Trailer Light Connector Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 motoman59

motoman59

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

My trailer electrical connector (7pin) suddenly stopped working with no power to any of the trailer lighting. This is a 2003 Silverado extra cab short bed. I have looked at all fuses related to the trailer harness in all fuse panels. I can't find one that controls the whole unit. This is dire. Need to tow my boat! Fishing is here!!!
Any help would be great!

Edited by motoman59, 26 May 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#2 bossier62guy

bossier62guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,613 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2002 Silverado Z-71

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

My trailer electrical connector (7pin) suddenly stopped working with no power to any of the trailer lighting. This is a 2003 Silverado extra cab short bed. I have looked at all fuses related to the trailer harness in all fuse panels. I can't find one that controls the whole unit. This is dire. Need to tow my boat! Fishing is here!!!
Any help would be great!

If you've lost all lights (park, left/right blinkers, stop) at your plug I'd start looking for a damaged/loose ground. Have you checked anything w/ a multimeter? Are you sure it's not your trailer?

#3 motoman59

motoman59

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

I was checking the truck side to find a hot lead to connect the cap dome light with a test light. I must have shorted something. I fiqured I blew a fuse. I checked every fuse (all good) and everything in the manual related to trailer connector. Trailer is working. I cant find anything wrong other than I have no power or lights working at the connector. The under dash fuse/relay panel that is supposed have a relay or connector of some kind has nothing in the place where the schematic show it to be.

#4 700 sportsman

700 sportsman

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,265 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:42 AM

I would check the ground, and the connector for the wiring that taps into the taillight harness

#5 bossier62guy

bossier62guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,613 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2002 Silverado Z-71

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

I was checking the truck side to find a hot lead to connect the cap dome light with a test light. I must have shorted something. I fiqured I blew a fuse. I checked every fuse (all good) and everything in the manual related to trailer connector. Trailer is working. I cant find anything wrong other than I have no power or lights working at the connector. The under dash fuse/relay panel that is supposed have a relay or connector of some kind has nothing in the place where the schematic show it to be.

Do you remember what pin you were checking? There is nothing common to all the lights that go to the trailer plug except the ground. There has to be more to the story....lol.

Edited by bossier62guy, 27 May 2010 - 06:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users