99 Silverado Roof Water Leak

I have a 99 silverado extended cab (new body style) and water is leaking in from the roof somewhere. And then it leaks on out onto the floor/carpet. There is a TSB for this http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/1999/Ch...t/K+Series/Body I am just not sure what the next step I should take is?

Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

I noticed it on my 99 2500 Sierra as well. I haven't seen the full TSB, but I'd imagine that it has to do with the caulking in the body seams in the roof?

I have a 99 silverado extended cab (new body style) and water is leaking in from the roof somewhere. And then it leaks on out onto the floor/carpet. There is a TSB for this http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/1999/Ch...t/K+Series/Body I am just not sure what the next step I should take is?

Four issues spring to mind (not all inclusive):

1) Door Seals have deteriorated

2) Door(s) are misaligned

3) Sunroof (if equipped) is leaking from one of the drain tubes

4) Center High Mount Stop Lamp is not sealed properly (it looses it seal over time)

Does this truck have a factory sliding back glass? If so that is a very possible suspect. I had a 99 silverado with factory slider and it poured water. Replaced it C.R. Lawrence and problem solved. This is GM did not offer a factory slider for a few years. The seals would not seal properly or would crack prematurly. Mine leaked where the water channel on the passenger side roof met the back glass seal. I tried silicone or anything else I could think of with no fix. Only solution was a new back glass. Hope this helps.

None of those potential leak spots are my problem. Mine is leaking either at the back window upper corner or more likely along the body seam that is in the upper right rear corner of the roof coming off the back window.

I had a similar problem with my 2000 Silverado Ext. Cab back a few years ago. Actually the truck was still pretty new at the time at only 4-5 y/o. I finally determined that the source of the leak was the cab vent. One is located on the passenger's side of the rear of the truck cab. It is just plastic and snaps into the sheetmetal from the outside. You can see it if you look between the bed and rear cab area. There is a rubber o-ring like seal to keep out the water but that seal also forms a nice lip for water to collect on. I took out the rear seat and with a water hose I was able to confirm this to be the location of the leak. Once I replaced that part all has been well and never had another issue.

John

So the "updated" list would be:

1) Door Seals have deteriorated

2) Door(s) are misaligned

3) Sunroof (if equipped) is leaking from one of the drain tubes

4) Center High Mount Stop Lamp is not sealed properly (it looses it seal over time)

5) Factory Sliding Glass

6) Glass seals

7) Body seam - upper corners

8) Cab vent on the back of the cab

A few months back somebody on here commented about water leaking. On GMT800's. Check the seam where the roof to side panels are joined. Their is some seam sealer that dries and cracks. It fluids down the pillow behind the front door on the drivers side. Comes in the cab and wets the carpet and the track where the threshold covers.

I checked mine and it has started cracking, when ever it starts leaking I will worry with it.

I will post up some pictures later this afternoon about the place I am talking about.

Jbo

As promised pictures..... Note the crack marks in the body sealer. I tried searching threw the forum but I don't remember what the guy called the thread....... But this is the problem.... Edgewise where is the water at??? front, Center, Rear, L, R, Dash, glass????

I have a 99 tooooo I know their is a leak going to occur at some point in its life....

Jbo

As promised pictures..... Note the crack marks in the body sealer. I tried searching threw the forum but I don't remember what the guy called the thread....... But this is the problem.... Edgewise where is the water at??? front, Center, Rear, L, R, Dash, glass????

I have a 99 tooooo I know their is a leak going to occur at some point in its life....

Jbo

possible to get a wider shot to see the reference of where you are pointing to???

Jbo

possible to get a wider shot to see the reference of where you are pointing to???

hrm, yeah, camera phone its cruddie photo's...... I will get my camera out in the morning and take a shot....... Hopefully the light will be better in the morning..... haha one of those I had to take with a flashlight..... and it turned my white paint a odd shade I can not describe before I GIMPed it...

Jbo

Jbo

Mine is leaking in the front on the left and right hand sides... Sounds like this is a fairly common issue for Silverado's.. How in the world do you fix it?

Does this truck have a factory sliding back glass? If so that is a very possible suspect. I had a 99 silverado with factory slider and it poured water. Replaced it C.R. Lawrence and problem solved. This is GM did not offer a factory slider for a few years. The seals would not seal properly or would crack prematurly. Mine leaked where the water channel on the passenger side roof met the back glass seal. I tried silicone or anything else I could think of with no fix. Only solution was a new back glass. Hope this helps.

It has an aftermarket back sliding glass, not factory. Would this still be an issue? Thank you..

Jbo

Jbo

OK, here are a couple more pictures.

Jbo

Edit:

Sorry had to post to see what order they ended up in.... hahaha

1st picture passengers door weatherstrip

2nd picture passengers door weatherstrip removednotice cracks in seam sealer

3rd picture passengers door notice cracks in seam sealer

4th picture passengers door post water will run down and fill post and flow over into the threshold and then into the floor pan.

5th picture drivers door with weatherstrip removed notice cracks in seam sealer

6th picture drivers door threshold removed if your leaking from the post this will be wet and discolored from the rest of the sheet metal.

7th picture drivers door weatherstrip removed notice cracks in seam sealer

8th picture drivers door post water will run down and fill the post and flow over into the threshold

Archived