Brighter Bulbs For 2008 Silverado Fog Lamps?

Compared to the fogs in my old '99 Silverado, the GMT900 fogs do a much better job. It could be the physical size of the lamp, the clear lens, or how the reflector is shaped, or where the bulb filament sits in relation to the reflector.

One thing to consider with going to a higher wattage bulb is whether or not the extra heat generated by that bulb will damage the plastic housing or if the wire or fuse will handle the additional load.

As far as xeon or "blue" bulbs for the GMT800 fogs, I would not even try. The housings are smaller and will be worse for excessive heat.

For the GMT800, it's much easier to simple replace the factory lamps with something like a Hella FF-75 fog or driving light kit. These lights will fit in the factory location with a very small amount of effort. The lamp housings are high-strength plastic with glass lenses. The bulb is an H4 and there are a number of bulb types like Xenon in the H4 type.

The kit comes with a relay that should be used to provide the current needed. The stock fog light wire can be used to operate the relay so you don't need the separate switch. I added these to my '99 when one of the OEM fogs broke. Made a big difference in lighting along with using SilverStar Ultras for the low beams.

I like the ones on my old 05 GMT800 the best. Had a set of Silverstars in them, and that was even better.

HPIM0121-1.jpg

did you have the silverstar 880 foglight bulbs? i want to try them and see if they are brighter but i dont want to waste any more money since i have already bought 3 pairs of other brands of 880's and none of them were any brighter than stock

on the other hand.. just bought silverstar ultra low beams and all i can say is wow.

There are apparently few choices. SpencersHID.com has a HID conversion. I have it. I'm not convinced I'd buy them again. They are way too bright for my application. Someone had a conversion using a high output halogen high beam bulb, but I can't recall the details.

I like the ones on my old 05 GMT800 the best. Had a set of Silverstars in them, and that was even better.

HPIM0121-1.jpg

did you have the silverstar 880 foglight bulbs? i want to try them and see if they are brighter but i dont want to waste any more money since i have already bought 3 pairs of other brands of 880's and none of them were any brighter than stock

on the other hand.. just bought silverstar ultra low beams and all i can say is wow.

I ran the Silverstar 893's on my 2000. Ran them for a few yrs. I even bought an extra set and never needed them. I still have them in my garage in the package.

I ended up using the bulb style 9005- 55w 6000k HID kit from http://www.ddmtuning.com/

It took some muscle to put them in the slot and turn to lock but its doable.

Ive gone thru so many sets of silverstars , ultras , and knock off hid imitators .... figured id try the real deal! And im glad i did! They arent fog lights anymore.... They are now driving lights :D I have them aimed tho so im not blasting oncoming traffic.. Unless its a honda sitting 1/2" off the ground... but those are ok to blind :lol:

I'm running Silverstars for my low beams... is there any other cheap alternatives to obtain 'white light' fogs?

just can't see paying $100 for those leds.

the silverstar ultras are the best for high and low. i have had lows and just go highs and they are amazing.

Archived