93 Octane

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy20

dannyboy20

Enthusiast

• 59 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

Just wondering how many people run 93 ocatane over the 87. I always here mixed reviews on this topic. Does it make a big difference over the long run for the engine.

#2 99chevy7.4L

99chevy7.4L

Enthusiast

• 421 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

I run only 93 octane in my truck. It runs so much better on 93 empty or towing. Granted I have a big block in my dually. I am sure some will chime in soon.
7.4L vortec, Airaid Cold Air Intake, EFI-Live, LS1 injectors, Derale Cooling tube pan, Bilstein shocks, Magnaflow 2.5inch Dual IN/OUT

Posted Image

#3 BlackOut V8

BlackOut V8

Enthusiast

• 139 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

my truck loves good oil and good gas. 93 Octane Shell (NO ETHANOL) and Amsoil 5-30 Synthetic.

Way better gas mileage and better running vehicle in my honest opinion. Spend the money and get the good stuff. Give it a few tanks to learn the new octane and log your gas mileage if you dont see a difference I will mail you some gas.

BlackOut V8
Posted Image
2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 4.8L VORTEC : VOLANT CAI - BELLTECH 2" DROP SHACKLES - 22"DUB RIMS - CUSTOM BILLET GRILL - 8% TINTS - TRI-FOLD TONNEAU COVER - RIKENSPORT 8000K HID - BREMBO GT BIG BRAKE KIT - LED INTERIOR - BILSTEIN SHOCK ABSORBERS - GOODRIDGE STAINLESS LINES - MAGNAFLOW - BLACKBEAR PERFORMANCE TUNE -

#4 Pittsburgh PK

Pittsburgh PK

Enthusiast

• 402 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Justin @ Blackbear tuned my 5.3l for 93 octane. I typically run 89 to save some pennies, plus I'm usually easy on the throttle. But one tank out of every 3-4 tanks is 93 octane. I can certainly tell the difference between those two grades of gas, and I've done it enough times that I'm confident it's not the placebo effect. 93 runs smoother, and has marginally better mileage. Plus it feels like it has more power at the pedal.
Pete
Pittsburgh, PA
2005 Black/Pewter GMT800. 5.3L L33, ECSB.

Tuned by Justin @ Blackbear. Bilstein HD Shocks, 265/70-R17 Wrangler Silent Armors, Undercover Tonneau, Lund Interceptor Deflector.

2004 Yamaha YZF600R (Blue/Black) street bike. Bridgestone Battleax BT-020 tires, Vance & Hines SSR2 exhaust, ZG Double Bubble Windscreen, Rizoma Zero-11 Turn Signals.

Previously Owned:
1991 C1500 Silverado. 5.7L Red/Gold

Posted Image

#5 Chevy BowTie

Chevy BowTie

Enthusiast

• 71 posts
  • Name:Jay-D
  • Drives:2014 Z-71 LTZ Silverado Crew cab

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Justin @ Blackbear tuned my 5.3l for 93 octane. I typically run 89 to save some pennies, plus I'm usually easy on the throttle. But one tank out of every 3-4 tanks is 93 octane. I can certainly tell the difference between those two grades of gas, and I've done it enough times that I'm confident it's not the placebo effect. 93 runs smoother, and has marginally better mileage. Plus it feels like it has more power at the pedal.

+1 I agree, I have tried all 3 (87,89,93) and my truck seems to have more power and run better. Without the higher octane, my truck seems to hesitate.

#6 BigGMC09

BigGMC09

Enthusiast

• 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

I also run amsoil 5W-30 full synthetic, and I also alwase run 93 octain, and every once and a while a dab of octain boost (just for shits and giggles :angel: ) but I would also recomend that after every 5 or so fill ups that you run some injector cleaner through it.

my truck loves good oil and good gas. 93 Octane Shell (NO ETHANOL) and Amsoil 5-30 Synthetic.

Way better gas mileage and better running vehicle in my honest opinion. Spend the money and get the good stuff. Give it a few tanks to learn the new octane and log your gas mileage if you dont see a difference I will mail you some gas.

BlackOut V8

#7 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Waste of money and no benifit unless you are tuned for it...

http://www.bajajusa....High Octane.htm

http://www.wisegeek....octane-fuel.htm

http://en.wikipedia....i/Octane_rating

#8 coloradoSkiCountry

coloradoSkiCountry

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

:angel:
Posted Image

GM- Simply the best, and saying "To Hell with the rest!"

#9 Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Enthusiast

• 416 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

:rolleyes: +2

When I got my truck tuned the guy told me that unless you computer is programmed for higher octane using it is useless and a waste of money.

Posted Image

2007 Silverado 1500 5.3L
2" Fabtech Leveling Kit
17x9 Moto Metal 955's
285x70x17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's
Magnaflow Exhaust
AFE Stage 2 Intake
Vengeance Racing Tuned
Line-X Bedliner
...and a few more here and there.

#10 stlavsa

stlavsa

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,622 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

:rolleyes: +2

When I got my truck tuned the guy told me that unless you computer is programmed for higher octane using it is useless and a waste of money.

Theres nothing special in 93 octane or 100 octane or 110 octane that gives your motor more power. Octane rating is simply its rating on resistance to detonation.

Now if you motor as work done to it that would increase the likeliness of preignition or detonation such as timing advances, high compression pistons, shaved heads, forced induction, then absolutely you would benefit and require a higher octane.

I guess the point is the octane rating itself doesnt make any more power, but allows your motor to be modified to take advantage of the higher octane rating, and THEN you can make more power. If your truck is OEM stock your pissing away your pennies for NOTHING. Its not an opinion its a fact.
Fabtech n 20's

#11 kdixer

kdixer

Enthusiast

• 696 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

I guess the point is the octane rating itself doesnt make any more power, but allows your motor to be modified to take advantage of the higher octane rating, and THEN you can make more power. If your truck is OEM stock your pissing away your pennies for NOTHING. Its not an opinion its a fact.

People make the argument that custom tunes are better than handhelds due to each engine having different characteristics. Well the same holds true for oem tunes.

My truck had significant spark knock with the factory tune running 87 octane (5.3 liter aluminum block). When I had my predator, while data logging, I noticed the predator 87 tune had less timing advance than my oem tune. The predator 93 tune had about the same spark advance as my oem tune. When I got my autocal from blackbear he confirmed that the truck had plenty of knock retard running 87 and recomended running at least 89 even with the stock tune.

So my point is, sometimes higher octane will have benefits even if you are not tuned. Every vehicle is different. Higher octane will also be of benefit while towing on a long trip as it will help eliminate spark knock under load.
The intention of my posts are simply an expression of my personal opinion. If they offend you, let me go ahead and appologize now. If that is not good enough, why do you care what i think? You probably don't even know me anyway.

#12 Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado

Independent Amsoil Dealer

• 3,292 posts
  • Drives:2002 Silverado 91 Jetta TD

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

Run what it states in the owners manual with a good quality fuel like Shell. If you tune your vehicle for higher octane then it will take advantage of that and get better performance and even economy, well as long as you can keep your foot out of it. :cheers:
Black 02 Silverado Z71, 5.3L Amsoil Fluids Black Bear Tuned with AutoCal
Black 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Economizer 91 Jetta Turbo Diesel

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!

Posted Image

#13 cghbuilder86

cghbuilder86

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Good ole ethanol free 87 for me. Trucks runs peeerfect on it :cheers:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 06MonteSS

06MonteSS

Enthusiast

• 217 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

Run what it states in the owners manual with a good quality fuel like Shell. If you tune your vehicle for higher octane then it will take advantage of that and get better performance and even economy, well as long as you can keep your foot out of it. :cheers:

"good quality fuel" and "Shell" don't belong in the same sentence :lol: just because their on GM's "Top Tier" gas list, doesn't mean anything... they paid to be on that list... there are better brands, better running fuels, that aren't even on the list.. Mobil being one of them...

have you done any data logging running Shell gas to check your KR??

Shell gas tends to cause a lot of KR... of the hundreds and hundreds of custom tunes I've done for people's cars/trucks, I could always tell when they switched gas and put Shell in their vehicles... KR would jump up like crazy... I would ask 'em if they put Shell in, and they'd be like, wtf??!! how'd you know that??!! LOL

Had it in my own car - when I first bought my car 5 years ago, I was running shell... until I data logged it and saw all the KR... I switched to Mobil 93, and it all virtually disappeared....

mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, bp and chevron tend to be the better/most consistent fuels...

there are two or three states where the Shell gas seems to be good, Texas being one of them - I forget the others... but in all other states, people that have used it and sent me their data logs, the knock retard was rediculous...

Edited by 06MonteSS, 29 October 2010 - 01:16 PM.

06MonteSS
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., perf. short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions, Inc. cold air intake
Email: [email protected]

#15 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Its not as simple as just paying to be on the list...

http://www.toptierga.../retailers.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users