Service 4 Wheel Drive

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Watwood

Watwood

Enthusiast

• 49 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

I'm getting that message in the information center on the dash, and the 4wd selector will not select (it's stuck in Auto). Started this morning and has been intermittent today. I'm guessing it's going to be either the switch on the dash, or the solenoid on the transfer case? On that note, are any of those covered under the 100,000 powertrain warranty, or is GM going to weasel out of it?

I've been fighting the urge to pick up a 2010 with the 6.2 and 3.73s, but between this and the power door lock actuator I just replaced in the passenger door, the urge is getting harder to fight...

2013 GMC Sierra SLE Ext Cab 4wd - 6.2

#2 SavageNFS

SavageNFS

Enthusiast

• 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

I'll bet it is the switch on the dash. They are known to go out. I would order a spare to have on hand. In the mean time, pull the dash panel, unplug it, plug it back in and it will likely work fine. Mine acted up at 37k miles and has been fine for the last 9k miles. I don't believe that is covered under the power train warranty, but it is under the bumper to bumper warranty.

#3 Taz107

Taz107

Enthusiast

• 57 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'm getting that message in the information center on the dash, and the 4wd selector will not select (it's stuck in Auto). Started this morning and has been intermittent today. I'm guessing it's going to be either the switch on the dash, or the solenoid on the transfer case? On that note, are any of those covered under the 100,000 powertrain warranty, or is GM going to weasel out of it?

I've been fighting the urge to pick up a 2010 with the 6.2 and 3.73s, but between this and the power door lock actuator I just replaced in the passenger door, the urge is getting harder to fight...

Pull the switch out, open it up so you can get at the back of the circuit board, check all the solder traces with a magnifying glass, bet you find a crack in the solder, or a cold solder.

Just take a soldering iron and touch it to the solder enough so it flows again and you should be good to go...doesn't hurt to do the others while your in there, or if you can't see which one is the open circuit...
Posted Image
2009 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 5.3L Crewcab Steel Grey
MODS:
2" Rough Country Level, 3" Ready-Lift Blocks, 3" Zone Offroad Body Lift, GM 5" Oval Side steps
20X9 Gear Recoil Wheels, 305/55/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Truxedo Low Pro QT Tonneau Cover, 20% Tint Front Windows, Magnaflow cat-back system

#4 DaleJrRocks88

DaleJrRocks88

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

I bet you have a C0327...very common on the 07/08 silverado's encoder sensor circuit malfunction. Replace the Transfer case range actuator and you'll be fine. I do believe it is covered under the 5/100,000 warranty. I'll need to check my list and see if the labor op is there.

Pull the switch out, open it up so you can get at the back of the circuit board, check all the solder traces with a magnifying glass, bet you find a crack in the solder, or a cold solder.

Just take a soldering iron and touch it to the solder enough so it flows again and you should be good to go...doesn't hurt to do the others while your in there, or if you can't see which one is the open circuit...

#5 darkfox1

darkfox1

Enthusiast

• 296 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado LT Crew

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

1300 miles and not even the first payment made already I have this problem.. truck won't go into anything but 2hi.

if I take this to autozone and they run a code scanner and it's the switch what will they find?

I'd take this thing back if I were in 30 days this is ridiculous.

#6 coloradoSkiCountry

coloradoSkiCountry

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

I did not know the "knob" 4WD switch found on the GMT-900s had problems. I thought only the push button switches on the GMT-800s were the ones with bad switches...
Posted Image

GM- Simply the best, and saying "To Hell with the rest!"

#7 darkfox1

darkfox1

Enthusiast

• 296 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

I just had onstar do their stupid little analprobe on my truck. :) she said it returned no codes.

I can't go out of 2hi.. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

I have 1300 miles on this thing I'm so mad..

#8 BigSilver

BigSilver

Enthusiast

• 82 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

I would bet its a faulty encoder motor. After seeing how delicate a component it is,
in design and manufacture, its surprising that it functions at all, after being
exposed to the environment.

#9 darkfox1

darkfox1

Enthusiast

• 296 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:19 AM

delicate and truck should not be in the same sentence.

is 1 rainy commute too much to ask? Where is all this being made now? China?

GM doesn't make it easy to be a fanboy do they? :) I've owned more GM vehicles than anything else.. never seen this kinda thing.

#10 darkfox1

darkfox1

Enthusiast

• 296 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

There's no codes.. he's "tracing wire harnesses" according to the tech.. I told them there's a TSB on the switch, he acted like I didn't know what I was talking about.

I've had this truck 27 days...

#11 oubobcat

oubobcat

Enthusiast

• 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

Understand the frustration and hope they fix it for you. My 2004 does this periodically.
2004 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLE Z71 4x4
Metallic Blue with 4.10 gears, XM, Bose

#12 darkfox1

darkfox1

Enthusiast

• 296 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

Bad encoder motor...

the 1st time 4wd was ever used it broke..

wtf?

am I gonna need a $900 part every time I use my 4wd?

they got it resolved quickly. I haven't tested 4wd but the error is gone at least.

#13 coloradoSkiCountry

coloradoSkiCountry

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

Hey they got it fixed. That's all that matters. No such thing as a perfect vehicle. Even $90,000 Mercedes run into issues brand new off the lot.

Bad encoder motor...

the 1st time 4wd was ever used it broke..

wtf?

am I gonna need a $900 part every time I use my 4wd?

they got it resolved quickly. I haven't tested 4wd but the error is gone at least.

Posted Image

GM- Simply the best, and saying "To Hell with the rest!"

#14 Watwood

Watwood

Enthusiast

• 49 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

It had been doing so well, had not acted up since I originally posted this, but lo and behold it poured for two days straight and it popped up again one morning. So, I'm wondering if it's an electrical short and water's doing the damage, or it's because it's always in "Auto" mode when it goofs, paralleled with the fact I'm not necessarily easy on the throttle, and the transfer case / encoder motor simply isn't beefy enough for that measly 300ftlbs.

2013 GMC Sierra SLE Ext Cab 4wd - 6.2

#15 NBSGMC

NBSGMC

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,032 posts
  • Drives:2013 LTZ

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

Are you using auto in the rain?

2013 GMT900 Silverado LTZ ECSB  

WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Liners and No Drill Splash Guards, LTZ Plus Package, Light/Dark Cashmere Leather, 18" Chrome LTZ Wheels.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users