Onstar Removal On 2009 Gmc Sierra

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra. It is an SLE with the standard seats and no console. I understand the Onstar module is behind the center dash panel beneath the heater controls. I don't use the phone service and have no plans to renew my Onstar premiums so removal is a non issue for me other than the fact I want it removed.

Can I just unplug everything and take the whole module out? What fuse, once removed, will turn off the lights on the rear view mirror? One of the Onstar lights will glow red once the module is removed instead of green right? Will that fuse affect anything else?

I have read on the newer corvettes that one of the connectors needs to stay plugged in and that only three connectors and an antenna wire should be removed. Is that because removal of Onstar affects any other systems?

Thanks, but no tinfoil here. I just don't want it in there. I am not so much worried about being tracked as I am that there is an electronic system that anyone who works at Onstar can listen inside my truck. It just seems weird that anyone who can get a job in their call center could listen in on me if I pay my dues for the service or not.

Either way, Monday this thing is getting looked at whether or not anyone here has any technical advice.

The technical questions were if I can unplg all the wires with no side effects and also what fuse will kill the rearview mirror button lights with no side effects.

I want to sit the module in my garage without affecting anything else in the truck. It will be humorus to see the next diagnostic email.

All you have to do is remove the fuse,It kills all power to the On-Star module.

Your taking things too far with the whole "worried about someone listening inside your truck" thing :(

Yeah, because the Gubment never listens in on conversations that they aren't supposed to, right? Fourth Amendment be damned!!

Frankly, I don't blame you for not wanting it. I don't want it either. If I could have ordered my new vehicle without it I would have.

On-star people cannot randomly listen in if you don't push the button, they also have more to be concerned about than you. They have thousands of users and not just GM vehicles to answer questions or emergency's.

The technology is no different in your cellphone-so you better take the battery out of it as well. A virus in your cell can provide an "open mic" for listening without your knowledge, or provide video or photos via your camera. All cellphones have GPS, and you can be "tracked" with cell towers as well. When you post comments on websites, your IP address is logged, and can be tracked down to which computer in your home posted it.

Of all of those, OnStar is the least likely to be hacked, or monitored. Your computer is the most likely to be tracked/monitored.

As long is your not doing anything that would give them a reason to look into you I wouldnt worry about it that much. Out of all the people onstar provides service to why would they be so concerned about you?

And i also agree about what was stated above about the cell phone.

Well, I figured the thread would break down into a non-technical discussion. Anyway, I don't have a cell phone anymore if that was ever an issue. I wouldn't have a problem having one but my workplace was always calling me to come in when I did have one so I let the contract expire and now when I get off work I am really off work.

I am not worried about being tracked nor am I worried about breaking the law. I am just not comfortable having the possibility of an open microphone in my vehicle. It just seems creepy to me and everyone swears it will never be an issue until it ends up being an issue. Either way, if I am not using the thing there should be no reason to have it there.

MS3DALE, do you happen to know which fuses control the module and the rearview mirror button lights? Do they control anything else? If I unplug every wire harness from the module will there be any side effects to the truck's computer? Will all the other systems still operate?

this is what I was going to suggest, do a search to get a "how to" for removing the overhead console, you'll find the OnStar mic in there, just unplug it or cut the wires and you have solved your problem without causing other problems.

If it's just an open mic you're worried about, why not take the much easier step of disconnecting the microphone? It's located in the center console in the headliner where the map lights are.

Archived