Brake Controller

So i'm a new owner of a 07 Chevorlet Silverado. Just wondering if there was a brake controller option in 07 for the enw body style and if i can just plug and play a factory GM one or do i have to get an aftermarket one installed?

Thanks Caleb

Check with etrailer.com. I installed a prodigy in my o5 Silverado in 15 minutes. The optional wireing hook up makes it a sinch. As you said plug one end into the fuse box under the dash the other end in the controler and your good to go......

So i'm a new owner of a 07 Chevorlet Silverado. Just wondering if there was a brake controller option in 07 for the enw body style and if i can just plug and play a factory GM one or do i have to get an aftermarket one installed?

Thanks Caleb

There was an optional factory brake controller option for the '07 GMT900's,However it was only available on the HD's,Not the 1/2-tons. It was not until the '08 model model-year that it was available across the board on all models (except those with the 4.3-V6)

You cannot add the factory controller,There are too many parts needed,GM actually has a bulletin out telling dealers do not attempt to add it.

• 4 weeks later...

I own a 05 Yukon SLE with the 5.3l V8. I tow a 6500 pound 2009 Dutchmen Travel Trailer. My Husky brake controller turned out to be a huge piece of sh**. Took the GM dealer an hour of messing around with the wiring to verify that it was the brake controller causing my trailer brakes to surge and lock (even at the absolute lowest power settings). They installed their Draw-Tite Activator 2 and my trailer tows like a dream now.

I have to give their controller back soon and have ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy 2 with the plug and play harness for my Yukon. The question that I have is what settings should I use?

I hear of some people using a +1 boost and others using none.....I just don't want to have anymore problems. This issue has been going on for over a year.

Thanks Caleb

There was an optional factory brake controller option for the '07 GMT900's,However it was only available on the HD's,Not the 1/2-tons. It was not until the '08 model model-year that it was available across the board on all models (except those with the 4.3-V6)

You cannot add the factory controller,There are too many parts needed,GM actually has a bulletin out telling dealers do not attempt to add it.

Even on the 2010 models? Too bad if it is, the controller and bottom panel amounts to about $78 from gmpartsclub.

I hear of some people using a +1 boost and others using none.....I just don't want to have anymore problems. This issue has been going on for over a year.

The Prodigy is an inertial controller, and senses deceleration to apply brakes. The "boost" feature forces the trailer brake to engage to level 1, 2 or 3 even when you're not decelerating. A good time to use boost braking is coming down a steep incline, or if you feel like the truck is braking more than you want. I tow our camper with "Boost 1" engaged a lot since it feels best in stop/go traffic and slow downhill stops. Coming down a steep mountain, I may use boost 2. Don't think I've ever used level 3 yet.

I have added brake controllers to my GMT800's..... And I sell brake controllers..... My favorite controller is the Tekonsha P3. It is quite possibly the best one on the market.

I have mine mounted under the seat on my 1/2 ton........ My 3/4 ton it is hanging from the IP panel at my right knee (I did not put it in to start with so extra holes were made, I would have made a bracket and hung it with out drilling HOLES).

I dunno how much you haul but a GOOD controller is worth the money...

Jbo

2500HD towing an enclosed car hauler -about 6K lbs.

I now have the Tekonsha P3 now. Really a wonderful unit and worth every penny of the extra price. Plus you can move it from vehicle to vehicle with plug in ease. It clips into its mount and it has a quick disconnect plug on the rear of the unit - You can store it in your home with not needed so it doesn't get stolen out of your truck.

I bought it from E-Trailer because they provided excellent technical information when I needed it.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Brake_Controller.aspx

BTW - I needed the technical information - because the previous owner of my 2500HD had wired the junction box incorrectly... Turned out to be no big problem, but I needed help to figure it out. The Tech Support people at ETrailer.com provided clearly written and understandable information.

I'll buy anything I need from them..

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL

I'll third that Tekonsha P3. Works like a champ on my car hauler. Once you get the settings dialed in for your trailer (all of about a drive around the block), set it and forget it. Great little unit and am more than pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that helped with information! I installed our Tekonsha Prodigy this Sunday and took the trailer for a ride....it was freakin' awesome. I run a boost 1 and have output set at 5.5. I went to six, but under hard, non-emergent braking it cuased the trailer to fish a little bit.

I am already bidding on a P3 on ebay as I think I would prefer the buttons to the wheel. I won the Prodigy (p2) for $62.00 new in box on ebay. To anyone that is looking for a brake controller....TEKONSHA IS THE ONLY OPTION!

TEKONSHA IS THE ONLY OPTION!

+1 on that one. I put it on my 08 SD, and once set, never have touched it. My buddy had a different one (not inertia based), and he was always mucking with it (never braked right. Always over or under braking).

With my P3, you have to slap yourself once in a while to remember you have something in tow. Just feels like you loaded the box with something, but it's not dragging like an anchor or pushing you through an intersection.

TEKONSHA IS THE ONLY OPTION!

+1 on that one. I put it on my 08 SD, and once set, never have touched it. My buddy had a different one (not inertia based), and he was always mucking with it (never braked right. Always over or under braking).

With my P3, you have to slap yourself once in a while to remember you have something in tow. Just feels like you loaded the box with something, but it's not dragging like an anchor or pushing you through an intersection.

I agree...I couldn't believe that I was towing a trailer...never pushed, never pulled. It is freaking awesome! I have already put in a 2 bids for a p3 on ebay today!

Archived