Switch To Synthetic Oil At 100,000k ?

I have an 04 Avalanche 5.3L. I bought it with 90K, and I have used Valvoline 10W-30 Max Life synthetic blend for the last 10K miles. I just turned 100K and was thinking of using Amsoil synthetic. I have used Amsoil in my other vehicles for some time.

Are there any benefits at this point to switch to full synthetic or do I risk causing leaky seals or anything else?

I live in the Chicago area, so we see a wide range of temps and conditions.

You do risk getting leaky seals but imho you should be fine my dads 2006 silverado has 120,000 km on it and he switched to synthetic around 98,000 without any problems so i guess its up to you. Maybe someone with more oil experience will chime in. Good Luck

Brandon

I switched a 1995 car over with 109,000 miles and had no leaks and oil consumption when down from 1qt. every 2k miles to 1qt. every 4.5K miles. The synthetic cleaned out the engine as well judging from looking in the oil fill in the valve cover. I'm sure the oil rings got cleaned out by the synthetic and that, along with the higher vaporization point of the synthetics caused the engine to go longer between using oil. When I changed to synthetic, I even used the same weight as the dino oil.

No worries.

DEWFPO

My 2000 silverado I had switched back and forth mutilploe times from 80,000 to 136,000 miles. It never had any leaks or consumption issues. Its got 200,000+ on it now. I think your gonna get 300,000 miles outta these engines with dino oil anyways so I don't see the point of synthetic. But lets not get into an argument about whats better....thats just what I've convinced myself of lol

the causeing leaks thing is a myth, modern synths won't do it unless theres already pre-existing problems....a little oil conusmption may happen, worst i've seen is half a quart in 6 thousand miles...whoopy thats a drop in the bucket

My 2000 silverado I had switched back and forth mutilploe times from 80,000 to 136,000 miles. It never had any leaks or consumption issues. Its got 200,000+ on it now. I think your gonna get 300,000 miles outta these engines with dino oil anyways so I don't see the point of synthetic. But lets not get into an argument about whats better....thats just what I've convinced myself of lol

Totally agree with you man...dino oil nowadays is so much better than it used to be...the additive packages in there is far superior to back in the day. I am a firm believer in that if you are planning to keep the vehicle till it becomes more expensive to fix than buy something new, you will benefit from synthetic...other than that your wasting your cash. I use Synthetic in my truck...Royal Purple...I change it every 5K KM...3K miles....but I have a little OCD when it comes to my OCI... :flag::lol:

I bought my truck with 128000 on it. I changed the oil within a few days and went to Mobil 1. I am at 156000 a year later and have seen no issues. When I filled the crankcase with antifreeze and water afew ago, I was surprised to see that the stuff I drained out was blended and not separated at all. I am hoping that running the good oil helped save my bottom end.

Totally agree with you man...dino oil nowadays is so much better than it used to be...the additive packages in there is far superior to back in the day. I am a firm believer in that if you are planning to keep the vehicle till it becomes more expensive to fix than buy something new, you will benefit from synthetic...other than that your wasting your cash. I use Synthetic in my truck...Royal Purple...I change it every 5K KM...3K miles....but I have a little OCD when it comes to my OCI... :(:lol:

Yea, I can my oil probably too frequently also, but its for peace of mind. Dino oil changes at 3K are probably just fine, but I will send a little extra for the synthetic.

Archived