First Oil Change, When?

This is for my 2010 CC 4x4 with the 5.3L.

When do you guys recommend doing the first oil change? I am at about 2500 miles right now. I do oil changes on my other vehicles at 3k mile intervals with regular oil and at 5k mile intervals with fully synthetic. Should I go by the mileage or should I wait till the oil life monitoring system tells me to change the oil?

Also, should I switch to a fully synthetic oil or stick with dino? 5W-30 right?

I just bought a 2010 as well and I have been wondering the same thing. Naturally I started asking around and Ive heard that first oil change should be done around 1500 miles or so. Though its not crucial or even a proven method. Basically what they told me was that on a new truck you are more likely to get some contaminants in the engine components that may have collected while the truck was being built. So its good to put some miles on it as to flush the system and then get the oil and filter changed and then go back to your normal schedule of 3000 miles or so. Now like I said, this isnt something I necessarily heard from a master mechanic. Is it true? I dont know. But it does sound plausible so thats what I am going to do anyways.

I just changed the oil in my 2010 6.2L today. It looked pretty clean on the dipstick and I was hesitant. Just under 3000 km which is approx 1850 miles.

Well when I looked in the drain pan, which included what came out of the filter, the oil did look dirtier, and I was glad I changed it.

I used the AC filter PF48 and GM oil this time, dealer gave me a good deal when I bought the truck on some filters and oil. On my 2007 and other vehicle I have always used mobil 1, but I am thinking I may switch to some other syntehetic, such as Penzoil platinum or Castrol Syntec. I'll have to do some research on Bob's oil site, and see what the latest is.

As a note to anyone with the 6.2L, I loosened the oil filter and then let it drip out until I finished removing it, seemd to let a lot of oil out, more than my 6.0L did in the past. Now as far as the oil drain plug is concerned, I knew to have the edge of the drain pan as far as I could over from the plug, and wow did it shoot far over from the pan plug, seemed a lot more furhter than the 6.0 L had done previously and I did a lot of oil changes on that vehicle. It's a 15mm wrench for the drain plug.

So my view is change it, but be careful.

Doug

As a note to anyone with the 6.2L, I loosened the oil filter and then let it drip out until I finished removing it, seemd to let a lot of oil out, more than my 6.0L did in the past. Now as far as the oil drain plug is concerned, I

Didnt notice anything different with my 6.2 from my old truck (00 5.3) or Tahoe (08 5.3)

This is for my 2010 CC 4x4 with the 5.3L.

When do you guys recommend doing the first oil change? I am at about 2500 miles right now. I do oil changes on my other vehicles at 3k mile intervals with regular oil and at 5k mile intervals with fully synthetic. Should I go by the mileage or should I wait till the oil life monitoring system tells me to change the oil?

Also, should I switch to a fully synthetic oil or stick with dino? 5W-30 right?

Hrmmm, I always heard 500 miles :cheers: ......... then 1500, then 3k from then on out.... I don't care what the stupid monitor says..... It does not test the oil it stabs into the dark. Don't believe me does it factor use without the air filter? Or where some body forgot to OIL the K&N filter? Or how about that 2000 mile trip with the boat and your camping gear you did a month ago?

Jbo

I changed mine at 800 miles with Dino oil, and then changed it again at 2,000 with Mobil one. From than on I have changed it by the OLM with Mobile 1 5w30 and mobile 1 filters. 44,500 miles now and not a single problem.

ETA: I just switched from M1 filters to K&N filters when I changed my oil 2 days ago. No real reason, just wanted to I guess. :cheers:

I have close to 5,000 miles on my 09 with a 5.3 and the Oil Life is around 42%.

The dealer told me to wait until the Oil life gets less than 30% then I could change it.

He said they are not like the old engines where you needed the first change because of break-in wear and all that. He said I could change it if I wanted to but there was no need.

They talked me out of an oil change.

I got a coupon for an oil change from the dealer for $14.95. I may take them up on the offer in a couple of weeks.

I changed mine at 800 miles with Dino oil, and then changed it again at 2,000 with Mobil one. From than on I have changed it by the OLM with Mobile 1 5w30 and mobile 1 filters. 44,500 miles now and not a single problem.

ETA: I just switched from M1 filters to K&N filters when I changed my oil 2 days ago. No real reason, just wanted to I guess. :banghead:

You mean you skipped that critical 50 mile oil change? :cheers:

Did you change the air in your tires at 800 and 2,000 miles? :cheers:

I changed mine at 500, 2500 and 5000 miles with regular oil. Then I switched to synthetic and go every 5000 miles.

Basically what I do as well on a new vehicle except I go longer on the final oil drains after I reach the 5k mark. :cheers:

ETA: I just switched from M1 filters to K&N filters when I changed my oil 2 days ago. No real reason, just wanted to I guess. :banghead:

You mean you skipped that critical 50 mile oil change? :cheers:

Did you change the air in your tires at 800 and 2,000 miles? :cheers:

I am just picky I guess. :devil:

My dealer included $10.95 oil & filter change for as long as I own the truck.

They use the OEM Filter and Mobil Dino Oil.

I did the first change at 500. Then following changes when the oil change indicator gets to 50%.

Archived