Onstar Bluetooth

99kon

OK i know this has been beaten to hell on here but I have come across 2 onstar bluetooth module's.

One is from a 09 malibu and the other is from a 09 Cadilac STS. I wonder if these would work on our trucks!

I dont want to pull the trigger and buy one of them and then find out I have a new paperweight.

Maybe a GM Tech can chime in!

OK i know this has been beaten to hell on here but I have come across 2 onstar bluetooth module's.

One is from a 09 malibu and the other is from a 09 Cadilac STS. I wonder if these would work on our trucks!

I dont want to pull the trigger and buy one of them and then find out I have a new paperweight.

Malibu - NO. Caddy - Not sure. What is the part number. Also, some hook up via quick disconnect antenna leads, and some have one that screws on. Trucks have the "qd's".

Malibu - NO. Caddy - Not sure. What is the part number. Also, some hook up via quick disconnect antenna leads, and some have one that screws on. Trucks have the "qd's".

Part # 20837492

Part # 20837492

NO, don't wast your money. It has the screw on connector and is not programmed to work in our trucks.

Part # 20837492

NO, don't wast your money. It has the screw on connector and is not programmed to work in our trucks.

Thanks buddy!

The search continues!

Part # 20837492

Thanks buddy!

The search continues!

I think your best bet is to find a wrecked LTZ or Denali, and get the OnStar Module out of that.

Part # 20837492

Thanks buddy!

The search continues!

I think your best bet is to find a wrecked LTZ or Denali, and get the OnStar Module out of that.

I actually pressed the onstar button on friday and asked them if they could get me the new module if i agreed to add one year of service.

The lady on the other end did not even know that bluetooth was in the module. she supposedly spoke to her manager and said that its a factory part and could not do anything about it.

I said i thought onstar was on in my truck for safety reasons and that talking on the phone while not having a hands free kit is not safe, basically just blew me off and said they could not do anything about it.

I actually pressed the onstar button on friday and asked them if they could get me the new module if i agreed to add one year of service.

The lady on the other end did not even know that bluetooth was in the module. she supposedly spoke to her manager and said that its a factory part and could not do anything about it.

I said i thought onstar was on in my truck for safety reasons and that talking on the phone while not having a hands free kit is not safe, basically just blew me off and said they could not do anything about it.

I don't know why you would think OnStar would want you to get it in the first place, they want to sell you their prepackaged minutes. When you have the bluetooth built in and paired it will connect to the truck automatically when the truck is on and your cell phone will take preference over OnStar's built in phone feature. That, in addition to OnStar not being in the GM Parts sales business means that they have absolutely nothing to do with what you wanted in the first place.

It doesn't have to be an LTZ or Denali.... any '09 with Bluetooth will do (you could get LT/SLT/SLE models with bluetooth).

And no, 99kon, the STS/Malibu parts will not work. I know the modules you're looking at, they're on eBay coming from Schram's, right? I live near them, and was out there in person last week, looking at both of those modules. The interchange is different in the computer, and the connectors on the units themselves are physically different than a GMT900's.

NickV: your conspiracy theory is a bit off, bud. GM wouldn't have put bluetooth in any vehicle if they were worried about not selling as many minutes through OnStar (GM owns OnStar). That's because the purchase of minutes and airtime via OnStar actually goes to Verizon Wireless -- not GM/OnStar.

You are, however, right that OnStar isn't in the business of selling GM factory parts. GM is -- and for whatever reason (probably due to contract obligations with Verizon or other outside service providers who are crucial to OnStar's existence) they are very tight about releasing these parts for public sale and consumption.

The best bet we have is to either find '09-10 GMT900 parts, '09-10 Lambda parts (Acadia/Enclave/Traverse), or 2009.5 Pontiac G8 parts (all three use the same VCIM according to interchange information). What you're after are one of two GM part numbers: 20783877 or 25984444

Those are the only two VCIM part numbers WITH BLUETOOTH that will be compatible with a GMT900 truck, but they will work in any GMT900 from 2007-on. You just need to get the module programmed to your truck at a dealer -- they'll have to recalibrate it with a Tech2, then you can call OnStar and give them the information off the new module so they can link it in their system to your truck/account as well.

I too am in a search for the proper parts at a reasonable price (guy at Schram's told me the one 25984444 VCIM that their computer system shows them as having had was sold to a customer for $65).

I put a 20783877 in my 07 SD and it works great. Using the built-in OnStar microphone is exceptionally clear.

Where did you find yours? Just curious since I've been completely striking out here locally and in most of the searching I've done online.

Also, I'm curious if you've taken your truck to a dealer or someone with a Tech2 to have it fully paired to your truck, or if you're just using it without completing the rest of the OnStar link-up procedure....

V8GMT Guy, very nice explanation-excellent detail!!! :D:happysad::smash:

Thanks! I've been researching and hunting for these parts for quite a while now, so I've narrowed down the necessary components and procedures pretty much as far as I can until I have the parts in hand and can observe what the dealer service department needs to do to get it up and running.

I actually bought it from a member of this forum. It was listed in the classified section for $275. I know that is a steep price but I didn't have the time to search the local yards or online so I bought it. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I did contact OnStar Tech Support to see if they could do the Station ID swap without having to get the dealership to program it but they couldn't. I will be swapping my non-DVD nav for a DVD nav soon so when I take it to get the THEFTLOCK removed, I'll have them program the OnStar at the same time. In the meantime, it works flawlessly and I don't have an active OnStar subscription any way so that's not a big issue for me.

Archived