When Do You Replace The Shocks?

I have an 2002 Extended cab Silverado 4x4 with the Z71 package.

The truck has 130k miles on it and the shocks are still origional.

I don't do much heavy hauling, so the suspension is not taxed very often, but I am wondering how long the shocks should last on my truck?

The truck rides fine and my mechanic has never said anything about them needing replacement, but I am just wondering if they maybe need replacing after 8 years...

Thanks

um does it bounce a crap load? i knew mine were fryed because i'd hit a bump and feel like my truck was going to bottom out....i'd replace them, i don't think shocks last any longer then the warranty...i'd recommend bilstein HDs or the 5100s both are nice and have lifetime warrantys

130k miles on it... just wondering if they maybe need replacing after 8 years...
At 130K, it wouldn't hurt, however the key words used were "need replacing". I typically drop the bottom shock mounts on my Silv. every year or so (easy enough to do). You'll be able to tell whether they're still holding or getting tired.

I don't do much heavy hauling, so the suspension is not taxed very often, but I am wondering how long the shocks should last on my truck?

The truck rides fine and my mechanic has never said anything about them needing replacement, but I am just wondering if they maybe need replacing after 8 years...

Thanks

I replaced the factory shocks on my 02 at 40K miles and they were shot....all highway miles too. I'd replace them, you'll be surprised w/ the new ride.

My stock shocks (Z85) are still firm enough to make my belly jiggle on 580n through Oakland! On the other hand, after 6.5 years and 112k, they appear to made mostly of rust.

/hate shitty california roads

OEM shocks normally don't last until the warranty is up. Z71 package trucks did come with a bit of a better shock though. No shock does its job at peak efficiency beyond about 50,000 miles and many don't make it that long. At 130K, I'm sure they are SHOT. You have just been there as they got worse and don't realize how much they have deteriorated.

New ones will probably amaze you.

Thanks

HAHA 50k

I don't know about you but I RARELY EVER have anybody but me in my truck and I don't put stuff in the bed. Not to mention I don't tow with it.......

I went till 2 years ago.... It is a 1999 GMT800 so mine was 9 year old..... Had about 150k....... I put 4 new shocks on it and said "WHY HAD I NOT DONE THIS BEFORE NOW"? It rode like new again....

But I did happen to toss a couple new parts under the front at the same time...

New upper and lower control arms, spring insulators, sway bar end links, sway bar frame insulators, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, and shocks all the way around. Only thing I wish I had done was 2 new coil springs....... But I did get my rattle about a month or two later...... When I replaced that intermediate shaft.... The rattle was the reason I replaced the other stuff..... It would not have been so bad if I had not had the thing in the shop under warranty hrmmmmm 2 or 3 times over it when it was new.... I forgot about the thing making noise when it is bad, so I got stupid with the front end..

Jbo

Edit: OH Yeah, I forgot allow me to suggest Monroe Reflex MonoTube shocks..... Best shock on the market........ As far as ride control... But I will contend that Bilstein's do have their place in the market... I have been selling the reflex monotubes for a number of years and every single person I have sold them to has praised them after they got them on..

Front 911501

Rear 911502

These are for the 02 1/2ton 4wd, w/ Z71 RPO code

Shock manufacturers recommend for the most part 50k. I have never replaced shocks on my trucks but also have never gone over 100k before upgrading vehicles.

Current truck will be here for a while so I will do suspension work when she hits 6 figures.

OK, I think I will get the shocks replaced next I have the truck in for service.

Is there anything else my mechanic should do while replacing the shocks?

Thanks for all the advice.

Archived