20 replies to this topic

#1 takevin

takevin

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,106 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Drives:2008 Silverado Street Truck

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

I need to remove the tailgate next week when the new rollpan goes on, looking at it, it seems just removing the hex screw on each side will do it? Anyone know? thanks! :dunno:

Posted Image
President of the Orange Crush Truck Club!

#2 longhorn_giant

longhorn_giant

Enthusiast

• 378 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

The cables can clip off, then lower the tailgate, and the lower right section will slip out of place, and you can walk away with it. its really easy, I do it all the time when I load stuff.
Posted Image
Ryan
2008 Silverado - "The General"
Ext. Cab Standard box
TX Edition - 5.3L V8 w/ AFM
20" wheels
K&N OEM Stock Replacement Filter
6" GM Accessories Running Boards
Power mirrors/Blinker in mirror/Auto retracting
Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit
Delta Pro Toolbox
Rail Caps
Line-x bedliner
Blackbear Performance Tune

#3 bgabrielsewi

bgabrielsewi

Enthusiast

• 136 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

yeah you shouldnt have to unscrew anything. like ryan said, just unclip the black cables, open it about half way, lift up on the right side and pull it out!
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 5.3l 4:10, K&N Air Intake.,Aftermarket LED roof lights, Airlift airbags,265 70 17 goodyear wrangler duratracs Posted Image
My Garage

#4 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

read your manual, instructions are provided.

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

#5 y2kz71

y2kz71

• 996 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

yup, one side has a slot to allow it to come out. Once you do this you will realize how easy it is and why so many get stolen.
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1,5.3, 2" lift, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers

Posted Image

#6 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

Tailgate cable on the body side has clips on it.. Pull clip up side off bolt (watch the paint). Likewise on the other side (hold TAILGATE it will fall into bumper and cause cussing fits). Tilt tailgate upward half way. Pull up on passengers side.... Step Back one step pull off slowly from drivers side... (AGAIN watch the paint)........ Reverse directions for install.

Jbo

#7 takevin

takevin

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,106 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Drives:2008 Silverado Street Truck

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:10 AM

Cool thanks everyone, going to have to be extra careful when it goes back with the new rollpan.

Posted Image
President of the Orange Crush Truck Club!

#8 Boutin

Boutin

Enthusiast

• 116 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Tailgate cable on the body side has clips on it.. Pull clip up side off bolt (watch the paint). Likewise on the other side (hold TAILGATE it will fall into bumper and cause cussing fits). Tilt tailgate upward half way. Pull up on passengers side.... Step Back one step pull off slowly from drivers side... (AGAIN watch the paint)........ Reverse directions for install.

Jbo

..I dont see any notch or place for the gate to come off my GMT900 with "EZ lift" gate??? are these gates not removable due to the internal spring on the drivers side??
09 chev. LT crew, 5.3, 6sp Z71, Truxedo cover, HD cooling & G80, K&N, 2" level with blocks, debaged, colored bowtie, handles, & tailgate handle, antenna delete, 35% front, 275/65 18 Hankook ATM RF10, smoked tails & 3rd

Posted Image

#9 Blue Sierra Owner

Blue Sierra Owner

Enthusiast

• 694 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra SLE Iradium Metalic

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

Yes the Ez lift tailgates can be removed atleast on my 2009 it can. The east way to prevent your gate from being stolen is to put a hose clamp around where the gate connects and tighten it down. Most people will not have tools to remove the clamp. I have had several friends and relatives have theirs stolen in the past.

Edited by Blue Sierra Owner, 03 August 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#10 BadStickMan

BadStickMan

Enthusiast

• 149 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Yes the Ez lift tailgates can be removed atleast on my 2009 it can. The east way to prevent your gate from being stolen is to put a hose clamp around where the gate connects and tighten it down. Most people will not have tools to remove the clamp. I have had several friends and relatives have theirs stolen in the past.

I just lock my tailgate so someone just cant walk off with it. :thumbs:

#11 tunseeker1

tunseeker1

Enthusiast

• 145 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

The rear camera wires have to get disconnected if you have it.

#12 Blue Sierra Owner

Blue Sierra Owner

Enthusiast

• 694 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra SLE Iradium Metalic

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

I just lock my tailgate so someone just cant walk off with it.

Yep that's what my uncle said when his got stolen on his 08. The insurance guy told him he's seen locked or unlocked it does not matter. :thumbs:

#13 STex

STex

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,218 posts
  • Drives:09 SLT CC 4x4

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

You can buy locks that go on the pivot point so you cannot lift the gate off...like the screw clamp but with a lock and more secure.

#14 Casual But Jiggy

Casual But Jiggy

Enthusiast

• 170 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

:thumbs: I had no idea tailgate theft was an issue. People will just take anything huh.
'09 2500HD SLE | Carbon Metallic | 20x9 XD Monsters 285/55-20 Toyo Open Country AT | Truxedo Lo Pro

#15 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:53 AM

Jbo

..I dont see any notch or place for the gate to come off my GMT900 with "EZ lift" gate??? are these gates not removable due to the internal spring on the drivers side??

Dunnnno, it has to come off.... I have not paid attention to a GMT-900 in the hinge area on the tailgate..... Next one I load something in I will take a quick look....

Jbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users