Larger Fuel Tanks

I have a 26gal tank on a 2009 GMC Sierra w/6.5' bed

Ok, so I found several options for bigger fuel tanks for diesel engines2_bing.gif but what about us guys with the 1500 gasoline engines? This issues leaves me with 1 question or another:

1. Is there a place where you can buy a larger replacement fuel tank2_bing.gif for gasoline engines (not one that goes in the bed, don't want to lose any of my 6.5' bed)

OR

2. Is there a larger tank off of an older model truck that would fit as a replacement for my stock tank, maybe one that I'd have an easier time finding in a junk yard?

Now going from the 26gal up to a 35gal would be nice and I'd jump on that if I could find one relatively cheap but I'm also interested in larger options than that.

i have a 36 gallon tank on my 1500 long box, i don't ever fill it all the way because its alot of dead weight that sponges off my mpg, its nice if your going for a long trip or something but for a DD just be happy with the 26 gallon tank...as far as putting a tank where the spare tire is, i would think that woulden't be benificial really, thats alot of weight behind the axle..it would make for an odd ride

Putting an extra 11 gallons (~85 lbs) behind the rear axle would be imperceptable on my 2500HD. With my 8.1L I can barely squeak out 200 miles to a tank. Around here that's a PITA. With a 36 gallon tank I can go 300 miles which is much more palatable.

DEWFPO

Putting an extra 11 gallons (~85 lbs) behind the rear axle would be imperceptable on my 2500HD. With my 8.1L I can barely squeak out 200 miles to a tank. Around here that's a PITA. With a 36 gallon tank I can go 300 miles which is much more palatable.

DEWFPO

i was refering to the OP's 1500...sure a 2500HD you could just throw a fuel tank in the bed if you want to...i have seen a toyota tacoma with a fuel tank built into the bed..it looked like a rolling bomb but i'm sure it makes for quick fuel pump replacement lol

DEWFPO

i was refering to the OP's 1500...sure a 2500HD you could just throw a fuel tank in the bed if you want to...i have seen a toyota tacoma with a fuel tank built into the bed..it looked like a rolling bomb but i'm sure it makes for quick fuel pump replacement lol

I've looked before and have never found a DOT approved in-bed tank for gasoline, only diesel fuel.

DEWFPO

DEWFPO

I've looked before and have never found a DOT approved in-bed tank for gasoline, only diesel fuel.

DEWFPO

Transfer Flow has DOT approved In Bed tanks for Gasoline but the are very expensive, I was thinking of putting a 17 gallon low profile fuel cell inside my crossover tool box with plumbing down to the filler hose.

From Transfer Flow:

TransferFlow Gas

"Transfer Flow's in-bed fuel tank systems are available in 37, 50, 75, and 98 gallon fuel tanks, and are available for diesel and gas pickups! Our gas systems meet federal and California Air Resources Board emissions regulations."

thanks guys for input. i did some research and it seems like no company makes gas tanks that are a retrofit for a GAS application. all these companies i contacted only make diesel tanks. as for trans flow they DO NOT make larger tanks for newer vehilcles... only diesels. they DO make many tanks for the bed but man are they expensive and who wants to lose MORE bed space? the TF sales person told me that it is too cost prohibative to make gas tanks since they now have to be tested via epa standards. jro909... since ur truck a long box that is why u got the larger tank. GM does however make a 35gal tank that only costs 300 bucks that will fit in the factory place.. question is will the mounting work?? is it the tank that goes into the long bed?? all the other factory parts will work with this tank... just dont know how it will fit. it isnt THAT important to buy it and test fit it. i drive a ton of highway miles (500-600 a week) and a larger tank would be great but not worth all the effort. :)

I have a spare tank in my Sierra from many years ago (1990). It paid for itself time and time again. It will hold upto 82 gallons if you fill it all the way. Generally I try to put only 75 in it. That plus the 26 gallon tank, it gives me a while I can drive. Back when I first got it I drove from Grand Junction CO to Davenport IA non stop. Didn't have to stop for fuel, food, anything. I can get 18 mpg average from the tank-load. That is 1,800+ miles.

Fully equipped for working in the mountains, I have that 101 gallons, an additional 6- 5 gallon jerry cans, and 5- 6 gallon jugs of potable water. That's 131+ gallons of fuel and 30 gallons of water.

I think I can last a day or two with that.

I'm with you...I can last about 5-6hrs without getting out from the truck. With my setup I can just about get to 5hrs, but I'm always afraid of running the level too low, thus heating up the pump and causing premature failure. Plus there is the peace of mind factor.

I wish for just a few more gallons....

I too would like to replace the one already there, and not have to worry about plumbing a separate tank.

Just a FYI. If you have an extra tank in the bed and just have a valve you open up to fill your current tank from your added tank, make sure the truck is off when you open it. These newer trucks don't like having the fuel gauge going up while the vehicle is running. Throws a code and limits your speed till you get it reset. That goes for diesels and gas.

I've also looked around for larger fuel tanks for these trucks. Nothing for the 1/2 ton gas GM trucks. Well, unless you want to put one in the bed. The 26 gal fuel tank is kind of small for a truck of this size and relatively low mpg. My friends '09 F150 has a ~35 gal tank. And I know Dodge has an optional larger tank as well.

Oh well, guess I'll have to live with weekly fill-ups and frequent stops on long trips.

Archived