on shock - my truck only has 10K on it and the shock boots have rubbed section of the paint off the tubes, when you compress the suspension stopping or taking off it could be making a rubbing noise.

Hope it helps..

• 4 years later...

I have the same issue with mine!! Have you figured it out yet ?

Hi Crookster,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern as well with a noise in your 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. I understand that you are seeking advice from your fellow forum members, however, if you need any assistance connecting with your dealership we are always here to help. Thank you!

Andraya R.

GM Customer Care

Get the front end up off the ground give the tires a spin with a buddy try and recreate the noise while watching. See if you can get closer...your description is pretty vague. I would try I and pin point it a little closer and fill us in again [emoji106]

I had this before but mine were the rotors. They were not over worn or anything. The ones that come from GM are garbage. I replaced mine with aftermarket and new pads and sounds went away. I am with the guys above lift it up and give it a spin. :)

Archived