8.1l Mpg

I'm looking to buy a monster truck to tow my rv trailer it's a 2004 K2500 Burb with the 8.1L and I don't find the mpg average ? It may have some reason :thumbs::lol::lol:

Thanks

I'm looking to buy a monster truck to tow my rv trailer it's a 2004 K2500 Burb with the 8.1L and I don't find the mpg average ? It may have some reason :thumbs::lol::lol:

Thanks

Its because 8.1L and fuel economy don't belong in the same sentence. :lol::lol:

If you want economy, get a diesel...but you'll pay a premium for that too....average as far as I have heard for the 8.1 is around 10-12MPG if the maintenance is kept up to date. You may do a little better on the highway...but with a loaded trailer....your gonna be looking in the 6-8 MPG range.

I would have to agree with everyone else. You can't buy the 8.1 with fuel economy in mind. I have only had mine for about four months and won't know about the towing fuel economy until this summer. I have seen numbers as high as 14 on the highway and 10 in town. I usually average a whopping 12.5. Fortunately it is not my daily driver. Should tow like a beast though.

I have been around them since they came out in 2001 and I can tell you they get from 9-12 MPG. My dad's current 3500 dually does 9.5 MPG almost consistently. Towing a large slide-in camper and an 18' fishing boat it will do 9 MPG, empty might be 10.

I have never drove a Suburban with the 8.1/4-speed combo, but the 8.1/Allison is a very capable puller. Also a Suburban may net slightly better mileage than a 3500 dually pickup.

I notice that you currently have a '99 C2500 Suburban, if you have the 454 in that then the mileage will be the same or better with the 8.1.

I notice that you currently have a '99 C2500 Suburban, if you have the 454 in that then the mileage will be the same or better with the 8.1.

Are you serious....

Are you serious....

I am just going by what I have experienced, the last 454 that we had was a 2000 that would average 8-9 unloaded, that is it. When it was loaded it was plain awful. I guess that was a generalization about the Vortec 454, I should have said that the 8.1 should be better than the old 454. If you have a 350 in the '99, then the 8.1 will most likely be worse.

I had an 01 with the 8.1 and Alison and it was a great truck,felt like a sports car with that big motor.Back then fuel was about 40% cheaper and I could afford to drive it.It also hauled my travel trailer effortlessly.But in todays world of ever higher fuel prices I drive a 1500 with the 5.3 AFM

I would have to agree with everyone else. You can't buy the 8.1 with fuel economy in mind. I have only had mine for about four months and won't know about the towing fuel economy until this summer. I have seen numbers as high as 14 on the highway and 10 in town. I usually average a whopping 12.5. Fortunately it is not my daily driver. Should tow like a beast though.

This is pretty musch spot on for my 2002 Silerado 2500HD, 8.1L / allison, crew cab, 4x4, with 3.73 grears.

As a matter of fact I just checked my MPG this morning and I averaged 9.997 MPG this past week with 80-90% of the miles being driven in town.

I manually compute my MPG when I fill up AND I also have a SCANGAUGE2 that I compare it too.

I plan on buying a Black Bear tune and seeing just how much more MPG I can get out of this truck.

Archived