Any 2007 Or Newer Suburban 2500 Owners Out There?

Hello all

I'm a newbie here, and just recently replaced my cherished 2005 Yukon 1500 with a used 2007 Suburban 2500 6.0 4x4. Replacement was mainly due to an expandin family (3 kids now instead of 2, plus a dog), and my Yukon's marginal ability to pull our 26' travel trailer.

So my questions are this:

1. Are there many 2007 or newer Suburban 2500 owners on this forum?

2. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with your 'burban? (including around town, highway, and towing if you know all 3)

3. What kind of modifications have you done to your Suburbans? Cosmetic? Performance? Fuel Economy? Other?

I recently replaced the stock exhaust with a Magnaflow cat back system, and am very happy with looks, sound, and fit/finish. No idea yet on fuel economy, but seat of pants the truck feels a bit stronger...

Anyways, if you are willing, help a newbie out and share?

Thanks in advance

Well based on complaints in the forums the 6.0L is lazy. Fuel mileage is 12mpg to 16mpg. Most here get tuned by blackbear and they are happy campers. Your 6.0L will pull that camper no issue. The issue is what gears are in the yukon. If there 4.10 or 3.73 your fine anything lower numerically will be a strain on the transmission. Assuming is an 2500 yukon you probably have the 4L80E transmssion and the DO NOT LIKE HEAT. Put a bigger transmission cooler on it at a minimum. More will chime in soon I am sure.

At least for 2010, the 2500 Yukon's only come with 3.73's. There aren't any options (higher or lower). The 2500's also come with the 6L90E transmission. With the 6.0 they aren't a racecar by any means, but it has plenty of get up and go. I would have liked, and gotten, the 6.2 if it was offered in the 2500.

Gas mileage is not great. 12 city, 17 highway is what I've been getting (only 800 miles on it though). Haven't towed much other than my flatbed trailer unloaded (~2000 lbs) so can't comment on the towing mileage.

I don't plan any mods for it. It serves my needs perfectly as is. I'll have it for probably 7 years and it'll be stock until the day I sell it (probably...).

On my old 2001 3/4 burban with the 6.0L I would get 17mpg on the Hwy and 12-14 around town. That was also with a 4L80 trans. I would say get a tune and the milage should be a little better. Also the new 6.0L has 350+hp(factory rating) and the trans is also the 6L90 as stated already. I remember towing anything less than 5000lbs and it was very easy to forget that anything was behind me, and even towing 8000-9000+lbs was not to bad at all.

We love our 2007 2500 6L 4X4. We got it with every option possible and couldn't be any happier with it. We love the NAV system in it. The 07's came with the 4 spd transmission and ours has 4.10 gearing in it. It pulls our wakeboard boat like its not even back there even when we are fully loaded with people and gear. I don't pay attention to the mileage, I don't wanna know how bad it is, but it serves a specific purpose so it doesn't matter anyway. Here is a picture.....

2841109070084149825S600x600Q85.jpg

Hello all

I'm a newbie here, and just recently replaced my cherished 2005 Yukon 1500 with a used 2007 Suburban 2500 6.0 4x4. Replacement was mainly due to an expandin family (3 kids now instead of 2, plus a dog), and my Yukon's marginal ability to pull our 26' travel trailer.

So my questions are this:

1. Are there many 2007 or newer Suburban 2500 owners on this forum?

2. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with your 'burban? (including around town, highway, and towing if you know all 3)

3. What kind of modifications have you done to your Suburbans? Cosmetic? Performance? Fuel Economy? Other?

I recently replaced the stock exhaust with a Magnaflow cat back system, and am very happy with looks, sound, and fit/finish. No idea yet on fuel economy, but seat of pants the truck feels a bit stronger...

Anyways, if you are willing, help a newbie out and share?

Thanks in advance

I have the 07 2500 suburban. The 6.0 with 3:73's struggles severly when you get the combined weight ove the 12k mark. Gas milage unloaded around town is always 10-11 mpg but fully loaded not all that much worse (8-9 mpg). This is a good mid load vehicle but very lazy when pushed to the upper ranges of design loads.

When I ordered mine in 07 I had the option of getting 4:11's but did not thinking that gas milage would be better with the 3:73's ( cant get much worse than getting now). That probably would have made a night and day difference in pulling the heavier loads.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 Yukon XL 2500 4wd (every option except sunroof) which i purchaesd new for the express purpose of towing a 28' auto transport. Have towed 60K miles so far. Many mods. Heat is an issue when towing heavy. I put on a large trans cooler but it did not make much difference. My guess is there is limited flow to the cooler. I changed the trans pan to a deeper aluminum finned pan. But if you do this you have to build heat shields for the exhaust. The pass. side pipes crosses right under the pan. I shielded the drivers side and the crossover pipe. This probably made the biggest difference. Catylyst are right there so a lot of heat. I shielded the exhaust were it travels next to the pass. side rear exhaust because it was melting the shock boot and overheating that shock. I added a differential cooler. I have 410 gears and get 13.5 empty and 5 to 7 while towing. I added GM's high perf intake kit. Replaced stock fog lights with Piaa Ion Crystal Fogs (tough job) Added 2 additional 8" DVD gaming monitors for the far back seats. (took out the dome light and used the power cables. Added inverter to power laptops, Xbox and Wii. Put an onboard air compressor in. 18" chrome rims with load range E tires to preserve all towing performance. Probably the most interesting mod is the exterior. I purchased all parts (with the exception of the front clip to convert the look to Escalade. All badges still read Yukon XL but the sides and back turned out great. Front is all Denali. Dealers always comment on it. a lot of money and a lot of work but it looks great for a 2500. I also painted the factory Camper Mirrors body color. Other things like, Prodigy brake controller, built in wifi, Bluetooth charging ports at all seats, 4 additional 12V plugs, built in radar/laser detector, and built in hidden CB. Everythng inside and out looks factory. 4 things still on the to do list: Bilstein shocks, OBD II computer, 2nd battery and wirelss remote tire press sensor for the trailer. We live in Los Angeles so every trip entails mountain ranges and high heat in the summer. Could definitely use more power for what we do. Duramax would be perfect. Have 2 problems, one of which is quite dangerous and critical. 4 times the truck has run out of gas when the gauge is just above 1/4 tank. so we lose power steering and get one shot at the brakes. It always restarts but only after cranking for a bit. Since we always trailer, this one is bad. We either coast to the shoulder or I put it in neutral and try to get it restarted. GM cannot find it. Currently driving around with a VDR (vehicle data recorder) to try to capture the event) Also have an issue where the clutched fan will not come on so the truck will beagin to overheat. when it does it shuts down the AC. only happens in traffic or sitting still. We really like the truck for our purposes. 3 kids a cat and a dog and often times a few of the kids friends. Trailer is about 9000 loaded. Nothing else out there like it. We should be towing with a pickup but the interior space does not work for us. Like you I can not find much info on the 2500 Suburban/Yukon in the forums.

Archived