2008 Sierra Crew Cab 5.3l Burns Oil

I'm going through a similar situation with my 07 5.3 AFM Silverado. I've posted the oil consumption monitoring in the sticky at the top of the forum. I've found that the more highway driving I do, the more oil is used. Hence the AFM is activated. If I stick to very little highway driving, then oil consumption is minimal.

I do agree that some oil usage is normal and is allowed to a certain extent, but going through 2 or more qts of oil between service intervals indicates a problem somewhere.

My 03 5.3 non AFM Silverado used less than 1/2 a qt of oil, even when service intervals were approaching 9,000 miles. I have not changed my driving habits or type of oil that I use when servicing the truck.

If GM will not do anything, I will get a tune to totally disable the AFM, reduce or even eliminate my oil consumption.

I'm going through a similar situation with my 07 5.3 AFM Silverado. I've posted the oil consumption monitoring in the sticky at the top of the forum. I've found that the more highway driving I do, the more oil is used. Hence the AFM is activated. If I stick to very little highway driving, then oil consumption is minimal.

I do agree that some oil usage is normal and is allowed to a certain extent, but going through 2 or more qts of oil between service intervals indicates a problem somewhere.

My 03 5.3 non AFM Silverado used less than 1/2 a qt of oil, even when service intervals were approaching 9,000 miles. I have not changed my driving habits or type of oil that I use when servicing the truck.

If GM will not do anything, I will get a tune to totally disable the AFM, reduce or even eliminate my oil consumption.

What do you expect GM will do? they already have the fix: lifters and shield, and if it doesn't work cylinders and rings....

Meaning, if the oil consumption falls within their "allowed" specifications, then I will have a tune disable the AFM.

The way I see it, they will not provide permanent fix If AFM is the root cause, only remedies until warranty expires, but there could be other causes like valve cover.

• 1 month later...

My 08 Sierra is sitting in the shop for this very problem. I was just dumbfounded when the service rep made the comment about buring a quart every 1000 miles or so as normal! So that prompted a forum search which didn't take long to find this thread. No low oil indicator, just low oil pressure- Stop engine. just at 6,000 miles between oil changes. Have been using Castrol 5w-30 since purchase. Open to suggestions or opinions on my oil choice, btw.

Seems to me as far as engineer has come in the past decade, it has taken a giant step back on this one. My 2000 Chevy Silverado never had a leak or burned oil. Traded it in at 160K miles for this Sierra.

• 2 years later...

/profile/126795-drbigjohn316/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="126795" rel="">@DrBigJohn316

08 Sierra 89980 miles

no oil pressure stop engine message came on so I pulled over to check and it was 1 1/2 quarts low. Added oil and drove 109 miles and no oil pressure stop engine message came on again as I came to a stop the motor was idling so rough I thought it was going to drop out the bottom. Oil level was still full. Truck run fine as long as your driving, but when you stop it runs really rough. I brought it to dealer and they wanted $4,000.00 to replace lifters and cam shaft.(because it took me 6 years to get to 90,000 miles)

not saying its right but 1QT every thousand miles? BFD... having to check your oil more often than other vehicles? again BFD......Having to do lifters under 100k hell under 200k if taken care of? yeah there's an issue.... They seem to confuse normal maintinence that many of us would accept with their design issue. Guess what im trying to get at is that if my truck "used" oil at that rate (my 2010 hasn't burned a drop in 3k BTW) and never needed lifters/cam work I can deal with that..... the fact that there are mechanical issues showing up on all these trucks from the babied to abused, is wrong. It's like they are trying to make it a check oil issue when there's something way more to it...

if burning a quart of oil ever couple thousand miles is somehow considered normal with GM now , why is it not outlined in the owners manual? I'm surprised these engines can actually pass a smog inspection.

With millions upon millions in R&D money at GM over the course of this companies history, how on earth they managed to design an engine that burns as much oil as one probably dating back 75 years ago is beyond comprehension.

Archived