Removing Tailgate?

I need to remove the tailgate next week when the new rollpan goes on, looking at it, it seems just removing the hex screw on each side will do it? Anyone know? thanks! :dunno:

Tailgate cable on the body side has clips on it.. Pull clip up side off bolt (watch the paint). Likewise on the other side (hold TAILGATE it will fall into bumper and cause cussing fits). Tilt tailgate upward half way. Pull up on passengers side.... Step Back one step pull off slowly from drivers side... (AGAIN watch the paint)........ Reverse directions for install.

Jbo

• 3 months later...
Tailgate cable on the body side has clips on it.. Pull clip up side off bolt (watch the paint). Likewise on the other side (hold TAILGATE it will fall into bumper and cause cussing fits). Tilt tailgate upward half way. Pull up on passengers side.... Step Back one step pull off slowly from drivers side... (AGAIN watch the paint)........ Reverse directions for install.

Jbo

..I dont see any notch or place for the gate to come off my GMT900 with "EZ lift" gate??? are these gates not removable due to the internal spring on the drivers side??

Yes the Ez lift tailgates can be removed atleast on my 2009 it can. The east way to prevent your gate from being stolen is to put a hose clamp around where the gate connects and tighten it down. Most people will not have tools to remove the clamp. I have had several friends and relatives have theirs stolen in the past.

Yes the Ez lift tailgates can be removed atleast on my 2009 it can. The east way to prevent your gate from being stolen is to put a hose clamp around where the gate connects and tighten it down. Most people will not have tools to remove the clamp. I have had several friends and relatives have theirs stolen in the past.

I just lock my tailgate so someone just cant walk off with it. :thumbs:

Jbo

..I dont see any notch or place for the gate to come off my GMT900 with "EZ lift" gate??? are these gates not removable due to the internal spring on the drivers side??

Dunnnno, it has to come off.... I have not paid attention to a GMT-900 in the hinge area on the tailgate..... Next one I load something in I will take a quick look....

Jbo

Archived