Service 4 Wheel Drive

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took mine in today for slow 4WD engagement. I have also received the "service 4WD" message a couple of times. The service advisor told me it was a "shorted front differential actuator" that's coverd under the powertrain warranty. Your problem sounds similar.

It had been doing so well, had not acted up since I originally posted this, but lo and behold it poured for two days straight and it popped up again one morning. So, I'm wondering if it's an electrical short and water's doing the damage, or it's because it's always in "Auto" mode when it goofs, paralleled with the fact I'm not necessarily easy on the throttle, and the transfer case / encoder motor simply isn't beefy enough for that measly 300ftlbs.

• 2 weeks later...

It rained hard again, and "Service 4 Wheel Drive" popped up, so I took it to the dealership. Naturally, they told me it was the switch on the dash and not the actuator on the 4wd system. So, I have one of those at the house, told them I could replace that myself. I'll take pics of me replacing it, and if it comes back on, I swear to Buddha, feces will be slung. So, $75 for their time hooking it up to the latest and greatest code reader.

It rained hard again, and "Service 4 Wheel Drive" popped up, so I took it to the dealership. Naturally, they told me it was the switch on the dash and not the actuator on the 4wd system. So, I have one of those at the house, told them I could replace that myself. I'll take pics of me replacing it, and if it comes back on, I swear to Buddha, feces will be slung. So, $75 for their time hooking it up to the latest and greatest code reader.

Please take pics. I just posted a thread about this. I am having intermittent issues with my 4x4 too.

Are there any diagrams on replacing this???

-Slyder

had same code.

onstar only showed code when the service indicator was on.

Took truck in for oil change and it came on so i left truck running so they could pull the code.

ended up a bad modual they had to replace

Covered under warentee

• 2 weeks later...

Mine acts up as well. 4WD light won't come on unless I take Traction control off. I can park on a hill attempt to put in 4WD, Ican hear something but no 4WD light, let off brake and it feels like I'm still on brakes, requires more throttle than normal............?

I'm having the same problem with the "Service 4wd" message on my 08 Z71. It will get stuck in 4wd or will not engage at all at random times. I finally took it to the dealership yesterday because I am about to sell the truck and want it to be in good shape for whoever happens to buy it. It is under 100k so it has the so called power-train warranty. The dealer finally called me back today and said that they couldn't get the message to appear but found two codes stored on the computer, one for the 4wd switch and the other for the transfer case control module. They also told me that they didn't think that either was covered under the warranty.

Has anyone had this problem fixed under the warranty?

If its not covered, I'll probably just pay the $100 fee for them to run the diagnostics on it and sell it as is instead of dropping who knows what on the dealership to fix it assuming they know what is going on.

I also plan on checking the switch to make sure it is not the problem. The dealership I took it to is somewhat new and seems like they have no idea what they are doing...

Update: Dealership called back this afternoon and said that the module is covered under warranty, but the switch is not. They will be changing out the module tomorrow but said that it may be the switch as well. Does anyone know a good place to get a new 4wd switch?

• 2 weeks later...

just got this message come up on my 08 with 115k

It's still under warranty, looks like it will have to go see the dr tomorrow

edit- this is why I was much happier with the 4x4 system in my GMT-800, I drove the piss out of it.. and was a little neglegant on maintenance since it was pretty old, and the 4x4 would always work without a problem.

My father had alot of issues with the AWD in his 03 trailblazer

Edited by 02slt

Looks like the system just froze up..

I parked it in the garage overnight, and everything worked fine in the morning.

Should the 4 wheel drive system in these trucks be freezing up so easily?

It was outside for maybe 4 hours in -17 the service 4 wheel drive light came on.