2009 Sierra 1500: Removing Grille

Gentlemen,

I just bought a 2009 Sierra two weeks ago and my first accessory, after the spray on liner, was a GM factory grille. See pic:

GMC-Sierra-2009-1500-08PGSR01937-Grille_lrg.jpg

Anyways, the instructions were damaged during shipping, looks like the paper got wet/moisture.

I need help removing the factory grille.

I removed the 6 rivets from the top plastic piece. Once that is removed, it exposes 4 small bolts, which I removed.

The grille has 6 metal clips that snap into brackests on front of the radiator. These are a little tricky to close and remove. It looks like I got them all unfastened, but the grill is still attached.

Is there another clip/piece I am not seeing?

Thanks for the help. I will post pics once I can get it on. I am trying to avoid driving 30 miles to the nearest GMC dealer for probably a 10 min service.

you need to take the bumper cover off (top section of the bumper). there 2 screws in each side and then clips.

i can post pics when i get home from work tonight

Thanks Matt. That would be much appreciated.

I just don't want to break anything that I am not seeing.

Sorry man... forgot about this...

Ok.. so the bottom of the grill has a C shape to it that faces forward anc wraps around the upper bumper cover. Once the grill is unbolted there's not enough room to move the grill backwards to disconnect the tabs with the upper bumper cover in place, so it needs to be removed before the grill.

BL018.jpg

BL022.jpg

BL021.jpg

Matt,

I really appreciate it. Thanks a lot man. I will tackle this grille replacement this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Once again, thanks for the post and pictures.

Dynamite works well too :lol:

They can be a pain, good luck

Unlike Matt, I was able to get the grill off without removing the bumper piece. Most likely a little easier removing it. Quite frankly, I was afraid to pull... so I worked it out. Just be patient, it's not going to come right off. Work it slow and in sections from each end. :lol:

If yo don't mind me askin, where did you get that grille and how much did you pay for it?

I got the part number (19154749) from the GMC dealership after I decided on which bumper I wanted. It was between this one and the three chrome line one they put on the All-Terrain editions.

Once I got that, just searched the web with the part number. Cheapest place was ebay.com.

Got it for $339.00 with free shipping. The two dealers I talked to wanted $415-435 for the same bumper, and that didn't include install which they both tried to push.

Anyways, I got the grille on last night. Pictures will be posted soon.

Unlike Matt, I was able to get the grill off without removing the bumper piece. Most likely a little easier removing it. Quite frankly, I was afraid to pull... so I worked it out. Just be patient, it's not going to come right off. Work it slow and in sections from each end. :D

This is impossible to do on a 2009 model. See Matt's pictures (#2 and 3, white tabs). The six tabs connecting the top part of the bumper to the grille require you to remove both to get the grille out and separated.

Thanks again Matt.

• 1 year later...

i had to remove my grill and bumper cover today to put in my silverstar ultra's and it was a huge p.i.t.a. once i had everything reassembled it appears as if there is now a slight rise in the bumper cover right in the middle of the grill. from what i can tell all the clips are lined up properly. any ideas on what may be causing this?

Unlike Matt, I was able to get the grill off without removing the bumper piece. Most likely a little easier removing it. Quite frankly, I was afraid to pull... so I worked it out. Just be patient, it's not going to come right off. Work it slow and in sections from each end. :thumbs:

This is impossible to do on a 2009 model. See Matt's pictures (#2 and 3, white tabs). The six tabs connecting the top part of the bumper to the grille require you to remove both to get the grille out and separated.

Thanks again Matt.

Difficult yes, impossible.. no :) I had the same tabs to deal with.

Either way, It looks good.

Archived