Tonneau Cover

Welcome to the site. You'll get 100 answers on which is the best. I currently have Extang Full tilt cover and I like it alot. It's snap-less and comes off in seconds. Also able to remove the rear tailgate bar if needed. Its very sturdy and seals the bed great.

I've had many over the years, and I think this is one of my favorite. :lol:

Hi all...I'm looking at a Tonneau Cover. I had no idea there were so many styles! Can you offer some suggestions as to which are better than others? Thank you!

WELCOME to this great site!!

Check out this thread that has been running for a while recently. Excellent info!!

Tonneau Cover Discussion Thread

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

Bak flip,

What not to invest in:

Here is a letter and emails supporting why to take a hard look at this product.Needless to say i am unhappy :rolleyes:

Bak Industries

720 Jessie St

San Fernando, CA 91340-2235

(818) 365-9000

To: Ivan CEO

On Aug 5th 2008, I originally purchased item #BAC2601_2 from Auto Accessories Garage. It was exactly as promised, easy to install and functioned great. Four months later I noticed a lot of wear on the rubber liner in the track and the outside seal at the hinges.

In November 2008, I contacted Lauren and after that conversation, I was sent the G2 as a replacement. Over time, I noticed rivets popping and rubber wearing as the previous model. A noticeable amount of water has seeped through the hinges onto my belongings inside the bed.

Early this month, Ivan and Lauren have extended me a pro-rated cost on an upgrade F1 model 72101. A concern I have is investing more money on a product that has not performed . I picked this cover for many reasons all of which you list in your advertisements. I am satisfied with function, but not the durability.

I have some possible options. I would be willing to make a drive to the San Fernando location in exchange for my current cover to a F1 model. Another option could be some type of refund. I really just want a cover that will last and meet my needs. I use my 2003 Chevy Silverado for transporting my gear as a firefighter.

I have enclosed a copy of my original receipt and video link of my concerns in this e-mail.

Thank you for your time and concern in this matter.

Professionally and valued customer,

Mark

CC: Julian Maimin COO

CC: Lauren Dromy Warranty

theres more see video attached to letter

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/eba3345.../video/11077363

respose was:

Mark,

Thank you for providing the digital footage of your BakFlip as well as a copy of your receipt.

As I mentioned in a conversation with you last week, I am willing to upgrade your cover to a new F1 BakFlip at a cost of $365. Unfortunately, I am unable to issue any kind of refund on your original purchase from August 2008, as you have used the product for the entire life of the warranty and then some too.

The F1 BakFlip is a remarkable cover which is made of fiberglass reinforced polymer on the top side and baked on aluminum sheeting on the underside. It has a retail value of over $980 and comes with a 2 year warranty.

Since you have no warranty, the best I can do is offer you an upgraded unit at what it would cost me to make a new cover, which is what I've done by offering you the F1 at $365.

I understand you are reluctant to spend any more money, and for that reason I'd like to suggest that if you receive your F1 cover and you aren't entirely happy with it within the first 90 days of owning it, I will take it back from you and issue you a full $365 refund.

Please get back to me at your convenience.

Lauren Dromy

V.P. Operations

BAK Industries

818 365 9000 ext. 16

www.bakliner.com

last response:

Lauren,

As I mentioned in a conversation with you last week, I'm not willing to pay for a THIRD item from your company when the first AND second items have both worn out within the first year of receipt. Speaking of which, why is it that when a replacement item is sent, the warranty from the original item is carried over instead of starting over with the replacement part? No where in your "policy" does it state that this is to happen with replacement items.

You've heard the saying, "You get what you pay for"? Well, it's not, in the least, true in this instance. I have not gotten anywhere close to the use out of the product I paid almost $700 for just about a year and a half ago. How is it that 4 months after buying the original item, it's found to be defective, then a second item is sent as a replacement, which also is found to be defective? Now you are asking me to BUY this third item when the first two didn't hold up in the first place. No thank you.

For charging such an outragous amount for your product, one would think you would stand behind the workmanship of the item. Not try to get more money out of the customer. While it may be true that the best advertising is word-of-mouth, never lose sight of the fact it also can be the worst advertising.

Please get back to me at your convenience and thank you for your time.

Mark

Bottom Line:

• Look at all warranty info
  • what are your needs overall 90% of the time
  • More moving parts more malfunctions

It didnt work for me twice and not willing to pay for a third shot at the title.

A firm NO :lol: on Bak Flip products

....Needless to say i am unhappy :dunno:

Good information, but SUCKS that it happened to you!! Best of luck getting this worked out!!!

Mark I would like to know if you open and close your BAK Flip a lot or what is your take on why the product was breaking down so bad. Do you drive with it in the open position that may have caused each section to rub on the other one it is folded against? I am looking at the F1, but after seeing this I am not so sure about spending that kind of money for something like that. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you and any comments would be appreciated.

Welcome! Mark outlines a good thread above, so be sure to check that out. I have an Undercover tonneau. I bought it because it's a hard cover, weighs 60 lbs, and cost me $630. I'm happy with it because it's easy to remove. But it only comes in one color...shiny black plastic.

Good luck in your search!! Let us know what you decide!

i love the pace edwards cover on mine. luckily it was already on the truck when i bought- cause i think theyre really pricey (like, a thousand dollar range). but it sweet. its corrugated steel that rolls up into the top of the bed. i lose like 6-8 inches at the top of the bed,but its below the rails, lockable, locks every foot or so, keeps most water out- where the cover meets the tailgate isnt 100% waterproof. it basically gives you the protection of ahard cover with the flexibility of a soft cover.

Archived