Dealer Having Issues Programming The 2010 Nav In My 09

I added 2010 Nav and factory backup camera to my 09 LTZ as per the 2010 USB thread on this site. Nav was a takeout so it was locked.They tried to program it as a 10 and a 09 and couldn't get it.The 1st time they called GM the tech line said it wouldn't work.The second time they said it would probably work if I had bought a new one from them.They are going to try again Monday............. any ideas.......????????

I added 2010 Nav and factory backup camera to my 09 LTZ as per the 2010 USB thread on this site. Nav was a takeout so it was locked.They tried to program it as a 10 and a 09 and couldn't get it.The 1st time they called GM the tech line said it wouldn't work.The second time they said it would probably work if I had bought a new one from them.They are going to try again Monday............. any ideas.......????????

You could try posting this question over on the Audio/ Video section. My guess would be that your Nav unit is not compatible but that's just a wild guess as I only have knowledge of the '08 without USB or Bluetooth.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showforum=28

I did some asking of my friends in the AV world and they say all the dealer needs to do is get it to relearn the new vehicle's VIN. As long as the donor vehicle had Bose like yours, there should be no other reprogramming needed. However, the dealer's computer may not have the latest update for this particular part number. They might need to download it from GM.

I thought I read somewhere that they have to say its a Monte Carlo or something else in the TECH 2 to get the option to relearn the VIN.

Subject:

Radio Displays Locked Or Theft Lock - keywords inoperative loc no sound speaker colume #PIT4007A - (02/28/2007)

[align=left]

Models:

2007 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT[/align][align=left]

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL [/align]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The radio theft deterrent system disables functionality if the VIN information received by the radio does not match the vehicle VIN information. The radio receives the vehicle VIN information through GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information from the vehicle before it will function. If the VIN information of the vehicle does not match the learned VIN information in the radio, it will display "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK".

Recommendation/Instructions:

Currently, performing the radio setup in SI (Document ID # 1745049) will not learn the vehicles VIN information to the new radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction.

A temporary solution is to perform the radio setup in SI (Document ID# 1745049), as well as, perform a VIN relearn. To perform the VIN relearn, build the Tech 2 as follows:

F0: Diagnostics

Passenger Car

(1) Chevrolet

W

WN Monte Carlo LTZ

F6: Body and Accessories

Entertainment

F5: Module Setup

F0: Radio

F0: VIN Relearn

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Don, just a thought but did you add the aftermarket VSS/Voice harness and whatnot when you did the install? If not that might cause a hiccup, but I'm not sure.

I would say that Greg is on the right track though -- I've never heard of people having problems with OE radio upgrades beyond just having the dealer do a VIN re-learn. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't be working.

Don, just a thought but did you add the aftermarket VSS/Voice harness and whatnot when you did the install? If not that might cause a hiccup, but I'm not sure.

I would say that Greg is on the right track though -- I've never heard of people having problems with OE radio upgrades beyond just having the dealer do a VIN re-learn. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't be working.

I did add the VSS harness and The Harness to the Onstar module

I thought I read somewhere that they have to say its a Monte Carlo or something else in the TECH 2 to get the option to relearn the VIN.

Subject:

Radio Displays Locked Or Theft Lock - keywords inoperative loc no sound speaker colume #PIT4007A - (02/28/2007)

[align=left]

Models:

2007 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT[/align][align=left]

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL [/align]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The radio theft deterrent system disables functionality if the VIN information received by the radio does not match the vehicle VIN information. The radio receives the vehicle VIN information through GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information from the vehicle before it will function. If the VIN information of the vehicle does not match the learned VIN information in the radio, it will display "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK".

Recommendation/Instructions:

Currently, performing the radio setup in SI (Document ID # 1745049) will not learn the vehicles VIN information to the new radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction.

A temporary solution is to perform the radio setup in SI (Document ID# 1745049), as well as, perform a VIN relearn. To perform the VIN relearn, build the Tech 2 as follows:

F0: Diagnostics

Passenger Car

(1) Chevrolet

W

WN Monte Carlo LTZ

F6: Body and Accessories

Entertainment

F5: Module Setup

F0: Radio

F0: VIN Relearn

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Took some info to the Dealer today,looks like they will try this Service Bulletin Tomorrow before they get back on the phone with GM,anyone have an idea if this might work?

I'm in the same boat. Bought a take-out off eBay and tried to have it programmed at dealer today. The "Monte Carlo" trick worked for clearing theftlock, but the tech gets an error when trying to program radio. All I have right now is a clock, nothing works yet. We are waiting for the engineering solution.

I'm in the same boat. Bought a take-out off eBay and tried to have it programmed at dealer today. The "Monte Carlo" trick worked for clearing theftlock, but the tech gets an error when trying to program radio. All I have right now is a clock, nothing works yet. We are waiting for the engineering solution.

That is not what I wanted to hear........... at all :)

No good news yet. GM technical support told dealership yesterday that the 2010 nav radio will not work in 2009. I countered today that Gregorio's new 2010 nav radio installed fine in his 2009. Dealership said that they would make more calls and get back with me.

The radio will come on if I hold down the audio or menu buttons, but at full volume (no volume control). I can go through various menu options - switch between bands, change channels, eject nav dvd. Nav options do not seem to work though.

No good news yet. GM technical support told dealership yesterday that the 2010 nav radio will not work in 2009. I countered today that Gregorio's new 2010 nav radio installed fine in his 2009. Dealership said that they would make more calls and get back with me.

The radio will come on if I hold down the audio or menu buttons, but at full volume (no volume control). I can go through various menu options - switch between bands, change channels, eject nav dvd. Nav options do not seem to work though.

There is a radio vender on Ebay that will program the radio to the truck for about $100.00...... if my Dealer doesn't get mine working today I'm shipping it to be programmed tomorrow....

FYI from my experience, GM Techline has been having issues with reprogramming and calibration files not only related to the radio/nav units on newer vehicles but also reprogramming of the BCM as well. I had a similar issue where GM Techline said that my IPC was busted and that it would not accept the programming for the DIC (GMT800). Had an independent programmer take care of this for me and now all is well...dealership himself said that he is loosing faith in GM Techline.

Archived