My Fog Light Kit Came Today

My fog lights came today. I got mine from ebay seller gmpartswharehouse (no affiliation). If you're looking for the kit with factory painted end caps I give this vendor two thumbs up. He's got them in 4 or 5 colors and the price is right. Don't expect any communication. He will ship a few days after receiving payment and you will get a tracking number. That is all. The kit shipped from a Chevy Dealer in Illinios. Price paid, 283.99 plus 14.00 shipping. It took about a week and a half from date of payment to receive the parts. It arrived in two boxes, both of the same size. In one box is an end cap with painted surface covered in white plastic wrap, the lights, wiring harness, switch, some brackets and intructions. The other box contained one end cap wrapped the same way.

I'm a little bit intimidated at the thought of taking apart half of the front of my perfectly good truck at the moment just as I was with my leveling kit install. I'll stand in the garage reading the intructions and looking over the parts a hundred times then after a few weeks has passed, one day when I've built up enough nerve, I'll get out there and do it. I'd rather get the satisfaction of doing it myself while learning a little about how my vehicle is put together than pay a dealer to install and learn nothing.

I'll be coming back to this thread to ask questions, and post pics of the completed job. I have read the one or two other threads here that go into this subject with some details and I'm asking for anyone who has already installed one of these kits to post here anything you may have learned. Your input and helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. :P

It is my hope that once my lights are installed and this thread has run it's course that even people with limited automotive skills will be able to complete this task by using the instructions that come with the kit and this thread as a reference.

Now for my first questions.

1. What is a flat bladed plastic trim tool? I have an old tool that was used to rip plastic fasteners out of 70's and 80's car door panels. Is this the same tool?

2. Where can I find? - Fog Light Aiming - Document ID #1837540

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with your install! I have like 10 boxes in my basement, all parts for my 09 silverado and one of the parts is the fog light upgrade. I should be doing mine in a few weeks. Here is a wiring thread you will want to save. it makes the wiring very easy, and has a pic walk through.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=fog+lamp

-Chris.

You shouldnt need the trim tool.

The aiming document, if I remember correctly, simply states that there is no side to side adjustment and that the vertical adjustment should be maxed out for proper aim.

Take your time and you should be fine installing this. It is easier to reinstall the front bumper with the aid of a helper.

Sounds like the Chevy kit is a lot more intense than the GMC kit. I have a GMC and put the kit in it. Took all of 10 minutes. Hardest part was trying to run the harness from the left to right side and finding the holes for the clips. It all came in one box, and included an instruction booklet in three languages.

I just did the same install a couple of weeks ago, wasn't that bad except my bumper and or passenger side bumper bracket were a little misaligned. A second person will help tons but can be done solo. I didn't have to aim mine, seemed to be aimed correctly out the box, maybe I'll see if the can be aimed any higher. Where should they be hitting? Good luck with your install.

• 2 months later...
Got the radiator cover and grill off, pry'd out lower radiator baffle clips, now I'm stuck till Autozone opens, I ain't got no 21mm socket.

I am sure you are on your way to Autozone by now, but a 13/16" socket is almost exactly the same size if I remember correctly. But at least you will have the 21mm socket now when you need one.

Archived