Service 4 Wheel Drive

I'm getting that message in the information center on the dash, and the 4wd selector will not select (it's stuck in Auto). Started this morning and has been intermittent today. I'm guessing it's going to be either the switch on the dash, or the solenoid on the transfer case? On that note, are any of those covered under the 100,000 powertrain warranty, or is GM going to weasel out of it?

I've been fighting the urge to pick up a 2010 with the 6.2 and 3.73s, but between this and the power door lock actuator I just replaced in the passenger door, the urge is getting harder to fight...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet it is the switch on the dash. They are known to go out. I would order a spare to have on hand. In the mean time, pull the dash panel, unplug it, plug it back in and it will likely work fine. Mine acted up at 37k miles and has been fine for the last 9k miles. I don't believe that is covered under the power train warranty, but it is under the bumper to bumper warranty.

I'm getting that message in the information center on the dash, and the 4wd selector will not select (it's stuck in Auto). Started this morning and has been intermittent today. I'm guessing it's going to be either the switch on the dash, or the solenoid on the transfer case? On that note, are any of those covered under the 100,000 powertrain warranty, or is GM going to weasel out of it?

I've been fighting the urge to pick up a 2010 with the 6.2 and 3.73s, but between this and the power door lock actuator I just replaced in the passenger door, the urge is getting harder to fight...

Pull the switch out, open it up so you can get at the back of the circuit board, check all the solder traces with a magnifying glass, bet you find a crack in the solder, or a cold solder.

Just take a soldering iron and touch it to the solder enough so it flows again and you should be good to go...doesn't hurt to do the others while your in there, or if you can't see which one is the open circuit...

I bet you have a C0327...very common on the 07/08 silverado's encoder sensor circuit malfunction. Replace the Transfer case range actuator and you'll be fine. I do believe it is covered under the 5/100,000 warranty. I'll need to check my list and see if the labor op is there.

Pull the switch out, open it up so you can get at the back of the circuit board, check all the solder traces with a magnifying glass, bet you find a crack in the solder, or a cold solder.

Just take a soldering iron and touch it to the solder enough so it flows again and you should be good to go...doesn't hurt to do the others while your in there, or if you can't see which one is the open circuit...

• 1 month later...

1300 miles and not even the first payment made already I have this problem.. truck won't go into anything but 2hi.

if I take this to autozone and they run a code scanner and it's the switch what will they find?

I'd take this thing back if I were in 30 days this is ridiculous.

delicate and truck should not be in the same sentence.

is 1 rainy commute too much to ask? Where is all this being made now? China?

GM doesn't make it easy to be a fanboy do they? :) I've owned more GM vehicles than anything else.. never seen this kinda thing.

Hey they got it fixed. That's all that matters. No such thing as a perfect vehicle. Even $90,000 Mercedes run into issues brand new off the lot.

Bad encoder motor...

the 1st time 4wd was ever used it broke..

wtf?

am I gonna need a $900 part every time I use my 4wd?

they got it resolved quickly. I haven't tested 4wd but the error is gone at least.

• 4 months later...

It had been doing so well, had not acted up since I originally posted this, but lo and behold it poured for two days straight and it popped up again one morning. So, I'm wondering if it's an electrical short and water's doing the damage, or it's because it's always in "Auto" mode when it goofs, paralleled with the fact I'm not necessarily easy on the throttle, and the transfer case / encoder motor simply isn't beefy enough for that measly 300ftlbs.