Biggest Tires You Can Put On Stock 17's And It Still Look Good

I really like the factory 17" rims and my tires are about shot...just wandering what is the biggest tire I can put on the factory rims and it still look good...

Thanks

I just put some 265/70/17 on mine, they aren't much bigger then stock but they look really good on it

Biggest tire - well, the tallest is the Toyo Open Country M/T 34.1 " LT285/75/17...

that doesnt mean it will fit your stock wheel well without leveling and some trimming

I think most LT285/70/17's will fit with a leveling kit

I really like the factory 17" rims and my tires are about shot...just wandering what is the biggest tire I can put on the factory rims and it still look good...

Thanks

I just put some 265/70/17 on mine, they aren't much bigger then stock but they look really good on it

I am in the same situations, time to replace the stock 245/70/17s at 40k miles.

I was at the tire shop today getting an oil change and tire shopping. They recommended going with the 265/70/17 to better fill the wheel wells and have more choices in tires. My question is how/what do I need to do in order to correct my speedometer? Is there anything else that will be affected by this change? such as TPMS, TC,... It is a pretty small change and I figure about 3.6% error.

I was reading some older posts that had issues but none were on the new body style and I don't know if they are relavent. I have an 07 new body crew cab.

This is my first post... guess I need a signature block w/pic, mods, etc.

Thanks

I am in the same situations, time to replace the stock 245/70/17s at 40k miles.

I was at the tire shop today getting an oil change and tire shopping. They recommended going with the 265/70/17 to better fill the wheel wells and have more choices in tires. My question is how/what do I need to do in order to correct my speedometer? Is there anything else that will be affected by this change? such as TPMS, TC,... It is a pretty small change and I figure about 3.6% error.

I was reading some older posts that had issues but none were on the new body style and I don't know if they are relavent. I have an 07 new body crew cab.

This is my first post... guess I need a signature block w/pic, mods, etc.

Your speedometer may not be off. I know mine isn't and I went from 265 70 17 to 285 70 17... Also, your tire pressure light may come on because you are putting more PSI in the bigger tires

Bumping to 265s will not cause much difference in driveability. Going bigger will begin to affect your fuel mileage and acceleration / stopping performance. Larger diameter (and heavier) tires can sap mileage.

EDIT: If you shop around (like on Tirerack.com) you can find a great tire that is actually lighter than some others. I'm currently looking at 275-55-20s and the Pirellis I have now weigh 48 pounds each. I found Michelin LTX in the same size that weigh 39 and several others that weigh 40- 41 pounds. Most people don't think about this when buying tires but lighter means less unsprung weight and overall better performance.

my truck has the 285/70/17 bfg at kos and they fit fine. A little more road noise than I like but really nice tires. I may go with the michelin ltx ms next go round same size though.

EDIT: If you shop around (like on Tirerack.com) you can find a great tire that is actually lighter than some others. I'm currently looking at 275-55-20s and the Pirellis I have now weigh 48 pounds each. I found Michelin LTX in the same size that weigh 39 and several others that weigh 40- 41 pounds. Most people don't think about this when buying tires but lighter means less unsprung weight and overall better performance.

i dont think an extra 36lbs will make a noticable difference in everyday driving.

i dont think an extra 36lbs will make a noticable difference in everyday driving.

Might wanna think that one over again. 9 pounds of additional unsprung weight per corner is HUGE. More than enough to make a large difference. It's definitely enough difference to feel and will cost you at the pump.

Archived