My Fog Light Kit Came Today

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All done. I hooked the purple fog light wire into the wrong terminal the first time around. Once I figured that out we was golden. The purple wire goes on the same side and just below a green wire if that'll help anyone out in the future.

Lights on, it's time for some cold ones.

Great job. Is there anything that one should watch out for? Did you run into any major issues?

The two things that aggravated me the most were...

Keeping track of where the metal clips go that attach the end cap to the bumper with screws and getting them back on the right way.

The junction block. Getting it apart, figuring out where the purple wire goes, which I got wrong the first time.

A few little things that will keep you from doing something that will make you mad...

Make sure you have a soft area to lay the bumper down and work on it or you will scratch the bumper and the paint on your end caps. I scratched one of the old end caps somehow even though I laid the bumper down on cardboard.

Leave the white plastic on the new end caps till after you have the bumper back on the truck. Just pull it away enough to reinstall the cap to the bumper. I did it this way and my new end caps are pristine after the work is done.

I just want to say thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and experience on this site, and to whomever is responsible for making this place go. If it were'nt for me finding this site I don't know if I would've even attempted to do this myself especially to an almost new vehicle. My truck looks 1000% better now than it did the day I bought it. Thank you all.

DSCN2112.jpg

ooops, forgot to cover up my plate. :lol:

Great job. Is there anything that one should watch out for? Did you run into any major issues?

The two things that aggravated me the most were...

Keeping track of where the metal clips go that attach the end cap to the bumper with screws and getting them back on the right way.

The junction block. Getting it apart, figuring out where the purple wire goes, which I got wrong the first time.

A few little things that will keep you from doing something that will make you mad...

Make sure you have a soft area to lay the bumper down and work on it or you will scratch the bumper and the paint on your end caps. I scratched one of the old end caps somehow even though I laid the bumper down on cardboard.

Leave the white plastic on the new end caps till after you have the bumper back on the truck. Just pull it away enough to reinstall the cap to the bumper. I did it this way and my new end caps are pristine after the work is done.

Great Job. Looks better.

• 1 month later...

Looks a lot better, thumbs up on taking the time to post pictures as you went. The only issue I ran into when I installed mine was either my bumper or the passenger side support bracket was slightly cockeyed so it was a pain to try and hold the bumper, bracket and bolt in place while trying to tightening the bolt with out someone to help. If you have some one to help (even if they just there to talk to or hand you things as you need it) makes thing go a little faster.

My fog lights came today. I got mine from ebay seller gmpartswharehouse (no affiliation). If you're looking for the kit with factory painted end caps I give this vendor two thumbs up. He's got them in 4 or 5 colors and the price is right. Don't expect any communication. He will ship a few days after receiving payment and you will get a tracking number. That is all. The kit shipped from a Chevy Dealer in Illinios. Price paid, 283.99 plus 14.00 shipping. It took about a week and a half from date of payment to receive the parts. It arrived in two boxes, both of the same size. In one box is an end cap with painted surface covered in white plastic wrap, the lights, wiring harness, switch, some brackets and intructions. The other box contained one end cap wrapped the same way.

I'm a little bit intimidated at the thought of taking apart half of the front of my perfectly good truck at the moment just as I was with my leveling kit install. I'll stand in the garage reading the intructions and looking over the parts a hundred times then after a few weeks has passed, one day when I've built up enough nerve, I'll get out there and do it. I'd rather get the satisfaction of doing it myself while learning a little about how my vehicle is put together than pay a dealer to install and learn nothing.

I'll be coming back to this thread to ask questions, and post pics of the completed job. I have read the one or two other threads here that go into this subject with some details and I'm asking for anyone who has already installed one of these kits to post here anything you may have learned. Your input and helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. :D

It is my hope that once my lights are installed and this thread has run it's course that even people with limited automotive skills will be able to complete this task by using the instructions that come with the kit and this thread as a reference.

Now for my first questions.

1. What is a flat bladed plastic trim tool? I have an old tool that was used to rip plastic fasteners out of 70's and 80's car door panels. Is this the same tool?

2. Where can I find? - Fog Light Aiming - Document ID #1837540

Is gmpartswharehouse the website? Or??

• 2 weeks later...

Im curious about the aiming aspect of this. I bought the kit for my GMC 1500

(GMT-900) and Im putting it in tomorow.

I hate douches that DON'T have their lights aimed improperly!! And I do not want to be one of those!

Archived