Handheld Tuner Review

kdixer

First of all I would like to request that this thread stays on the subject of handheld tuners and not custom tunes. I have no doubt they are better, I just choose to not go down that road at this point.

I have an 09 CC Silverado 5.3L 4wd with the 6L80E transmission. A while back I bought a used predator U7194 to try. I then decided to sell it to try something else so now I have a Superchips Cortex.

There were definatley benefits to both so here is my comparison:

Diablo - Great data logging features. I really like the ability to adjust timing and fuel trims. Personally I did not see much gain from adjusting the fuel trims but it is nice to have the ability. The most noticable aspect of the diablo tuner was the throttle lag. The diablo really helped with this issue. Other than that I honeslty could not tell much increase in performance. I felt the 93 octane tune was the best however I never ran 93 octane fuel due to the lack of knock retard. I did tons of data logging and the high octane tune is the only tune that had as much spark advance as my stock tune had. The biggest downside is it currently does not have TCM support as most already know.

Cortex - So far I am impressed with the tuning of the Cortex. It seems to have helped with the throttle lag as well. This programmer will data log as well although not as many parameters as the diablo. Everyone says you cannot tune the 6 speed with a handheld but I can promise the Cortex will. I can change WOT shift points for gears 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. You can also adjust Shift Torque (torque management). I first tried it at the preset levels and soon put the shift points back to stock. I found that it downshifted to first and really came to life at high rpm's more than I preferred. I may tweak the shift points later once I pinpoint an area I want to improve. You can adjust WOT shift points from stock to +10mph in .5mph increments. I am currently running with shift torque 25% between stock and Superchips preset value. I find that the shifting is slightly more aggressive yet smooth enough to suit my needs. You can adjust TM from stock, 25%, 50%, 75%, Superchips preset value, 125% or 150%. This tuners biggest drawback is it does not support custom tuning.

My winner as far as tuning is concerned is the Cortex. I could feel more seat of the pants improvement using the Cortex and I am sure the TCM support had alot to do with it. I have not ran it enough to compare mpg gains at this point. The throttle delay was improved with both of them.

As of right now I would pick the Cortex over the Diablo in the quality department as well. It has a better screen, it loads the tunes faster and is a lot smaller making it more convenient to store. Plus the Cortex has a 2 year powertrain warranty included. Both companys have a user forum to visit for online help.

I paid more for my Cortex than my used Diablo but everything needed was included in the box. If you buy a new Diablo you have to purchase the interface kit seperately. I can also buy an additional license for the Cortex and program a 2nd gm vehicle if I choose without buying an additional tuner. I will definatley check out AutCal when it comes out but I am skeptical as to what the price witha custom tune will be. Technically I will consider the AutoCAl as a handheld tuner LOL.

Overall the diablo has more of a following but I personally feel that is due to past products.

I hope this info helps someone because I know I would have appreciated it a couple of months ago.

nice write up thanks!

i may have to look into the cortex.... i mainly want to be able adjust for tire sizes (i tend to change frequently...) and reduce some TM & modify the shift speed/firmness.

I loved the diablo on my 2005 but after 2 years of "we're working on it" for tcm support and then they put out a statement recently that said "seriously, now we're actually working on it, we promose" they've lost my respect & business.

ive heard the autocal wont be able to tune the trans either... so if the cortex can indeed tune the 6spd then it sounds like thats the way to go for a gmt900 handheld.

ive heard the autocal wont be able to tune the trans either... so if the cortex can indeed tune the 6spd then it sounds like thats the way to go for a gmt900 handheld.

I recieved an e-mail from Justin yesterday that said Autocal will be able to tune the 6 speeds but like I said I am skeptical about the cost. I think by the time you pay for the unit plus an additional $200 or so for the tune to go with it, it would be pretty pricey. But that is just speculation on my part.

Like you I liked my Predator in my 02 Avalanche but I cannot understand why they do not offer TCM on the gmt900's. To me it just seems like they do not have it together. At first I thought it really must be complicated and everything I read stated that no handheld could tune the 6 speed. But SC can do it so in my opinion it just makes diablo's excuses look like BS.

I think there is room for improvement with the capabilities of the Cortex. I would like to see the adjustability the older predators have. But in my opinion it is one of the better hand held out right now.

thats good to hear about the autocal!

im in no rush so ill have to see what happens when that comes out. personally id rather give justin and jenna my business as opposed to a large company; sort of like the "support the mom & pop shops" ideology.

Thanks for the writeup. Very helpful. I've just about given up on the Autocal... it's been a very long time and pretty much sounds just like Diablo and their "TCM support". If you look at the EFI website, it still says "Field testing is planned for early in 2009 and public sales will commence soon after the field tests are complete." I've spent some time studying on the hand-helds, and have been satisfied with responses from Superchips and Hypertech support guys. Hypertech does not remove any TM, but they do look to have solid tuning for the 5.3, especially low-end torque. Superchips has more aggressive tuning (including TM), but no data on their low-end torque performance (that I've seen). I care about the low end for towing, so that's a ?? for me.

Just to clear this up, the AutoCal will have TCM support including the 6spds.

Just to clear this up, the AutoCal will have TCM support including the 6spds.

Any ballpark prices? Is the autocal the same thing you guys use for your scan cable tuning?

We can not release prices until the AutoCals are officially released to the public.

I guess there's no point asking for the latest "release date"? I realize that you guys have nothing to do with the release schedule and that EFI (hopefully) won't release it until it's bullet proof... but it never hurts to ask :tear:

Archived