93 Octane

• 1 month later...

my truck loves good oil and good gas. 93 Octane Shell (NO ETHANOL) and Amsoil 5-30 Synthetic.

Way better gas mileage and better running vehicle in my honest opinion. Spend the money and get the good stuff. Give it a few tanks to learn the new octane and log your gas mileage if you dont see a difference I will mail you some gas.

BlackOut V8

Justin @ Blackbear tuned my 5.3l for 93 octane. I typically run 89 to save some pennies, plus I'm usually easy on the throttle. But one tank out of every 3-4 tanks is 93 octane. I can certainly tell the difference between those two grades of gas, and I've done it enough times that I'm confident it's not the placebo effect. 93 runs smoother, and has marginally better mileage. Plus it feels like it has more power at the pedal.

Justin @ Blackbear tuned my 5.3l for 93 octane. I typically run 89 to save some pennies, plus I'm usually easy on the throttle. But one tank out of every 3-4 tanks is 93 octane. I can certainly tell the difference between those two grades of gas, and I've done it enough times that I'm confident it's not the placebo effect. 93 runs smoother, and has marginally better mileage. Plus it feels like it has more power at the pedal.

+1 I agree, I have tried all 3 (87,89,93) and my truck seems to have more power and run better. Without the higher octane, my truck seems to hesitate.

• 3 months later...

I also run amsoil 5W-30 full synthetic, and I also alwase run 93 octain, and every once and a while a dab of octain boost (just for shits and giggles :angel: ) but I would also recomend that after every 5 or so fill ups that you run some injector cleaner through it.

my truck loves good oil and good gas. 93 Octane Shell (NO ETHANOL) and Amsoil 5-30 Synthetic.

Way better gas mileage and better running vehicle in my honest opinion. Spend the money and get the good stuff. Give it a few tanks to learn the new octane and log your gas mileage if you dont see a difference I will mail you some gas.

BlackOut V8

:rolleyes: +2

When I got my truck tuned the guy told me that unless you computer is programmed for higher octane using it is useless and a waste of money.

Theres nothing special in 93 octane or 100 octane or 110 octane that gives your motor more power. Octane rating is simply its rating on resistance to detonation.

Now if you motor as work done to it that would increase the likeliness of preignition or detonation such as timing advances, high compression pistons, shaved heads, forced induction, then absolutely you would benefit and require a higher octane.

I guess the point is the octane rating itself doesnt make any more power, but allows your motor to be modified to take advantage of the higher octane rating, and THEN you can make more power. If your truck is OEM stock your pissing away your pennies for NOTHING. Its not an opinion its a fact.

I guess the point is the octane rating itself doesnt make any more power, but allows your motor to be modified to take advantage of the higher octane rating, and THEN you can make more power. If your truck is OEM stock your pissing away your pennies for NOTHING. Its not an opinion its a fact.

People make the argument that custom tunes are better than handhelds due to each engine having different characteristics. Well the same holds true for oem tunes.

My truck had significant spark knock with the factory tune running 87 octane (5.3 liter aluminum block). When I had my predator, while data logging, I noticed the predator 87 tune had less timing advance than my oem tune. The predator 93 tune had about the same spark advance as my oem tune. When I got my autocal from blackbear he confirmed that the truck had plenty of knock retard running 87 and recomended running at least 89 even with the stock tune.

So my point is, sometimes higher octane will have benefits even if you are not tuned. Every vehicle is different. Higher octane will also be of benefit while towing on a long trip as it will help eliminate spark knock under load.

Run what it states in the owners manual with a good quality fuel like Shell. If you tune your vehicle for higher octane then it will take advantage of that and get better performance and even economy, well as long as you can keep your foot out of it. :cheers:

Run what it states in the owners manual with a good quality fuel like Shell. If you tune your vehicle for higher octane then it will take advantage of that and get better performance and even economy, well as long as you can keep your foot out of it. :cheers:

"good quality fuel" and "Shell" don't belong in the same sentence :lol: just because their on GM's "Top Tier" gas list, doesn't mean anything... they paid to be on that list... there are better brands, better running fuels, that aren't even on the list.. Mobil being one of them...

have you done any data logging running Shell gas to check your KR??

Shell gas tends to cause a lot of KR... of the hundreds and hundreds of custom tunes I've done for people's cars/trucks, I could always tell when they switched gas and put Shell in their vehicles... KR would jump up like crazy... I would ask 'em if they put Shell in, and they'd be like, wtf??!! how'd you know that??!! LOL

Had it in my own car - when I first bought my car 5 years ago, I was running shell... until I data logged it and saw all the KR... I switched to Mobil 93, and it all virtually disappeared....

mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, bp and chevron tend to be the better/most consistent fuels...

there are two or three states where the Shell gas seems to be good, Texas being one of them - I forget the others... but in all other states, people that have used it and sent me their data logs, the knock retard was rediculous...

Archived